Search This Blog

Sunday, June 24, 2018

DECK OF CARDS!

The tire light came on as we left the office of Friday.  It was a little bit of a blow, considering that  our 'new to us' car, which we hae had for two months now, has just had the 'once over' following a faux pas by the dealership.  They had assumed that the inspection had been completed, but apparently, when they sent of for the 'plates', they realised that they had let us drive it off the lot without the required certification.  They called Dana is a panic, and requested that he bring it in immediately, but he explained that the earliest he could take care of it would be on Saturday.  They called again, and again.  When Saturday arrived, they not only did the inspection but valeted the car, and offered to fill the tank.  Dana left the dealership with everything in order, and is now waiting for the call to collect the registration plates.  However, somewhere between then and now, something had happened to make us lose tyre pressure.  

It was a very turbulent week.  The 'maid of the mist' poncho was out of hibernation, as the rain continued to pour on Monday.  The temperature had dropped considerably, and I did not feel like subjecting myself to swimming if the pool was going to be on the chilly side.  Perhaps at the beginning of the season, I would have found it pleasant, but as the months progress, my tolerance becomes less.  


My lack of tolerance did not stop at the coolness of the water.  I was plagued, and I do not use the word lightly, with a variety of phone calls from solicitors, and again, the word 'solicitors' does not apply to the English version of 'Attorney'.  Calls came flooding in, and as I am the 'first responder' when it comes to the phones in the office, my patience started to wear a little thin.  


Our lunchtime walk took us to the supermarket, and the dog came too.  His lack of appetite prompted another appointment at the vet, and this was due to happen on Tuesday morning.   I was on a mission.  I had to buy bagels.  Breakfast in the office, for Samantha and Dana is bagels.  Samantha insists on cinnamon raisin, and Dana has either plain or blueberry.  Much as this seems to be trivial, to the two above mentioned people, there is nothing unimportant about it.  It is almost a ritual.  Bagels or bust!  Of course, neither toast the bagels.  That is down to me.  Dana would go without as he is too busy, and Samantha puts on the schmooze by telling me that "No one makes them like you".  As I am making coffee, and there is not much room in our little makeshift kitchen area at the office, it makes sense.  Or at least that is what I am told!


Our walk was brisk, as we had to be back in time for the world cup game between England and Tunisia.  I knew that I would be listening rather than watching, but we had not managed to find an audio version that could be accessed without the promise of signing up for several inane websites, none of which would hold any interest and all of which appeared to ask the most intrusive questions.  Samantha had access to a visual option, due to Edward's employment perks, but he was not answering his phone.  "Perhaps he is in a meeting", I said, wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt.  "He can answer a text", she said, getting a little more frustrated as the whistle to start play was about to blow.  "Would you like me to call?" I said, wondering why he should take my call and not hers.  She said it couldn't hurt.  I didn't call, but I did send him a text.  "Edward. Call your wife.  She needs to watch the football!"  I did not get a reply.  However, within seconds, she got a phone call, and we were both set up to watch our team.   



After three successive solicitation phone calls, I was rather peeved.  My computer kept 'freezing', and I was watching the match at least a minute behind the rest of the world!  Samantha was very sympathetic (tomorrow's breakfast possibly being on the line here) and did not make a sound when England scored their final goal, a few minutes before the end of the match.  I continued to work, and watch, as best I could.  "Yes!" I screamed as our lad Harry, kicked the ball into the back of the oppositions net.  With only four minutes to go, I could not stand the suspension anymore and went into Samantha's room, where the match was 'live'.  Dana was already there!  It seemed very sad that we all had to go back to work, after celebrating for less than a minute, but back to work we went!

I played hookey just once more Monday afternoon, when I spoke to one of my old friends, Anita, who is coming Stateside later in the year, and was asking for some advice.  I don't know that I was able to help much, but we had a nice chat!  


I do not really object to making breakfast in the mornings, as both my husband and my daughter have been known to return the favour and take care of me, and this was the case on Tuesday morning, when I was presented with a cup of coffee from Dunkin Donuts, as Samantha took the dog to the 'you know who', and stopped on the way back to pick up 'breakfast'.  It became a very long day.  "Call at midday if you have not heard anything", she was told.  I pretended I was not looking at the clock every five minutes!  At midday she was told to call back at two thirty.  It appeared they were giving him something to see if there were any blockages internally, and this would take a little longer to work.  We decided to walk back to the supermarket, as the lack of cinnamon raisin bagels on Monday had caused a slight concern.  Tuesday morning saw the last one taken from the freezer, and the panic had already started to set in!  Together with the panic, came the clouds.  They rolled in and started to cry as we set off.  The walk was rather pleasant, and the ground was still quite dry.  


There was an abundance of bagels of all varieties, and I scooped up a dozen, before heading to the cash desk.  Samantha had managed to get her poncho stuck on the corner of the housing for the conveyor belt, and could not budge.  The arm kept catching, and she kept on getting pulled back.  The staff at the shop, who were rather amused at our attire to begin with, were laughing quite openly, as she went forward, and back, forward and back, before eventually freeing herself.  "Only you two", said one of the cashiers.  Yes.  We have arrived, and we are a duo!  After paying for the bagels, we stepped out of the shop into a torrential downpour.  Texas rain!  By the time we were out of the store car park, and walking along the pavement, the puddles were almost ankle deep, and in the main, unavoidable.  Although from head to knee I was covered by plastic, from the shins down, I was soaked.  The bagels were tucked away in a back pack and quite safe.


I went with Samantha to get the dog.  I appeared that there was

nothing wrong.  There was no blockage.  There were no outward signs of problems.  He ate quite happily from a syringe.  This was going to be an uphill struggle, but it was the best way to get food into his little tummy.  "I know this might sound odd", I said, being brave, as I found the vet to be rather difficult to understand, "But could it be depression.  You know how some people get depressed after an operation?"  He looked at me, and pointed to the x-ray, and started to tell me what they wanted to avoid, and how they had looked for certain ailments, and left me none the wiser.  It was probable that he did not understand me either!  "Ask him if he thinks it's his teeth", said Samantha as the vet walked out to get the dog.  "Oh sure", I said.  "He will probably tell me it has dropped to 76 degrees outside!" 

We brought the happy puppy back to the office, and wondered how the next few days were going to pan out, regarding his eating habits.


Try as I might to not let things 'pile up', mentally, I fail miserably.  My organisational skills rely upon plain sailing and if my routine is 

'put out' by one thing, the rest falls like a pack of cards.  If I have organised my week around going swimming at lunchtime, and it rains, it alters the status quo.  My only saving grace is that I know how irrational I am!

After going to Joe on Wednesday, I cruised across town to get to my nail technician.  It was going to be another walking day.  The steam came off the pavement as the last rain storm rolled through, but the ponchos were not needed.  The dog seemed to enjoy the exercise.  


The week continued to travel along and the football became the highlight.  I listened to many a game, and watched a few choice moments.  It was enjoyable to not have a 'dog in the hunt', and watch some last minute goals, and surprises.  Without the football, my week would have consisted of bagels and solicitors, with a touch of canine to break the monotony.  We left work on Friday night and headed home.  "I need to put air in the tyre", said Dana, as we drove the short distance to our house.  


At last, Saturday came around, and the usual plan was put into place.  We went to Costco, Walmart, and the Dollar Tree.  We put in an appearance at the ailing 'Toys R Us', as they entered their final days in the retail world.  Samantha found a Teddy Ruxpin on offer, and could not resist buying herself an updated version of a child hood toy she had loved.  The price she paid was cheaper than the original toy bought all those years ago!



After a wonderful afternoon at the pool, we got ready to go for dinner.  We were meeting Samantha and Edward at one of the local buffets.  As we turned onto the road where the restaurant sits, we felt the car judder.  It limped into the car park, and we got out.  The tyre was as flat as a pancake!  Or if I were to speak American, it was as flat as a crepe!  (The pancakes here have a little bit of substance!)  We went into the restaurant and I had lost my appetite.  My pack of cards folded!  When we had all finished, Edward retrieved his super charger, which not only charges a flat battery, but also charges phones, has a special light, and more to the point, inflates tyres.  "Why don't you just change the tyre?" said Samantha, who decided to check whether we had a spare and was not the only one to be pleased to see that we did.  (Apparently, some cars do not even have the 'donut' anymore.)  "Let's just get some air in it and see what happens", said Dana.  The tyre inflated to a certain level, but would not take any more air.  There was enough air to get us to the garage opposite and inflate it with their high pressure machine.  "Why don't you just change the tyre?", said Samantha.  Dana repeated his previous answer.  We said cheerio to the kids, and headed south. 

"What's wrong with the machine?" came a voice that sounded like my daughters  "We thought we would follow you, just in case", said Samantha.  The air machine was not working.  Samantha said, "Why don't you just change the tyre?"  Dana started to walk towards the cashier station.  "They won't do anything about the air machine", said I.  "They will say it is not theirs, and to call the number on the side!"  He continued to walk.  "Why don't we just change the tyre", said my daughter, who had the boot open and was unscrewing the mechanism.  "There you are.  All we need is here!" she said, as she pulled out the spare, and the jack.  The gave Edward instructions, and he started to unwind the jack.  Dana came back to the car, in time to see Samantha treading on the lug-wrench and holding on to Edward to get some traction.  "They wouldn't give me my money back.  They said it is not theirs and there is a number on the side, that I should call".  By now, not only had Samantha got all the bolts loosened, but she had Edward 'jack up' the car, and was taking off the 'flat'.  Dana was starring in awe.  "There!  I have changed the tyre!" 


We got home, after profuse thanks, and made a decision to go to the tyre store next to my favourite breakfast eatery, and have it fixed whilst we ate, on Sunday.  We stuck to the plan.  My cards were not quite neatly stacked, but the deck was not folded.  The car was not quite ready when we returned, so we walked, killing two birds with one stone as we were going to be a little later home than usual.  We had been asked to tea at a neighbour at four, and while I was talking to my mum, I made some scones to take.  I went to the pool earlier than usual, so I could leave earlier.  It was a worthwhile compromise!


The car is fixed.  The 'donut' is back in place, and I am ever so grateful to my daughter.  Making a her bagel every day is not quite a fair swap but I will continue, in case I need any more maintenance done!


Rain, apparently, will not stop play now for a couple of months, but then again, it is Austin, so who knows what tomorrow will bring.  The dog ate a little more than he has been doing today, as I was very patient, and fed him little and often.  As for me, well my deck of cards is stable at present, but tomorrow is another day.  I am confident that it will stay stacked, but I will let you know in ........ another story!



No comments:

Post a Comment