Search This Blog

Sunday, November 5, 2023

TIME AFTER TIME!

After my walk, last Sunday, in glorious technicolour, and beautifully warm temperatures, I came home and called my sister.  The clocks had not gone back in England, but not here.  My day was completely disorganised, but I accomplished what I needed to do!  I called my sister and when the call was almost over, she announced she was going for a walk, and put on her thick jacket, with a furry edged hood, and made me feel very hot!  "I am wearing shorts and a t-shirt".  I said "cheerio", finished typing and looked out of the window, to see if there was a break in the clouds, and wondered if I would just go for a swim, or be able to sit and read for a bit.  I looked at the temperature on my trusty device, and noticed that it had dropped thirty degrees since the glorious technicolour walk!  Eighty four to fifty four in a matter of three hours!  I quickly donned my costume, ran out and jumped into the water, which was still a wonderful seventy eight degrees.  ("Yes, she does have a gauge", Dana told someone when they asked how I knew how hot was the water!)

I walked down the alley at the back of my house, to my neighbour's condo, where a "Halloween Open House" was being hosted by three lady neighbours, My Lemon Drizzle cake and Coffee Drizzle cake were place on the table, which had a variety of wonderful canapes.  One of my neighbours had made some creative treats with pretzels and straws, making a besom, and ghouls made of donut holes!  Marshmallow ghosts and other amazing little bits and pieces bedecked the table.  

It was a wonderful afternoon.  An intimate little gathering of eleven neighbours, we told stories, ate and enjoyed a couple of hours of oblivion.  I was very excited when my coffee cake received extreme praise.  I had adapted it from a recipe, and really thought through the changes, rather than went for my usual method of going in 'both feet first', and then contemplating what needed to be done!  

As I walked back along the alley, I wished I had my sister's coat!  Although just half a dozen doors down, I was freezing when I reached my back door!  

Freezing was, apparently, what it felt like on Monday morning.  It was pouring with rain, and although the temperature was about six or seven degrees above the 'zero' number, the wind was making it colder. Coat, hat and boots were worn and I mourned the possibility that yesterday was my last swimming day of the season.  It is always a sad time!

Dana and I went out for dinner after work, as I had been quite remiss and not taken out anything from the freezer.  Of all nights that it would have been better to go straight home, into the warm, and not make a detour, it was late, and as the 'deli' where we went offers a free ice-cream to all patrons, we enjoyed the outing!  Thankfully,, the old-fashioned notion that ice-cream can only be eaten when it is hot, does not exist in our minds!

It felt quite normal to put on my suit and go swimming on Wednesday evening.  I left the office and it was still sunny when I arrived home, but the sun had left the pool sometime earlier. It was quite cold, but I persevered.  I was quite surprised when I completed the course before my timer went off!  I came back to the condo and put my dinner into the oven.  The comments about my peach and apricot pie were very positive, and I was praised about the way it looked.  "I love the lattice work" said one of my guests.  "So pretty" said another.  "Makes it nice and light" said a third.  I admitted that this was because I had not made enough pastry to make a complete lid!  

By Thursday morning, the temperature had dropped again, and the cold returned.  I saw Raul as I came back from my walk.  "Noo!" he announced, very shocked, when I said I had been swimming the previous evening.  "But it's cold!" he said, wondering whether to be shocked or worried.  He was concerned for my health, but I reminded him that I am no longer (note the word 'no') one who pushes to the extreme.  I have become far more sensible!  I still push to a degree, but I do not need to prove anything.  I never did, unless it was to myself!  

There were no 'meet and greets' this week, and no concerts, but Grant did call to me during the afternoon.  "Mrs Lady!  Did you want to see Tim McGraw?"  Despite the concert not being until next year, the draw was made, and Grant had won!  The same rules apply!  He wins, the old lady tags along!  

By Friday, outside started to 'perk up'.  Once again, I wondered how we got here as I feel like the rest of the week just disappeared into one day!  I thought it was going to be a quiet day, without any problems, but I received something in the mail that changed that.  Without going into specific details, we have been allowed to 'serve' inmates by certified mail, through a 'designated representative'.  I think I have mentioned my calls to correctional units in the past.  However, there has been a change as mail now has to go through a central dispatch, as apparently, people are soaking paper with contraband substances, and when the paper dries, the substance can be used.  Obviously, my first thought was, "How awful!"  Actually, it was not.  My first thought was, 'wow'! This was followed by 'clever'. Some things, despite being illegal, immoral or any other adjective appropriate, I find to be quite brilliant, but possibly because I would never think of doing it!  I digress.  I checked the details of the new ruling, and wondered how it affected us, as process servers. We would have to have prove that it got to the inmate, or representative.  I found that legal documents could be received by mail.  I called the Criminal Justice Board.  She put me through to the Central Bureau of Investigation, who put me through to someone else, who patched me over to someone else, who transferred me to someone else, who shouted, 'pick up the phone', and Ashely answered.  She could not help me.  Process servers are not legal people, so they cannot send legal documents.  I quoted rules and laws to her.  "I just don't know.  Maybe they didn't think this through", she said.  Once again, the English woman had found something to which no one knew the answer!  I vowed to find a solution!

It was a beautiful day, and we left the office late again, despite packing up at a reasonable time.  We went to our usual haunt and picked up tacos.  The queue was at the door, and the people in front decided to order online.  "Let's see who gets theirs first", said the man in the party in front of me.  He was unconvinced that they would get their order any quicker than me.  As it happens, as I reached the front of the line, they were just making up their order, so it was as broad as it was long!  I enjoyed the challenge, however.  It made the wait better!  I think we must go too often to the location as the new man on the taco press knew what I wanted!  The girl at the till handed me a cup for a soft drink.  "You already got a free meal as your card was punched, so I can't give you a freebee.  So here is a drink!"  They do take such good care of us!

I started Saturday with a walk, and wished I had gone for a swim.  I did later on and found the water to have dropped to 65.  Suits are now needed!  It felt very cold, but I persevered, and managed to swim half a mile!  I was quite amazed, but pleased.  I floated for a little after, as I knew this would not last.  After the sun had left the patio, I focused on clearing out the garden, and found that a lot of dill was appearing out in the alley!  I knew I planted a lot but nothing happened in the heat!

Sunday morning the clocks went back.  I showed Samantha my phone, as I knew she would be the only person who appreciated it.  The temperature is shown by the hour, and went from 12, to 1am to a second 1am!  I got up and took fifteen minutes to put on the 'other' suit, as it had dried out and was very tight!  I walked down to the pool, and once horizontal in the water, just floated.  It was a hard swim as I had to fight the buoyancy!  I came back up and was exhausted.  

There are no plans for next week, again, but I believe Friday is a holiday in lieu of Veterans Day.  Once again, my poppy is out and I am wearing it proudly.  I had to laugh as I remembered telling my mother that Samantha had crocheted one, so I could have it forever.  "The point of the poppy is to raise funds for the British Legion", she said, "So it defeats the object not to buy one".  I reminded her of the war of Independence and how the Americans are not famous for their supporting the British Legion!  Once again, I am grateful for all those who gave their life for freedom.  I am not sure if I will work or play on Friday, but whatever I do, I have the freedom to do it thanks to those who are no longer here.  I shall no doubt let you know how I spent my day ....  in another story!


No comments:

Post a Comment