Search This Blog

Sunday, August 6, 2023

A LITTLE MORE SUMMERTIME!

A more relaxing afternoon, I do not think I could have wished for.  I knew that I had a lot of work waiting for me on Monday morning.  It still amuses me that I am one of the 'oldest' in tenure, (rather than age, although I am probably in the higher bracket,) in our little community, and I watch the younger generation, wondering where my life has gone!  I do not commiserate, but contemplate.  It is less stressful.  

Both Grant and Samantha received an email on Tuesday, inviting them to the radio station on Wednesday. Grant sent one back confirming that he and his guest would be there, and the response was a rather enthusiastic, "Yay!  Can't wait to see y'all".  Of course, the word, (as it is one,) 'y'all' could mean one to infinity, but we assumed the sender was referring to all four of us, the forth one being an infant! Grant came running up to my office.  "I know him!  Well I know who he is.  I'm excited!"  We often do not know the people performing, but a few months later, they are on the radio constantly, and we can say, "We saw them",  Michael Franti has been around for sometime, even though we knew not the name, his music was familiar. The time was not great.  It was going to start at three in the afternoon.  We had been asked to confirm that we would be available from three to five.  I had decided on a simple dinner for Wednesday, for two reasons.  One was that I would be later home than usual, and secondly because at the radio station pizza was involved! 

Grandparenthood is amazing.  My son-in-law was called to a meeting in El Paso, and would be out of town for a few days.  My daughter had opted to go to the 'mum's only night out' with her 'group' of new mothers, and asked if I could babysit.  I was happy to do so, but knew she would be home late, or at least past the little one's bed time.  There was no reason why we should not keep him here overnight, other than we have not done it before!  She dropped him off at six thirty, and I took him for a swim.  It was probably one of the most significant nights of my life.  Perhaps it sounds a little strange to think of it that way, but being brought up in England, where pools are not such a common feature in homes, and the weather certainly does not lend itself to evening dips for most of the year, unless indoors or heated, or indeed in a heated environment, taking a grandchild swimming before bed would not be an option.  That coupled with the pace of life being so much quicker, (something I have experienced since living out here,) I know I would feel it to be a rushed activity.  However, I digress.  We had a 'splash about' in the pool, then returned home, where he had a quick shower, bottle and then bed, after a brief cuddle.  He was asleep in no time, and I prepared dinner.  I marveled at the simplicity.  In fact I marveled at my own ease!  It didn't matter that dinner was a few minutes late.  It didn't matter that I had created a little more washing. What mattered was the quality time that I never seemed to have as a mum of two young kids. 

Samantha arrived quite early in the morning, and the baby slept on.  We left for the office, and worked up until around a quarter to three.  Arriving at the radio station, Rosa waved enthusiastically and the security guard opened the door, smiling broadly.  "Hey, good to see you again!"  All turned our way.  We were almost the last to arrive and there was a packed foyer.  Both Rosa and the DJ looked at Teddy and said, "How?  When?"  He was the star!  It made me smile!  Once in the studio, Samantha soothed the baby with his bottle, and motioned to one of the DJ's as to whether she should take him outside.  "Why?" came the answer.  Then we heard one of the audience tell the DJ that he was very well behaved. "Last time he came he was in his little car seat.  I can't believe he has grown so much....".  Again, the familiarity made me grin.  We are here!  Now so is Teddy!

The broadcast was over, but the artists wanted to have some time with the audience, and a question and answer session ensued.  I was conscious of the time, but enjoyed the extra interaction.  We did not arrive home until five thirty, at which time I put the dinner in the oven and went swimming.  I did wonder whether I should have just stayed in my house, but was glad I took the opportunity to dislodge some of the pizza!

There has to be a question as to why people decide to have major
construction work done, involving the removal of any division between inside and out, when the meteorologists forecast heat of post century figures.  However, it may have been scheduled for earlier in the year, or perhaps the price goes up as the temperature goes down!  Whatever the reason, work was due to start in our building and we all had an email to say how much nicer the windows would look once it was completed.  

By the time midday had arrived, I cared not how the windows would look, I just wanted them to be put in and for the drilling to stop.  With two floors being completed, directly under, and then next to my office, I felt like I was in the middle of a building site!  I was in the middle of a building site!  My chair bounced with me in it.  As I returned from taking the mail to the box, a fine layer of dust was settling in the hallway, with a fog still hanging in the air. Feeling like I had been on a long haul flight with continuous turbulence, I wanted to get out of the plane!  

When the drilling started up again, the following morning, I just wanted to go home.  It was not until everyone came out to see what I was talking about did they understand quite what I was dealing with. Thankfully, it did not last long, but the heat was quite devastating!  The windows did look lovely, but I couldn't help but think it could have been completed either over the weekend or perhaps at Christmas! It was probably unfair of me to suggest that the crew work when others were enjoying a couple of days respite, but I would have given them time off in lieu!  I would have given them a month off in lieu!

Our delightful neighbour and friend who passed away in June, affectionately known as the grandmother of our community, was to be remembered in a memorial service on Saturday.  My friend and neighbour, Cathleen had suggested we go together, and then perhaps brunch after the occasion.  Together with the chairman of our board, and another board member, we entered the well attended gathering, and exchanged pleasantries with the family and friends.  They thanked us all for our part in taking care of her in her final months of living here.  She welcomed each and everyone of us to the neighbourhood when we moved in, and it seemed only right to 'wave goodbye'.  As mentioned in my opening paragraph, we were now the matriarchs and patriarchs of the units.  Brunch was lovely and a totally different Saturday experience, which was enjoyed immensely.  

I ventured down to the pool and was alone for most of the time.  It was too hot for the locals, and they do not think to sit in the shade, bring umbrellas or cover up as do the likes of this ex-pat!  I read for a while and then plopped into the water.  Dana joined me and then the couple who live in the block next to ours came down, in their SUV, as they array of floaties is too cumbersome for them to carry.  Oh, the ease of the younger generation!  Dana voiced, quite loudly, "Which unit is having a party".  He could hear music and a beat that was not altogether loud, but loud enough for us to hear.  I pointed to the other side of the pool.  "Our neighbours", I mouthed.  The sound was surround, and presumably the vibration from the speaker of the phone made it sound like it was coming from somewhere else.  It was all quite amusing.  By around four, there were about ten of us cluttering the area.  The last two to arrive were recognised by me as they entered, by their floatie.  Some are recognised by faces, some by pets, but I recognise floaties!  Strange!  They moved two chairs on to the grass.  "Do you think they will put them back?" asked one of the ladies who was in our group.  

We had a lovely relaxing dinner, which completed the day perfectly, and I was thankful for air conditioning!  When it is still 100 degrees at seven, it stays hot all night!

As I went for a swim Sunday morning, I smiled broadly.  All the furniture had been replaced.  The training is obviously going very well!  

A very different week, indeed, and one that altered routine and general 'run of the mill', and I actually enjoyed the change! Obviously, if I changed up my routine every week, 'changing it up' would become the new routine!   A change is as good as a rest, so they say, for me, for life, for ........... another story!


1 comment: