Search This Blog

Monday, December 25, 2017

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!

I was not at all prepared to leave on Tuesday, as I had planned to pack on Sunday, and take care of my usual household tasks on Monday, and be totally in control by Tuesday morning.  

Packing did not take place on Sunday, as I had to find some 'space saver' bags in which to put all the clothes I had bought for the boys, and for my sister to give as gifts.  After I put them into separate bags, I realised that there was not enough air to 'suck out', and it made little difference to the amount of space saved.  I then put everything into the bags, turned on the vacuum, and managed to get the bag to shrink to a good size.  However, it was too long to fit in my case.  The third attempt was just like the porridge in 'The three bears', and at a perfect size, I placed it in the case.  My only problem now was to find some clothes so that I could repeat the performance with my wares and somehow manage to get the disposable crockery and cutlery I had purchased for Christmas Day, into the case, with presents for the boys, and family.

Monday did not start well, and as usual, I did not stick to task.  I thought I would be able to get my housework completed, and manage to get ready for work with time to spare, but there seemed to be a lot more to do!  I had to make sure all my travelling items were 'charged', and go through the usual routine of the Christmas classic, to wit, 'making a list, checking it twice'.  However, twice is never enough, and I found myself adding articles up one side of the page, and down the other!

Tuesday afternoon came rather too quickly, and Samantha drove me to the airport.  All my 'deliveries' had arrived, and everything was packed away in time. By the time I had to leave the office, I was so organised, it was unnerving. I thought I had forgotten something.

Security was negotiated rather quickly, and I headed to the lounge, where I was asked to model my t-shirt.  It was the one Edward had bought me last year, indicating that I was the 'proud mother-in-law of an awesome son-in-law', and I was asked to confirm that this was the case.  I concurred that I was, indeed, most proud of my son-in-law, and sung his praises, but giving equal 'air-time' to my daughter-in-law, singing her praises too, to be fair!

The first flight was rather enjoyable.  I sat next to an 'ex-pat' from Scotland, and we spent the entire flight discussing the differences between cultures.  He was going to North Carolina, and I told him that this is from where my most awesome son-in-law, the one mentioned in the t-shirt, hailed!

As I entered the lounge at Houston, a young child was trying to climb the 'down' escalators.  "Girl", shouted the woman at the desk, as I approached, then she looked at me, and as I was about to say 'Hi', giving the sweetest smile, I was greeted with, "Is she yours?" Quite taken aback, I shook my head, still with the sweet smile across my face, and said "Hi".  The woman was not satisfied.  "She needs to stop.  Girl! Stop!  Is she yours?"  The smile waned,  "Nope, still not mine", I replied, and handed her my documents, in the hope that I could spend some time in the area, without accusation! Eventually, the father came forward and announced that the child belonged to him.  He did not, however, reprimand her, nor tell her to stop climbing the 'down' escalators!  "She needs to stop", said the woman behind the counter, to me.  The smile disappeared, and my documents were handed back to me, quickly.

"I am in the lounge.  In the first class lounge.  Upgraded to business.  It is amazing",  A male, I would guess in his early thirties, was on the phone to someone, and letting them know where he was.  The 'first class' lounge, had recently been overhauled, but it was nowhere near 'first class'.  It was 'the lounge'.  In fact, it was missing a floor!  I shrugged and looked over at the usual small bar containing soup and a few salad items thrown in for good measure. "There is so much food", came the next exaggeration. This caused a few more people to look up and look around the area.  "American Buffet, Middle-Eastern Buffet, all you can think of".  I stretched my neck to look around the corner, and noticed that a few people had risen and were walking around to the other side of the partition. One by one, they returned, shaking their heads, and shrugging their shoulders.  I wondered if someone might ask the gentleman where this smorgasbord of delight was located, as no one else would find it!

I had to leave the lounge to board the plane, where I was treated, uncharacteristically, with grace and charm! The staff at the desk had asked for those needing a little longer to board to come forward.  There were three or four families, a lady in a wheelchair, and a couple that managed to push their way through the crowd to the front of the queue, who insisted that they needed the additional time.  Once again, everyone looked.  They appeared to be rather agile, but no one was going to make a fuss.  After all, it was coming up to the season of goodwill!   It was a wonderful flight, and everyone was so delightful!  I slept for a while and watched two movies.

Christmas dinner was looking to be a little more stressful than anticipated, for a while, as my cases failed to arrive.  The couple who had managed to board first, hauled their rather heavy looking suit cases off the conveyor belt, and raced to the exit.  Perhaps they were just in a hurry and considered a sprint on to the plane a way of feeling they were cheating time!  Eventually, I spotted one case.  I dared not look to see if it was the one, that contained the crockery and cutlery, as the other contained the presents.  I said a silent prayer, and waited.  The taxi driver had called, and asked me to call him when I had both my bags.  My phone was not playing nicely, and I could not get the 'package' which I had hoped for, and I was unable to access the number from where the cabbie rang, to return the call to say I now was ready to roll!  Thankfully he called me again.

The ride back to my mother's house did not take too long, and she greeted me at the door, with her walking frame, and her carer.  I was asked if I was tired, and if I felt up to going shopping for food that afternoon.  I said that would be fine!  My mother had panicked that there would not be enough for me to eat, and insisted we go as soon as possible, as I obviously looked like I was starving!  I think if truth be told, she was down to her last four pints of milk,, and only had two dozen toilet rolls left on the shelf!  I obliged, as I knew she needed to get out, and one of the reasons I arrived in England earlier than usual for this time of year, was to succumb to her every whim.  (Perhaps 'every', is on par with 'American Buffet....', etc, but I would try and oblige!)  

Once home, we unpacked the shopping and I set off to see the grand kids!  Ollie, who had been expecting me, answered the door, and after running away, run up to me and gave me an enormous hug.  Jamie appeared quite happy to see me too.  

My first night's sleep was very sound, despite sleeping on the futon, and having no pillow.  I could have slept on a board with a sack cloth sheet and I think I would have slept the same!

After breakfast, I had to go to Borehamwood, and drop off the receipt for the turkey.  My sister was going to collect it on Saturday morning, and my mother had the receipt.  Co-ordination at its best! 
Despite the queues, I managed to find somewhere to park, and walked into the town centre, and made a few purchases before coming back to the pound shop, where I stocked up on essentials, viz-a-viz, chocolate!  I arrived home at lunchtime, and then drove over to Richard as I had been in England for over twenty four hours, and not seen my son!  It was a joyful reunion.

On Friday, I had to go to the supermarket.  I wanted to buy some things for the 'big day', and set off as early as possible.  Filling up the car with petrol was rather expensive, but I wanted one less 'stress button' to be pushed, when my mother asked 'how much petrol do I have'.  Full to the brim, I drove to Sainsbury, and waited patiently for a car to vacate a prime spot, and claimed it before anyone else could!

Bedlam was sane by comparison.  Marks and Spencer appeared to be 'giving it away' although I had to pay full price for my wares. The aisles were packed solid, and the season of goodwill obviously had either gone, or was waiting to make a grand entrance.  I exited after buying a nominal amount of food, which was on the rather large list that my mother had compiled, and went into Sainsbury, which is, fortunately, adjoining.  After 'bumping into' one of my friend's friends, and exchanging pleasantries, I continued going up and down the aisles, repeatedly, as although this was my 'local' store, I am now completely unaware of where anything is situated. "Excuse me!", I heard, vaguely in the distance.  I continued on. "Excuse me!'", said the voice again, and once again, I continued on. "Excuse me, love!"  I turned, as I felt a hand on my arm.  I had stopped as I was looking at my trolley and wondering why it looked smaller than the one I had wheeled in.  "Can I have my trolley back?", said the shopper who had been calling me for the past ten minutes.  I apologised and told him that I find this kind of year rather challenging!  He, fortunately, did have some 'good cheer', and told me that I was not alone!   

Arriving back at mum's for lunch, I packed away the shopping and sat down exhausted!  I helped prepare dinner, and three of us, mum, her carer, and me, ate a roast dinner fit for a king!  A buffet it was not, but I retired to the lounge of the bungalow feeling full and quite tired.

Saturday morning was another early start.  I had to babysit for the boys whilst Richard took his car for its service.  I waited for Matnee and Edward to land on the doorstep, having flown in a couple of hours earlier, and then, once they had left for a midday snooze to catch up on some of their lost sleep from the 'red eye', I had to entertain two little ones.  In order to let a young boy run off some steam, I walked round to the park, pushing the push chair, and shouting orders at a three year old to, "stop", "wait", and "be careful", as he rode his bike along the pavement.  We arrived at the park and walked through the mud to get to the swings.  Needing assistance to get to the higher apparatus, my boots were not the only thing covered in mud, as Ollie used my arms and shoulders to help him up!  Walking back to the house, Ollie decided that he was too tired  to walk, after his scaling the sides of immense mountains, and as I could not push the buggy and carry him, he took a seat on top of his brother, and gave me the opportunity to shake off any cobwebs that had remained from the transatlantic flight, or the extra pounds that the 'American buffet, and Middle-eastern buffet' had caused me to gain!

Lunch was with Beverly, Jodi, Holly, Samantha and Edward.  It was wonderful to see my friend, and my daughter's friends.  We ate and chatted for a long time, and then I had one more stop before I headed back to my mother.  I had to go to the supermarket.  I drove Holly home, and she gave me directions to 'The Dome', where I walked in bravely, and fought with those who were already in the building, to buy dinner for the three of us.  I was polite, and stood in line without moaning, or losing any of the seasonal cheer that had departed from my fellow shoppers.  Nothing else would be needed until, I hoped, Tuesday!

I wasn't really allowed out on Sunday, as mum said we had a lot of 'preparations' to get through.  I reminded her that all we really had to do was cook the turkey, and going out for a couple of hours was not going to upset the status quo!  Richard picked me up, and I ran around the soft play area at Willows Farm, to make sure I was fit enough to take on the grand performance, the very next day.  Ollie joined me in swinging and sliding through cargo nets, and tubes.  I am not sure who had more fun!

Rosie, my mother's (temporary, my mother insists) carer, left with my sister, who was going to give her a ride to the station, and mum and I settled down and discussed our plans for Monday.  This was not going to be a normal Christmas for us.  It was going to be a miracle!  After my mother's near fatal accident, she has been hailed 
the 'miracle' by all her doctors, and various other professionals. 

The main day was yet to come.  Fun, festivities and good cheer were hoped for, but of course, anything can happen!  Happy Christmas, one and all, and may we all meet again in ....... another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment