Search This Blog

Sunday, October 29, 2023

BABY DON'T GO!

Despite the rain, it was still quite humid.  I was not convinced I would be 'allowed out' on Monday.  We had won seats to see Drew Holcombe, a singer from Nashville, who was going to entertain the live audience at the radio station.  We had been so busy, I did not think it fair to leave Dana alone, and as I had already told Grant and Samantha, and as the food was going to be provided by Valencia Tex-Mex restaurant, they were quite excited.  However, Dana was quite gracious and said he would manage the thirty 'spam' calls for each hour we were out, and it was before noon, so we could catch up in the afternoon.

We arrived about eleven fifteen, and it was a surprise not to see Rosa at the window.  "Yes?" said the young girl.  I showed her my email, and she looked at me, Samantha, Grant, and of course the baby!  The security guard opened the door for us, and greeted us with a modicum of recognition, as he, too was not the usual guy, but we have seen him before.  Try as the 'other' young girl might, she could not find Samantha's name on her list, but it appeared that we were known!  "No Rosa?" I asked.  "No!  She is not here today!"  Also, no Momo.  Perhaps she was on holiday?  

There were a few comments, and a few looks of slight irritation from the man presenting the programme, and from the young girls who had been on the desk, and had come to watch the show.  Personally, I would not have taken the baby to the show, but in the past both Momo and Rosa have insisted he come!  It is a new age, where women can bring their babies, and it would be considered discrimination if they were told they had to leave them at home!  I am not sure I am 'down with that', but as it is my grandson, I will endure it, unless he misbehaves, and then I shall be the first to say, "leave".  

We sat by the door, in case of emergencies but it was not necessary.  As soon as the show started, the baby was given his bottle, and he was happy.  He was also fascinated by the man taking the video and photos.  When the audience clapped, he clapped, as that is his 'new' trick!  

The music was terrific, and the guy himself was very amusing, and very talented.  He spoke a bit about his family, and other musicians with whom he is friendly, and sang for us.  It was a great show.  Grant and I looked at each other, knowingly, not saying that this was perhaps better than last week's performance.


Lunch had not arrived when we exited the studio, and we stood and waited.  An older lady with a younger friend were chatting by the stairs.  "I was a stay at home mother", said the older one.  "We stayed at home, or one of us stayed at home with the children".  I looked over at Samantha, who had handed over the baby to Grant while she took some things out of her bag.  It occurred to me that they may have thought they were the 'parents', and one of them should have stayed at home with the child!  The other, younger, lady said that her son was eight years old.  She said that it was only another ten years before he will be going off to college.  I was a little amazed that she was thinking more years than the actual age of her son.  It struck me as rather sad.  

Lunch was scrumptious.  The baby ate quite well, which was not a problem as each one of us could bring one guest.  Four tickets, four meals!  We did manage to take some back for Dana, as Teddy did not eat his full share!

We worked and worked in the afternoon, and did not get home until quite late.  It had been an unusual Monday, but we had enjoyed ourselves.  Another one to 'write home' about!

I received a text from my nail lady.  "What is the difference between dessert and cake?" she asked. Apparently, she is watching the 'British Bake Off; and wanted to know the 'English' answer, as there was 'dessert week' and 'cake week'.  I explained that dessert is for after lunch or dinner, and cake is for afternoon tea!  One does not have cake for dessert!  How on earth does the modern day world work out how a 'trifle' came about!  Fruit. cream, and perhaps some jelly, (jello, not jam,) from after Sunday lunch, and then the base from cake at tea time.  Of course, I did not go into the 'northern' equivalent of dinner being lunch, and tea being dinner, and the afternoon break with cake and crumpets not necessarily having a name.  Perhaps they just didn't do afternoon tea!  Maybe only the 'gentry' did afternoon tea.  

The rain was quite persistent all week.  Thankfully it was coming through humid air, and the water was still quite warm.  I took my umbrella to the pool to keep my towel and jacket dry!  Swimming in the rain has a certain wonder to it.  Walking to and from the pool with an umbrellas, a Union Jack umbrella, always causes comments.

I was not quite sure where the week had gone.  Before we looked around, it was Friday, and we were getting ready for a weekend.  Grant was sitting in my office, asking me a 'civil procedure' rule, when a delivery man knocked on the door, and tentatively looked around as he opened it very slowly.  "Come in", I said, quite loudly.  "Dogs?" he asked.  "No dogs", I assured him.  He walked in, still not with a lot of confidence, and told me that someone had said there were dogs in the office!  I tried not to laugh, but told him that they are always behind a gate, and therefore unable to 'attack'.  "What kind of dogs are they?"  Grant and I replied in unison, "Dachshunds".  The man looked a little sheepish.  "I was expecting a German Shepherd, or something like that!  They said there were dogs and to be very careful!"  We laughed.  He was convinced that someone was setting him up for a fall!  

I drove to Samantha, again, on Saturday.  We were going shopping and then to the Petoberfest (no longer dogtoberfest, as there were complaints - no doubt not from the animals themselves).  After managing to get everything on our lists, we headed back to pick up the dogs, and then on to the 'fest'.  Having two cars, we managed to find two spaces quite quickly.  However, we realised that we were not in the usual car park, and had to walk for quite a while before finding the event!  I say finding as there were about a dozen stalls.  It took up less than one block of the enormous shopping complex, and they were not particularly well attended.  Perhaps it was because of the rain, or perhaps no one could be bothered!  There was no word of a 'best dog costume' for those who had dressed up their dogs, (Halloween) and it was all a bit of a shambles.  We walked up to the end, and back again, and stopped at a stall where the boys were given some food.  As I stood waiting, the band struck up and sang a couple of songs.  They were quite good, but playing to a very small audience. Then they started singing something that sounded familiar.  "I wanna be your sledgehammer", belted out the lead singer.  I had to laugh.  Always after a concert, at least one song is played somewhere within the next week or two!  I took a video and sent it to Grant.  


I knew I was going to be home a little later than I usually like on a Saturday, but it was raining intermittently and it did not seem like there would be an opportunity to sit and read for a while.  However, the rain stopped, the sun came out and it became very warm.  We had walked about a mile to meet one of my daughter's friends, who was there with her little one.  I sat outside the restaurant where the friend was, and realised how hot it was, and how much the dogs needed a drink.  After a while, Samantha reappeared with some water for the dogs, followed by her friend, who walked back to the car park with us.  I was quite exhausted!  I drove myself home and packed away my refrigerated and frozen goods, and then ran downstairs to get the last few rays after a swim.  

Having had a chat with one neighbour about a 'Halloween' get together by the pool, and if I bake, he will cook, (in English that is the same to me,) I was delighted to receive an invite to a 'open house' for today, as it was today that the original neighbour suggested the 'party'.  I had not thought much about it as I assumed (correctly) that he would forget his suggestion, and I would not have to worry about turning out my usual supply of goodies!  Callous as that may seem, and perhaps a little ungracious, I could not really contemplate a morning of cooking.  Instead, I made two cakes!  Before swimming!  On a Sunday morning!  After all, the 'open house' is at 4, and that is tea time, and as I said, cake is for tea!  

The rain poured as I went for my post-breakfast walk, and although it was not prognosticated to last all day, the clouds do not appear to have a break.  However, (yes, you know,) this is Texas and we can wait five minutes!  I shall not doubt report the afternoon events, with the 'tea' and weather during next weeks instalment of ........... another story!


No comments:

Post a Comment