Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

HOT STUFF!

There is but one thing said each and every day, either before or after the obligatory, "How y'all doin!'" (Please not the exclamation mark at the end of what would, anywhere else, be considered a question, but no reply is required, as it is a statement and not a query"). The word that is used, is "Hawt!".    It is said in various ways, with varying degrees of syllables.  Personally, I opt for the one syllable, "Hot", with the short vowel in the middle, and sometimes, when talking to my daughter, I will leave out the first letter completely, just to accentuate the cockney aspect.  The Southern drawl can turn it into a two, three, and on the very rare occasion, four syllable word.  Although not a veteran, I have lived here for nearly two decades, and can join in with those who, along with using the varying syllable word, nod our heads and say, "Welcome to Texas!".  (I rarely use the suffix, 'y'all', in mixed company!)  

The overnight lows have not been very low, contributing to the hawt mornings.  I continued on as usual.  The 'phase 2' water restrictions came into effect midweek, and whilst many places had been put on 'phase 2' before now, we had managed to last until now.  'Phase 2' is not particularly drastic.  There are provisions such as, 'Restaurants are only to give water to patrons when asked'.  Interestingly enough, when I first came to Texas, water would be brought to your table as soon as you were seated, but that stopped in most places, a long time ago.  There are very few places that we frequent, that automatically bring a glass of water to you without request.  Automatic sprinklers are only to be used on certain days, during certain hours.  That would seem sensible.  Charity car washes are forbidden.  For me, life will go on as usual, as I do not have an automatic sprinkler in my sun room, nor have I ever used a 'charity' car wash. (Perhaps the latter should be reconsidered, providing I believe the charity to be genuine!)  

"Feels like" was another phrase thrown about without abandon!  The 'heat index' does not say how hawt it is, but lets you know how hawt you feel!  Personally, if I am 'glowing', (horses sweat, men perspire, women merely glow - Victorian etiquette,) I know I am beyond cool! I can understand why it may be of relevance, but sometimes we do not need to be told specifics.  There comes a point when hawt is exactly that, hawt!

Perhaps I am belabouring the point, which I am known to do from time to time, but obvious is obvious!

I continued to put up my umbrella when walking down to the post box. Again, obvious is obvious, and all know there is no rain in sight, but everyone looks with a hopeful eye, wondering if I know something that they do not.  "Will it rain before she returns?"  The walk is less than a minute.  However, this is Austin, and anything is possible.  

I can understand the memory of last year's heat has been expunged, as I can barely remember the week as it was!  Somehow, when temperatures exceed the century, it becomes all about how hawt it is, and nothing else matters!  My week progressed as always. I remember being greeted, enthusiastically,, at the post office, but again, the conversation started with the weather.  Being an ex-pat, I am not unfamiliar with the territory.  The world believes (and probably with good reason) that the Brits (and I am sorry if I include all four nations) are obsessed with the meteorological highs and lows! Whenever I speak to Dana when I am out of town, and I resort to the inclement, or clement atmosphere, he generally thinks I have nothing more to report!  

The work week came to an end.  Jerry was the proud owner of not one set of prize tickets, but two, and one of them was at a outdoor venue.  If it didn't bother the artist, why should it bother the crowd.  A born and bred Texan could take the heat!

Why I decided to take my rubbish to the bin on Friday evening, around nine, can only be put down to divine intervention.  It was hawt with the temperatures still hovering around the century, and I was going to leave it until the morning, but as I said, something inside me was screaming, 'now'.  As I opened my back door, I was hit with a rush of stifling air, and I knew there was no turning back. I was not going to take the offensive bag back into my house, and if I had left it outside in my sunroom overnight, I am sure the smell in the morning would have been quite unbearable, not to mention the temptation it may have been to nocturnal creatures.  I ventured beyond my fence and saw one of my neighbours walking her dog.  As I exited beyond the cars, the dog was frightened by someone else and pulled quite sturdily.  Thankfully, my neighbour let go of the lead, but not before losing her balance, and down she went with a thud.  It took a good few minutes for her to regain the ability to stand, after I had gone to get some water, and retrieve the dog, but stand she did, and I walked her back to her unit.  It would appear she was in a state of shock, but not overwhelmingly so, just a little shaky, and she promised me she was okay, and would call if she needed anything. She was compos mentis enough to lock her gate and walk inside.  I had to walk back up the hill, and into my unit.  Dana wondered what had taken me so long!  The climb up the hill takes twice as long with three figures in the temperature!  However, a good deed is a good deed, no matter how hawt.

Not many people ventured out during the day, but I did!  It took me a good hour to read a page of my book, as I dozed, chatted a bit, and felt general lethargy.  It was Saturday afternoon, after all!  I allow myself a little bit of respite!  I did see my neighbour retrieve her newspaper in the morning, so I knew she was mobile.

Next week promises to be the same as this, with a little cooler weather perhaps by the middle of the following week.  There is not much to say other than 'Phew!'  No matter how many syllables it takes to say, the hawt-ness is outstaying its welcome and we are all ready for a new type of atmosphere.  I seem to recall saying the same thing last year, and the year before, and perhaps every year since I have lived here, barring one or two.  This is Texas.  It is haw-wa-wa-wat!  

Perhaps I will have something more to add to the pretty mundane report from this week..  Somehow everything seemed to blur.  I could do better if I set my mind to it, I am sure, but for the moment, all the exciting lively posts will have to wait for ........... another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment