Search This Blog

Sunday, July 1, 2018

THE WORLD AT THEIR FEET



Never has the divide been so wide!  "We are not interested in the football", became, "We are hosting in 2026, and we want....".  For those that are really not interested in the football, I apologise, but it has been a blast!  I would also announce there are spoiler alerts!

The Royal Wedding has been put aside.  Football has (to some begrudgingly) taken a hold.  It has been quite interesting to be the authority on a subject, in a foreign land.  I am also very much in the minority.  "Who would you like see win the whole thing", I am asked.  "Are you serious?" say I.  "We want Germany?" they reply.  "Are you serious?" say I.  "I didn't know Britain had a team", say they. "Britain doesn't.  England does", say I.  "What happens if....", "What will they do if....?" are questions posed.  "How can the team with four points in this group not go through, and the team with four points in this group go top?"  It takes a long time to explain something, which to me is just a simple question of mathematics, but if you have not been brought up with the dynamics, it is not as easy to grasp.  I cannot always see the science in how the 'ranking' of the American football teams actually works.  Especially in the college games.  However, I am patient.

Monday morning did not start exactly the way I would have liked.  I walked into the office and could smell something unpleasant.  I was quite sure I had not left any food uncovered, or unrefrigerated over the weekend, but the noxious aroma appeared to be coming from our kitchen area.  As I walked into the back room, the smell became more pungent, but there was no obvious culprit.  "Oh yuk", came the cry from my daughter.  "It's wet!"  The carpet was saturated, and it was then that I realised that I could hear a gentle, continuous tapping.  Water was dripping from the ceiling, and one of the tiles was so bowed, it looked as if it would burst at any time.  Once again, the air conditioning duct had 'backed up', and the stoppage point is over our 'spare room'.  Samantha and I set about clearing away the cardboard boxes full of old papers, and the one containing my 'walking' clothes, which smelled like they could walk themselves to the washing machine!  It took about half an hour to clear everything away, and find new homes for our 'archives'.  Dana called our management agency, and they promised to have someone come and inspect shortly.  

"It is the air conditioning.  It has backed up, and it comes to a stop just above here", said the maintenance man.  "Hmm", was all I could say.  It has happened before, but usually after a holiday weekend, when no one has been in, and the air conditioning has had an extra day off!  However, he promised someone would come and fix it, and he would also get a 'clean up crew' in to 'clean up'.  As my morning had been 'messed with', I came home to swim early.  I was very busy, and Dana had indicated that the afternoon was going to run at a faster pace than the morning. I pointed out that his afternoon may run at a faster pace, as my morning had been quite fast enough!


The 'evening' football game was to be played at 7pm in England, and therefore, it would start at 1pm in our neck of the woods.  My computer has taken a distinct dislike to my national game, and turns itself off at crucial moments, losing all my work, and causing me to reboot at intervals.  I am unsure as to why it only powers down when I watch the games, but perhaps the excitement proves too much.  As I am watching the match progress, and the tension grows, it all becomes too much for my computer, and it closes its eyes and goes to sleep.  

Our on-site maintenance man, Raul, was sitting in his shed, shielding himself from the heat.  "I am waiting for the next round", he said, as we discussed the weekend games, and predictions.  "If they draw, and they win, and this one gets at least three....", I said, as we got into statistics and particulars.  "Thank you", he said, as I wished him a good afternoon.  "You are the only one who talks about the World Cup with me!"  I thanked him for allowing me to do so.  

I returned to work, and as Dana had predicted, we were inundated.  As I had predicted, as the match got to a crucial moment, my computer took an overdose of 'technical Valium', and turned itself off!

The air conditioning repairmen arrived shortly after one.  I use the word 'men' in the loosest of terms, as they appeared to be little more than teenagers, and dressed accordingly.  The one who was 'in charge', smiled as he walked through carrying a ladder.  His 'second' lunged through the door, his cap on backwards, and failed to regain his balance, knocking into the ladder, and almost causing a second catastrophe!  It was like watching a younger version of Laurel and Hardy, although both were built like the latter, and neither had the demure look of the former.  "Where's Frank at?" asked the one who had not yet learned the art of upright walking.  I refrained!  Oh how I would love to teach grammar!  They walked into the back after shouting a "Hey Frank" to the dog, who was curled up on his bed atop Dana's desk.  Within a few seconds, the game started to get interesting, and I was willing my computer to stay awake.  The two lads remembered the previous 'leaking' event, and headed out to next door's office as they would have to access the vents from there.  "We are going next door.  We have to get to the vents from there", said number one.  "Yes.  I remember now, but thank YOU FOR ....ahhhh...coming in so quickly", I responded, as the ball came so close to the goal line, but was hit away by a sharp thinking defender.  They smiled.  "Soccer?" they asked.  "No.  Football!", I responded with a grin!

The 'clean up crew' consisted of one man, with a large vacuum cleaner.  He tried to explain what he was going to do, but his English not only lacked grammar, it lacked English.  I gathered from hand signals, and various noises, that his rather enormous hoover would not only clean up the debris, but suck up the water.  He smiled at Dana, and started his work.  It did not take long, and he left after trying to explain something that even hand signals failed to transmit.  I gathered from his pointing to the machine, and his sharp intake of breath, that he had sucked up the water, and cleaned the floor.  I thanked him, although not as emphatically as I had the two young lads.

We left the office and headed for Sprouts to get some groceries.  They had a 'special' on chicken and I was running low.  We went into the deli next door to have some dinner before our 'sale' shopping.  A young girl was sporting a Mexico shirt, and a game was on the television.  "It's baseball", said Dana, showing a degree of excitement.  We ate, we shopped and we came home.

I was hoping for a quieter day on Tuesday, just so that I could get caught up, but the distractions were too great.  I knew that my computer had decided to inject itself, when the sound from my earphones ceased.  I had not been watching the morning game, as my eyes were needed on another screen, but I had audio capability.  The outcome of who would win the groups was really academic, although there had been so many upsets, nothing was final until the final whistle blew.  I did not have a 'dog in the hunt' in any of the games, although my natural opposition of some was obvious by my cheers and groans.  Raul was waiting for a lunchtime chat, and was one step closer to forming a decision on whom to support!  "My daughter played, but my sons did not.  When we used to go to the park, we would see the Mexican kids playing, but my boys were not interested". I smiled.  "Sweaters for goalposts?" I asked.  "Yes!" he responded and laughed heartily.  "You understand", he said, in a most grateful way.

Dinner was cooking in the oven when we returned home.  I had bought a variety of things that I thought might tempt the dog, who is still not eating as much as he should.  Human food is not ideal, but the vet had said that anything is better than nothing, just to get him back on track.  I had bought a lot of different varieties of minced meat, including chicken, beef, turkey and brisket!  He didn't like the brisket, so Dana was going to have them in the style of meatballs!  He did not object.  In fact, I think we now have a new ingredient for one of his old favourites!

I went to Joe on Wednesday morning.  I had played with another banana bread recipe and was wanting some feed back.  The traffic was quite light, as schools have, in the main, finished for the summer.  We did not discuss football at all.  The two members of his staff that are remotely interested, were in Peru, and I did not feel the need to inflict my passion upon those whom have no interest!  

An early swim was once again on the cards.  "Argentina are through", said Raul, a little disappointed.  "They are not playing well", he said.  I was quite surprised that he would not want a South or Central American team to qualify, but he seemed to have more fondness for the European teams.  "Germany are playing today", he said, showing a little more enthusiasm.  "Puh!" I said, in jest.  "Arch rivals I am afraid.  I don't suppose they will lose, but I can only hope!" I said, as I bid him a good afternoon.  

Germany had to pack their bags and go home on Wednesday evening.  It was a very good match, even though part of it was watched on Samantha's phone, as my computer refused to give me the good news!  My thoughts immediately went to my old neighbour, whom four years previously, had returned to the pool rather the worse for wear, and did not remember any of his actions the following day.  My week could end now.  England were through despite the game to be played the following day.  Dana could not understand the euphoria.  After all, it is only a game.  Try as I might, without having the background, it is impossible to grasp!  No, I have nothing against the Germans as a nation.  I have nothing against the players of their football team personally.  It is just a 
'grudge match', and a bit of fun.  He shrugged.  

Dana had been playing 'tag' with a city employee all week.  After we had our new air conditioning unit fixed, an inspection was required to assess its level of efficiency and our entitlement to a rebate.  The inspector had called Dana to make a 'mutually convenient time', and then told him when he would be there.  When asking if he could call when he was ten minutes away, he had point blank refused.  Follow up calls were made by administrative staff, as they did not know the circumstances, and he eventually called back again, to set up another 'mutually convenient time', and again refused to 'play ball'!  However, the lack of co-operation was noted by a 'referee' and a call was received!  I came home around 11am on Thursday.  

After being told that the 'nest' was not in a suitable place, and my original smoke detectors were probably useless, but the system was okay, he left.  As I had no bedrooms downstairs, the placing of the 'nest' was not really a problem, but I should be aware!  Two minutes of my time had been taken.  I went for a swim.  "So, Germany are out.  Argentina are in, and England are playing today". Raul had the schedule committed to memory.  A game plan was hatched.  As the morning matches had been played, and the England match was merely to decide who came out on top, all the qualifiers for the 'knockout' rounds had been decided, and he was ready to make a prediction.  "Uruguay versus Brazil, in the final.  Although I would love to see England there", I said.  He scrunched his nose.  "You think?  I think Portugal may win.  And Spain"  Of course the football is different.  They play a different game!"  Oh the joy!  "Thank you", I said.  "No one seems to get that.  Although the players of the national teams do not necessarily play for league teams in their own country, there is a difference in the way they play.  No one gets it!"  We laughed.  A firm appreciation for each other's opinions had been formed!

I went back to work, watched England play for three quarters of the game, tutted as my screen went blank, and watched the rest on Samantha's phone.  Half way through the second half, the daily solicitor called. "Hello ma'am.  What home improvement would you like to have?"  I did not have time for the scam.  "Sorry.  No time to chat.  I am watching the football.  Have a nice day.  Bye".  The receiver was replaced!  


"So England lost.  But I think it is better for them", said Raul, at lunchtime on Friday.  We gave the game the official 'autopsy', and he was ready for the weekend, when Portugal were going to prove either him or me correct.  

Image may contain: dessert and foodSaturday morning was not usual.  Samantha's god-daughter was six years old, and we were off to her party!  As a good godmother, she had made a cake to the little one's specific specifications.  I am not sure that at six I would have an idea.  "Three layers of chocolate cake.  Cream cheese frosting (alien to me at six) and sprinkles.  My name in M&M's and strawberries around the bottom."  The cake was just that.  We drove to Liberty Hill, and watched France send Argentina back on a long haul flight!  It was a hard match.  The game itself was quite good, but choosing a team was much harder!  "Can't they just both go out with a draw?" said Samantha.  That's my girl!  

The party was a great success, as was the cake.  Portugal were playing Uruguay on the television screen set up on the deck.  "What's your EPL", asked one of the male guests.  "My what?" I said, oblivious to the initials.  "Your EPL.  Don't you have one?"  I could only think he was talking about a medical condition, but braved the question, "What is an EPL?"  He looked at me with amazement. "Your English Premier League team.  Don't you have one?"  The young man was wanting Portugal to win, and was not happy at the prospect of yet another South American team getting through.  "Oh.  I see.  Well yes.  Tottenham Hotspur", I replied.  "But I have never heard it called that before.  It is called the premier league now, but when in England, we do not use the prefix.  Also, when I was growing up, it was Division one, two, three and four.  None of this fancy stuff!"  He acknowledged my disappointment!  Once again, I had found a fellow fan.  "You mean soccer", he said, when we were discussing the game further.  "Nope.  Football".  He looked at me seriously.  "But over here we call it soccer", he said, emphatically.  "But you are in an overwhelming minority calling it soccer", said I, "And as you are not playing in the tournament....need I say more".  My eyes said it all, and he laughed, fortunately, rather heartily.  

The trip home was broken with a trip to Costco in Cedar Park, where they had my bread flour in abundance.  As we turned into my complex, Dana sent me a text to tell me the final score.  Portugal were busing it home!   Poor Raul!  

My afternoon was very pleasant.  I sat by the pool but could not doze as my neighbour's were entertaining their family, and it as rather crowded.  It was not the noise that prevented me from having a snooze, but the possibility of snoring or drooling, or even sleep talking!  I cannot doze when people are around!  

We went out to eat later that evening, and whilst eating, I heard an English accent.  Surprisingly enough, I did not mention the football at all.  A young man was on a working 'exchange' trip,  He would be here for a year.  His parents had come to visit, and he was showing them Austin.  They had already decided that they would return 'several times' while he was here!  We chatted for some time and they seemed quite pleased that I had stopped by the table. This was the icing on the the cake.  My day was complete!

The dog came for a sleepover on Saturday as the kids had a party and did not want to leave him for too long.  He enjoyed my leftovers, and was happy to snuggle up and go to sleep on my bed!  I allowed Dana to take charge of the 2am walk (as the dog has decided that this is the norm when staying at my house).  

Watching Spain lose on penalties was surprising, but this competition has been full of surprises.  Croatia and Denmark also caused a stir in my predictions, but I am still on target.  

The competition continues, and I shall continue to enjoy!  I shall try not to bore too many people, and hope that Raul and I can continue with our chats, despite him having to choose a new team to support.  I shall try to remember to take my laptop into work, to watch the games, so that my work computer does not feel the need to self medicate when it all gets too much!  All in all, I shall still, hopefully, be around next week, to write ............ another story!





No comments:

Post a Comment