Search This Blog

Sunday, December 31, 2017

START ALL OVER AGAIN!

The 'preparations' that my mother was so concerned about, were completed on Sunday.  I decided to add a little bit of 'southern cooking' to the proceedings, and made a green been casserole, and just for good measure, a macaroni cheese.  This, too, did not take much time, and once the turkey was safely in the oven, I was as free as a bird, pardon the pun, to look as if I was busy!

Clearing away after dinner was a 'breeze', as the wonderful disposable plates and cutlery, that had been transported by air from Austin, via Houston, to London, were put into a black bag, and taken to the 'wheelie bin'.  With so little washing up, we were finished in record time.  Ollie opened his presents, and then most of us went for the traditional walk around the block.  When everyone left Samantha and Edward stayed behind to help me get all my bedroom furniture back into the lounge, so that I could sleep soundly after a very long day.

I did not sleep, as I was conscious of my mother's every move.  Although she did not leave her room, my ears perked up each time she made a sound.  It was reminiscent of when my children were small!
No automatic alt text available.
Boxing day started early.  Mum's carer returned by seven thirty, and I walked around to the village to buy some flowers for Steph's grandma.  It was an interesting experience.  I bought two bunches of flowers, and went to the self check out.  After I had paid, I looked around for an elongated bag in which to put my fluers.  As I looked, I saw a beautiful bunch in a bucket, and noticed that they were reduced to 'virtually nothing'.  I could not leave them, risking the chance of their being deposited in a dark bin, possibly sharing space with my disposable crockery, when the dark bin was emptied into the communal truck, never to see the light of day again!  I took them to the check out.  I had moved the other two bunches to the side, and placed the receipt atop.  "Excuse me".  I looked around.  I did not have a trolley, so I had not walked off with the wrong one. I did not see a smiling face looking down at me, with sympathy, as I had done the week before.  Instead, I encountered the wrath of the shop assistant.  "How many flowers have you got!"  I looked, and replied, "three bunches", assuming that this was not a mathematics question, and counting them individually was unnecessary.  The look of contempt was unnecessary, as I was still unsure as to why I had incurred the complete abhoration of the lady behind the counter.  "How many have you paid for", she barked. The light came on!  I realised that she had not seen me pay for the previous bunches.  Waving the receipt in her direction, I said, "I paid for these and saw the other bunch".  A lesson in where to put paid for items, no matter the circumstances, ensued, and I felt duly reprimanded.  I only hoped that there would not be a written part to the exam as I was not sure that I had my reading glasses in my bag! Duly trained in the art of buying additional items, I left the building, vowing never to make the horrendous mistake again!  

Samantha collected before one, and we had a lovely day with 'the family'.  

Snow started to fall on Wednesday morning.  The flurries started to thicken, and the ground, although wet, was accepting its fate as though it had no choice.  I had wanted to go to the mall to get some ante-penultimate bits and pieces, (the penultimate would be later in the week, and the final just before departure,) but I knew that bargaining with my mother for the use of her car, would be harder than exiting the flower sellers without reprimand!  However, thankfully, the ice droplets gave way to raindrops, and I drove over to Richard's, where the family were congregated and ready to head to the mall.

Crowded as it was, I managed to complete all I had to do, but forgot to take my phone card for my Internet 'dongle'.  Dial-up is really not an option, although my mother still has her computer set to that particular medium!  We all went back to Richard and Steph's, and after a while, we all went our separate ways.  

Samantha came in to say au revoir, as she was heading back stateside, and I settled down to go to bed in my 'cubicle'.

Thursday morning was less turbulent.  I got up early and was ready to get on the road by the time we had finished breakfast.  I was not going far.  Beverly had wanted me to go with her to take back a television, which she had found difficult to return, and after quoting the law and various 'goodwill' gesture possibilities, a refund was granted!  I had been into Borehamwood to get the penultimate items, and came back to my mum with another bag of shopping. Richard and Steph were spending the day with friends, and by the time they returned home, I was exhausted, and did not want to venture out, despite yearning to see all 'my boys'.

By the end of the week, my suitcases were starting to fill, and I was going through the usual stress pattern of weighing and reweighing. Richard and Steph came over for lunch, and Ollie stayed with me when they left.  He wanted to help 'clear up'.  Taking advantage of something that will not last for very long, I accepted his help, and promised him a trip to the park.  However, his parents had left without leaving his coat and wellington boots, so I had to take him home to collect them.  We went to the local park, where he found a suitably deep puddle to ride his bike though, and splash until he was wet enough to want to go home!

Although Richard had asked me to babysit on Friday, by the time I was ready to leave their house, I was quite the worse for wear. Steph suggested they go out on Saturday instead.  I was very thankful for the reprieve, and spent the morning repacking!  

The trip to the supermarket in the afternoon saw the 'final' shop. My mother pushed her trolley, obliviously, into legs, displays and anything that was in the way.  Quite surprisingly, I heard an American accent.  When I turned, I saw a woman, probably twenty years my senior, if not more, pushing a man in a wheelchair, with a trolley attached to the front.  She was on 'a mission', but could not find what she wanted.  "Wait here, don't go anywhere", she told him, as she disappeared to find an assistant.  "Where can you go?", I asked, sarcastically, as he sat trapped between the chair and trolley!  She returned to wheel him around the rest of the aisles, and I continued to fill our cart with goodies.

Image may contain: car and outdoorAfter lunch, and a few chores, I left to go to Richard's, where I found both boys eating dinner. The 'parents' left after putting Jamie to bed, and Grandma and Ollie had some quality time, until Jamie decided that bed was not the best place to be, and screamed until he was quite exhausted.  Attempting to calm him down, I used some old tricks, such as singing nonsense songs, and making up silly poems.  After a while, he seemed to be ready to go back to bed, and settled down quite peacefully.  Ollie resisted going to bed, telling me that he had 'gone' to the bathroom last night, so did not need to 'go' again tonight!  I set about explaining why that was not a good plan!

Despite not being tired, the big brother fell asleep, still resisting, as his head touched the pillow, and the pair did not stir whilst I was in charge.  I made my dinner, did a little bit of washing up, and settled down to watch some old television programmes that are repeated constantly in England, apparently, but which I do not see whilst in the USA.  Rich and Steph arrived home just before ten, and although they managed to get a bite to eat, they had not done any of the sale shopping that they had hoped for, as the place where they had gone was 'heaving'. However, they had a night out, together, without two little ones!

Sunday morning my mother wanted to go to the 'mobility shop'.  I drove to my sister, and we three went on an adventure.  The shop was closed, despite its web page being updated to say it was open! However, so as not to waste the time, we went to Costco.  "Do not let me buy anything!" I requested, with vigour!  We toured the aisles and as we left, handed our 'tickets' to the man at the door. "Last of the big spenders", my sister said, as we each had two items.  I had not bought anything for my suitcase, so my purchases were permitted.  "This is the best New Years Eve party!", I told the chap who was looking a little confused.  "Lots of entertainment and I can be in bed by eight!"  He giggled, slightly, although I am not sure he completely got the joke!  

Rich and Steph bought the boys over in the afternoon, as I did not want to leave my mother alone.  Her carer had gone for the day, and I felt responsible.  They stayed for a long while, and then I put the 'joint' in the oven for dinner.

Waiting for my sister and David to arrive, all that is left for me to do is wish everyone a very happy, and particularly healthy, new year, and I am sure that 2018 will bring many more adventures, and lots of chances to say, watch out for ............ another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment