Search This Blog

Sunday, July 8, 2018

ONE DAY AT A TIME!


I promised myself that I would not monopolise my post with 'the' football this week.  Dana does not understand why we, namely the two Brits he knows well, add the 'definite article' before using the word 'football'.  However, I must add a disclaimer before starting this week's saga.  For those who looked at my predictions last week, and shook their head in dismay at the obvious error, I can only say that I am human and misread the small print.  My prediction for the world cup final was thwarted on two levels.  Firstly that Uruguay could no way have met Brazil in the finals because the last match they could possibly have met would have been the semi finals. (My chart is very small print and a bit blurry, and I did not see the 'cross over'.)   The other reason, of course, goes to the word 'would', as both teams were knocked out!  The week was going to be rather interesting, not only because of 'the'  football, but because we were going to have a day off in the middle of the week for my birthday.  Yes, it was my birthday.  I wont say there was no fireworks and it was just another day, because of course, it wasn't.  However, it wasn't the usual run of the mill birthday, either.  

My weekend did not end as planned.  After the busy day on Saturday, I thought I would just sit and read on Sunday afternoon.  A few neighbors were at the pool, Another couple, Jen and Adam, came down, and we all chatted for a while, and then there were three of us, and we all set about the task for which we had all come poolside.  Reading.  I had fifty pages left, and it was getting so exciting, I knew I could whiz through them in a short period of time.  I so wanted to watch the film.  It was a Tom Clancy book, Op-Center.  "Did you read any of the Jack Ryan Books?" asked Adam.  "Is that the one played by Tom Cruise?" I asked.  "No, Tom Clancy", said Jen.  I realised that we were at cross purposes.   "No, that's Jack Reacher?", said Adam. "Oh yes, the most miscast character", I said (sorry Mr Cruise).  "Yes, I agree", said Adam.  "Is Jack Reacher, Tom Clancy?" said Jen.  "No, Jack Ryan?" said Adam and I in unison.  "So who is Tom Cruise?" asked Jen.  "Jack Reacher", said Adam and I in unison.  "He writes Jack Reacher/?", said Jen.  "No!" said Adam and I in unison.    With a variety of Toms and Jacks, I let the explanations be made by Adam, and eventually, we were all on the same page; pardon the pun!  "How do you like the book so far?" asked Adam, as Jen let out a blood curdling scream.  I knew Jen was going to have to undergo surgery at the end of the summer for her shoulder, but I was unaware as to the reason.  It appeared that her shoulder was prone to dislocating at any given moment, and it had just happened again!  Like a headless chicken, I clucked, but did not run up and down, as I was frozen to my seat.  "What can I do?  Can I do something?" I asked, as they calmly walked to the edge of the pool.  "What can I do?" I asked again, like there was anything I could do.  It was apparent that they would have to go to the hospital, so I gathered up their things, and ran them to their condo.  They were still rather relaxed and calm when I returned, and I was still doing the headless chicken impersonation!  Adam asked if I could sit with his wife, while he got the car.  I agreed.  I chatted non-stop, to keep my wits about me, as I am not very good in such situations, and need to keep myself calm, rather than the patient.  I cracked a couple of very old and bad jokes, and eventually we heard the tale tell sound of the engine of Adam's car, and he came to collect his wife.  They apologised profusely for spoiling my afternoon, but I was only too glad that someone, if only a decapitated fowl impersonator, was there to help.  

I wandered up to my home, and told Dana what had happened.  I had felt quite helpless.  However, he received a call a couple of hours later from Jen, to tell him how calming I was!  She had no idea that the constant chatter was to calm me and not her, but she did not care, as it was apparently very soothing!  Who knew a squawking bird could do the trick!  Her shoulder had maneuvered itself back into place before the x-ray at the hospital, as it is prone to do on occasion, but all was now well, and her appreciation was much appreciated.  I felt a lot better, as I am sure did she!

Monday was busy.  I thought it may be the storm that was going to calm before the midweek holiday.  My computer died half way through the match where Brazil knocked out their Latino counterpart, Mexico.  I thought of  another of my neighbours, who had hoped to get her t-shirt before the game, but was confident that she would wear the Mexico flag through to the final!  After my lunchtime swim, I took my 'surface' to the office, so that I would be able to work uninterrupted, and have the full use of my computer as well as watch the afternoon 'knockout'. The game between Japan and Belgium was an absolute delight to watch.  The strategy of Japan made me think of long gone years, when I would say to my father, "Why would they kick it to an empty space", and he would reply, "Because someone should have been there!"  I was somewhat ambivalent about the result, but looked forward to the following day when I hoped the game would be as clean!

As Wednesday was a holiday, I went to have my nails decorated on Tuesday, without first going to Joe.  I had gone into work early, to clear some of the backlog that had been piling up, as Joe did not respond to my text.  Finally, he sent me a message asking if it was too late for me to travel across town.  I told him it was and that I had decided to go to work early instead.  "Are you feeling well?" was the response!  

Image may contain: one or more people and close-upAfter having stars and stripes painted upon my upper digit coverings, in a slightly more abstract design than traditional, I left the nail salon for the last time.  (I must add, a design Samantha had found from a third party source,) Upon hearing that my technician is moving back 'downtown', euphoria was an understatement!  I was delighted that I would not have to travel along the 'ever being improved' roads was simply the best news I could have had at the time!  Roadworks had been a constant since she moved in! Samantha was sending me messages throughout the manicure, to let me know the fate of Switzerland.  

Raul was ready for my afternoon prediction.  When we had digested all the possibilities of what was now one of the most unpredictable scenarios, I wished him a 'happy 4th'.  He asked if I celebrated the day, as I was English and of course it was, in fact, (although I always say to Dana, we knew what we were giving up, and did so gladly!) a loss for my nation.  I explained that the fourth will forever remain a celebratory day for me, and when he found it was my birthday, he rose from his seat and gave me a hug.  

The game was rather more exciting than I had hoped.  The guys in the next door office were all cheering for the opposition!  As the ninety minutes came to an end, and extra time was called, I exclaimed that I could not take the added emotion!  We watched and groaned, as next door cheered, and cheered as next door groaned.  As the penalty shootout started, the silence was deafening, and between each kick, once again, the cheers and groans alternated.  After the end of the match, when the loudest cheer came from our side of the wall, I knocked on the door of our neighbours.  We gave the game its traditional autopsy, and I was given a 'high five' by one of the guys.  It was rather amusing to have someone in the building not only following the competition, but being an opponent.  Again, it took me back many years as my father and one of his brothers supported two different London teams, where the rivalry was a way of life!

The work did not slow down, as predicted, but I decided to put everything on hold, that could be put on hold, and left the office around 5:30pm, and went swimming.  Dana joined me around six, and we sat for a while, contemplating the peace, before going home and making dinner.

Following family tradition, I bid farewell to my outgoing age, and on Wednesday morning, I said 'hello' to my new year.  It is something my father did with us as kids, and it has stuck!  "Don't forget to say goodbye to six tonight, and hello to seven in the morning", he told me, all those years ago.  I did the same with my children, and strangely enough, I feel unable to break the habit!  Dana and I went to Mozart's Coffee Lounge, and waiting for us was a dog bearing balloons, and a daughter with cards and a bag containing gifts.  Two microwave covers were gratefully received, as Dana had managed to 'melt' mine, and I was unable to find replacements.  My daughter knew I would be excited by such a practical gift, and I was!  

The pool was deserted, and I swam for about twenty minutes.  It was a beautiful morning, but suddenly the clouds rolled in and a clap of thunder sent us running up the steps, and along the road, just in time to escape the torrential rain that had started to pour.  Pour it did all afternoon, and evening.  Although the fireworks were not 'rained off', I decided that I could miss the (anticlimactic) event this year, as the bugs would probably outnumber the people by thousands!  Dinner at Abuellos was delightful, and a birthday dessert was produced but without the singing of the traditional song.  I had a great video call with my grandsons and Steph, and Richard called me on his way home.  I had arranged for his 'birthday delivery' of cakes and stuff for today, as he had to take Ollie to the hospital for a check up on Thursday and would not be at work for his big day!

All in all, the uneventful day was extremely welcomed and enjoyed.  A day off in the middle of the week is always something to celebrate!

Thursday morning was busy.  Despite thoughts to the contrary, that people may make a long weekend of it, our phones rang and our emails exploded with projects and requests.  Obviously my unselfish act of wanting everyone else to take a holiday (that is my excuse and I am sticking to it!) was not taken to heart, and the midweek one day holiday was just a midweek one day holiday!  

No automatic alt text available.Before I went for my morning swim, the birthday celebrations were once again reignited, with Samantha presenting me with a cake, and the office staff singing a resounding version of the old favourite!  My cake was perfect.  A white t-shirt with three lions heads popping up across the top.  I loved it.  No one else understood.  We laughed.  My mother's card arrived in my mailbox and that made me laugh too.  Two women, from a bygone era, standing by the phone, with the caption, "That was the school. Nothing important.  Just one of the other mothers called to say her child was better than yours".  I do like my mother's humour!

A four day week with a break in the middle is quite refreshing, and Friday rolled around quickly!  The last of my 'at least fifty percent' predictions were eliminated as France and Belgium strolled their way home to defeat Uruguay and Brazil.  I now had a favourite in one of the semi-final matches, and I care not that they beat England in the group stages!!

Saturday morning started reasonably early.  Dana and I enjoyed a cup of coffee and he went off to work, after turning on the television.  As I had an agenda, I did not wish to be distracted, so I turned down the sound.  However, I missed the first goal and had to back up to see the replay.  Chores would have to wait until half time!  As the second half commenced, I heard the commentary, and realised Samantha had arrived, phone in hand.  Her broadcast was about thirty seconds behind the television, but due to my inability to negotiate my way around the several remote control units we have, we sat and watched in silence.  When I say, 'in silence', I mean with a lack of commentary. (albeit the thirty second delay commentary was still in force.) "Penalty!" she shouted.  "In the middle of the field?" I countered.  "Why not!" she said.  "Clean game, please!" I countered.  The clock ticked its way to ninety minutes.  "Two minutes.  Three tops", I said.  "One" she hoped.  "Five.  How?" we said in unison!  It is amazing how time flies when you are having fun, and how it seems to drag at others.  We sat, running on the spot as Sweden had possession of the ball, in the England penalty box, and jumped for joy as the ball was kicked away.  Eventually, the final whistle blew and we shrieked.  "Footballs coming home!" we sang, over and over.  

Our trip to Costco was loud.  Singing at the top of our voices, we joined in the chorus, "Three lions on a shirt", and swayed and punched the air.  Amazingly enough, my main reason for wanting the cup to go to the England squad is because of their manager. Gareth Southgate missed a penalty in the world cup in 1996.  This caused England to lose the match.  How befitting it would be if he could manage the team to a victory!  Of course, I would also be happy for the rest of the squad and the country too!  However, I digress.  We walked into the warehouse, and noticed that none of the televisions on display were showing highlights of the game.  It was a travesty!  Samantha spotted one at the back of the area.  We walked over, just in time to see a replay of the second goal.  Turning slightly, I notice a member of staff who used to work in the photograph department, and who knew Samantha by name, as she was by far her best customer some time ago!  She is also married to an Englishman, and he had encountered similar problems to Samantha when going through residency.  She waved to us, and we walked over to her new department.  "It's coming home", she shouted to us as we neared.  "Three lions on a shirt", we said back to her.  Her colleague just laughed.  "Want to see a picture of my baby?" she said as she proudly lifted a photo of her little girl from the wall.  "She is wearing an England strip today.  I told my husband, put a bow in her hair, at least!  He wont quit with the 'Football's coming home' jokes," she said.  "It's no joke!" said I, and we all laughed, leaving her colleague bemused, rather than amused!  

The rest of the day was rather a blur.  Samantha dropped me home, and I went for a swim.  No one ventured down to the pool, and I was updated with scores from the other quarter final match.   The rain held off and I was able to enjoy an afternoon reading.  

Once again, I am reminded of how blessed I am, and no matter how hard I (think I) work, there is always an opportunity to  relax and enjoy what I call a 'holiday atmosphere'.  A pool and a book!  

Another year of my life has gone by, and I barely noticed.  I do not feel any older, and according to my daughter, I certainly do not act my age, but I have no idea how I should act at 'my age', other than be polite and relatively grown up!  Of course, forty plus years ago, when I started work on 5th July, the day after my birthday, I would never have dreamed that I would have been spending my fifty plus birthdays in the United States of America, despite always knowing the citizens celebrated each year with me!  Life deals me a new hand each week, and next week will be ............ another story!


No comments:

Post a Comment