Search This Blog

Sunday, August 20, 2023

BACK TO SCHOOL!

The school bus had been making its rounds.  In fact two school buses have been passing by each morning, on their 'practice' run, before school starts.  Usually, there is a space of a couple of minutes, but the duo have been appearing within a few seconds of each other, and one waits whilst the other performs its 'three point turn', obligatory door opening, and exit from our community.  I am not sure why we have two buses, as I believe there is currently three children living in the community that are of school age.  One possibly takes the bus. The other two, are couriered by their father.  However, the fact of the matter is, school has started!  Despite the heat not subsiding, (and why would it, being mid August,) all the children are back behind desks, be it in an established setting, at home, or anywhere else that provides education.  

Our maintenance man did not look well on Monday.  He assured me he was okay, but I was not convinced.  He promised me that after he did his rounds, he would consider calling it a day.  I mentioned that the pump had not been working in the pool, and perhaps he could let me know what to do, so he did not have to take care of it.  He dismissed me with a wave of his hand, and said he would deal with it.  A phone call as I was on my way to work assured me that all was now well with my pool.  I suggested, again, that he should make an early day of it, and he said that perhaps he would.  

The heat continued to rage, and by the end of the day, I just wanted to sleep.  I reminded myself that after nineteen years I should be used to the extreme, and continued on as if it were a pleasant autumnal day.  Mind over matter!  I met our esteemed chairman of the board by the pool, and we discussed the weekend's events, and other 'community' issues.  Two young women were sitting at the pool.  "Do you know them?" he asked.  I responded that I was not sure, but thought one may be the girlfriend of a resident's son.  "No!" he responded.  "She has clothes on".  The young lady to whom I was referring was the same female (perhaps lady is  term that does not apply) that walks with improper attire, along the road at midnight.  "Should we ask who they are?" he said.  "Yes!" said I.  It was my turn to pick up the gauntlet, and I wandered around the cobbled stones, the long way around, as if checking for anything out of place, and arrived at the table where the two sat.  "Hello! Are you new here?"  One responded that she was.  I looked at her with 'the look', knowing that she was not being honest with me. I turned my head, slowly, and looked at the other.  "My partner lives there", she said, and I knew she was the oft unclad female.  "And you are?" she asked, taking control.  We introduced ourselves, and I was very pleasant, letting her know that we are accustomed to unwanted visitors, and 'trespassers'.  Perhaps I was wrong, but I looked not at the other female, but bid them farewell.  "I missed my chance", I said as I got back to my seat.  "What was that?" asked our chairman. "To say that I didn't recognise her with her clothes on!"  Sigh!

Our maintenance man arrived a little late on Tuesday, and looked like he should not have arrived at all!  It took fifteen minutes for another neighbour and myself to persuade him to go home and 'get better'.  His wife had said he should not come into work, we had told him not to come into work, our esteemed chairman of the board had told him to stay home, and his doctor had recommended rest!  Eventually, he started his truck, turned around and left.  Later in the day, a couple of neighbours asked if I had seen him.  They had spotted him on Monday, doubled over and not looking too good.  They, too, had told him, "Go home!"

Our trip to the radio station on Wednesday, was quite quick.  A young duo, named Briscoe, consisting of two University of Texas 2023 graduates, played a few of their latest songs.  They had been playing together for a few years, but had not thought of it to be an option not to graduate, but immediately upon doing so, cut an album and headed for stardom!  Their sound was very unique, and their voices quite pure.  We ate vegan (am I allowed to say that, or do I have to use the modern vernacular, 'plant based') food and were quite satisfied.  Who knew you could make 'queso' from cashews!  I do now!  The performance was at noon, sharp, and we were all fed and watered beforehand.  

Arriving back, we set about completing the afternoon tasks, and I came home to get dinner prepared.  As my guests left, there was a remark about a smell of smoke.  I walked around the property to see if I could ascertain from where it came, but could see nothing.  My observation, not being an expert, but surmising from previous events, was that if it was as bad smelling, and affecting my eyes, it must be a fire in 'full swing'.  The only news item was that a 'landfill' had caught fire, in North East Austin, but it was quite a few miles from us.

"It was from the landfill in North East Austin", said my neighbour on Thursday morning.  I thought of the fires that had spread throughout Canada, the smoke from which had made its way down into quite a few mid-central states, and how over a decade ago, the smoke from a neighbouring county's fire had engulfed downtown Austin.  It was not beyond the realms of the imagination to know that the smoke we inhaled was from a far off region.

A night out at a very popular restaurant made for a nice mid-week treat.  Joe had invited us to dinner, with two other couples, one being his son and girlfriend, and the other being his business manager with his wife.  It was a very pleasant evening, and as both Joe and his manager knew the owner, we received a great deal of 'complimentary' items, both appetizers and desserts. We arrived home around ten and felt rather naughty, as it was, after all, a school night!  My taste buds had been tempted and I was still diagnosing ingredients!  


The end of the week rolled round, again, and we came home on Friday ready for a weekend.  I was not in the mood to read, but sat for a while after swimming, and just took in the atmosphere.  There appeared to be water gushing out of one of the outlets, and when our esteemed chairman arrived on the scene, I mentioned it to him.  He did not seem overly concerned, other than the 'pool guy' had left the area in a state of disrepair, for the second week running.

I was rather concerned that there was going to be a lot of water running out of the waste pipe this weekend, and was rather interested as to why no one else seemed worried.  However, when I mentioned my theory as to why this was happening, our esteemed chairman pointed out that the water was merely being recycled and pumped back in.  He, too, had thought about it overnight, but knew that there was no loss.  I felt much better!

Another weekend came to a close, and we are promised the possibility (not certain) of rain on Tuesday.  Whether it will relieve the heat, we know not, but rain is rain!  The pool has been 'fixed', and our maintenance man is on the mend.  Our esteemed chairman called and asked him to walk him through what to do to fix the problem.  He said it had taken him all weekend, as male ego took over!  I responded, "Are you telling me you actually stopped to ask for directions?"  

I shall no doubt see the school buses come on their rounds in the morning, and wonder, again, who they are picking up.  I might find out, I might not.  It matters not a wit!  I am ready for a bit of respite from the heat, but that too will remain to be seen.  No doubt, all will remain a mystery until .... another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment