Search This Blog

Sunday, November 12, 2023

ON THE CAT WALK!

It was not quite the Sunday I was expecting.  A beautiful day though it was to start, the rain poured around ten in the morning.  It was probably enough to dampen the testosterone in the two tom cats that have been stalking our complex.  Timmy, the beautiful Persian, who has been visiting for years and has now decided to come and go as he pleases, taking up part time residency, mostly in the pool area, was back on the prowl.  Another feline by the name of Sterling, who apparently hails from the neighbourhood above, has decided that the territory is 'up for grabs' and has taken to 'cross the border' at will!  Timmy has been accepted as an 'adoptee', and whilst Sterling's application has not yet received the rubber seal of all who live here (I didn't know of his existence) he has been a regular visitor by all accounts.  Sunday morning was the time to decide on who was going to be the King and who would go home defeated!  I, for one, was not having anyone from outside the community, be it feline, canine, equine, bovine or primate take authority!

I heard the literal 'cat call' as I was wading my way through the first couple of laps, and did not pay much attention.  I thought that perhaps it was the squirrels, although they do tend to bark more than yowl.  Then, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a cat.  He (as I now know him to be a tom) was standing with his back arched, tail extended, in the pounce position.  I looked around for a bird, or perhaps a squirrel, and was quite surprised to see, standing a few feet from the edge of the pool, Timmy!  Timmy did not look particularly concerned, but then Timmy never looks particularly concerned.  As far as cats are concerned, and I am no expert, Timmy is about as laid back as they come!  However, despite the nonchalant expression of said cat, I was not going to have a wonderful morning spoiled by brawling males!

My shoe did nothing to stop the hissing and prowling, despite whacking it several times on the ground.  A few hisses of my own and some quite poignant growls seemed to gain the attention of both the toms, who looked at me with distain!  Thankfully, however, they seemed to get the message, and fled the area.  I continued with my morning exercise, and heard no more noise in the form of feline dominance.  

The rain poured as I hauled myself up the hill after breakfast, and then stopped as quickly as it started.  The sun shone, and the water was much warmer by the time I went back down to my favourite spot just after lunchtime.  The clocks had 'gone back' and the sun disappeared off the pool at about three thirty.  I decided to potter some more in the garden, and cleaned the pots that I had emptied the previous day.  

Once again, spring like temperatures took hold and I was able to 'aqua' exercise again.  Although I enjoy walking, as a rule, it is not as 'refreshing' as the gliding in liquid.  Having said that, gliding is not something I do well in the wetsuit!  My trip down on Monday was not as easy as I would have liked, as I found it quite hard to get the better suit on, and felt as it I had left the hanger in place!  My arms were definitely extended outwards, and it took quite some time to get the material to give and for me to get into my stride!  Thankfully, no one is around at that time in the morning, and if they are, they pay little attention to the lunatic English woman in the water!  "It's just her" I can imagine them telling their dogs! 

The day was long, and arduous.  I could not fathom having a day off on Friday, if it was going to be this busy.  I walked in the evening, as it had been raining, and it was quite dark by the time we got home.  It would have been dark anyway as the nights are now 'drawing in', and the sun sets before we leave.  Winter is (sort of) on its way!  On my walk, I encountered two neighbours, one of whom was walking, albeit in the opposite direction.  I told them of my 'cat' encounter, and one of them told me that I needed to let another neighbour know, as she had spotted them walking together, as if they were the best of friends!  As my episode was before my other neighbour's, we determined that they had given up the idea of 'leadership', and a coalition was formed. "So I should think!" I responded.  "After all, they are here as visitors!"  We laughed at the audacity of the felines, and went on our way.

My 'tchotchke' cleaning had been delayed this season, due to the front door debacle.  I had emptied my unit, washed everything, and left all on the kitchen counter to dry.  Of course, we arrived home late on Tuesday, and although I had dinner prepared, I was not prepared to clean away everything so late!  I cannot fathom how there are so many people who want to sue each other!  I know it is good for business, but it appears there are 'new and improved' methods for getting someone to 'pay up' for something that really is not necessary! Oh well!  Takes all sorts to make a world!  Reading through a couple of the most recent filed suits, I sat there murmuring, "You have to be kidding!"  "She looked at me funny", or "He said, "Good morning", and my morning was anything but good!"  Yes, I kid you not!  An innocent out of place remark, although pays the bills, is really just that, is it not?  However, I digress!  All I knew was that because someone was having a bad day, my day was lengthened!  Do not get me wrong, this keeps me in bread and butter, but it is all becoming a bit bizarre!  The previous comments were all made "Without prejudice".  (A necessary adage!)

The trip to the library did not take long.  I had promised I would attend at least one 'Story time' with Samantha and Teddy, before he 'graduated' to the older group.  "What are the flowers for?  Is that so you can recognise each other?" Samantha's friend asked.  Samantha had suggested she ask me, as I could explain it better.  I launched into my monologue about Flanders Field and how the poppies grew the year following the mass carnage and, of course, how my grandfather had come home, whilst many thousands did not.  She was quite touched by the tale, and said, "That is a better story than you two being able to find each other!"

I made dinner for six on Wednesday, and presented 'pudding'.  "What is it?" asked one of my guests.  "Bakewell Tart", I replied, modestly.  "What is that in American English".  I bit my tongue before replying, but obviously not hard enough. "There is never, ever, a way to describe English desserts in American!"  Perhaps I should have pre-qualified the remark with "Without Prejudice", but hoped my friend would not take offence.  I tried my best to describe the contents.  "I shall try half a slice", she said.  After a while, she said, "Let me have the other half!"  Who said the English can't cook!

The rest of the week, as they say, is history.  It was warm enough to swim, up until Friday, when the 'cold front' hit!  Dana and I worked all day on Friday, and left the office shortly after six.  Most places were open, as Veterans' Day fell on Saturday, and most places did not take a day off in lieu.  Only the courthouses were closed.  

Samantha collected me on Saturday morning, and we headed out to the shops.  At one of the warehouses, a lady approached us.  We knew her from the store, but she had apparently been moved to a different department.  "I have been on cashier duty every since I was a teenager, which is a long time ago, and now I have moved to...".  We were unsure as to what department she was describing.  "But, I wanted to see you and wish you a happy Thanksgiving, if I don't see y'all next week".  It was very sweet of her, as she saw us enter the store and wanted to make a point of speaking to the English women, with the baby!  It did cause others to look.  It caused big grins from us!

The flags flew at half mast, and our poppies were worn with pride.  We were the only two to wear them of course, but the thanks for service was shown in many ways.  Restaurants all over Austin, and no doubt elsewhere, honoured Veterans with free meals and thanks!  It was as it should be.

Once again, Sunday was colder, and very, very dull..  The sun did not show its face once, and after a fun chat with my sister, I continued with my day.  Next week is the penultimate before Thanksgiving, and no doubt there will be a lot of last minute emergencies.  I do hope I have some time to finish off what I have started at home, but it will all be told in ......... another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment