Search This Blog

Sunday, January 7, 2018

LET IT GO!

New Year's Eve did not end quite as I had expected it to.  By the time it came to dinner, I felt like an inflatable, that with one more puff of air, I would explode.  Full to my toes, and stretched out to my fingers, there was absolutely no room left to take another morsel.  I sat at the dinner table and watched while everyone enjoyed their roast lamb and trimmings.  

After speaking to Dana, I turned out my light, and fell asleep.  Ironically, it was the earliest I had been to bed since I arrived, and I fell asleep instantly.  However, at 11:30, I was awoken to what sounded like a party being held in the back garden.  Fireworks were exploding, and people were shrieking, despite there being half an hour to go before midnight.  I dozed off again and was awoken at the turn of the year by another round of explosions, but surprisingly less noise!  Fortunately, whomever provided the rockets only had enough to last six minutes, and I went back to sleep again.

After breakfast, I packed my suitcases and reweighed them,  It was going to be a close call as to whether they were going to be underweight and I started to regret the amount of goodies I had bought.  

I spent the day with Richard, Steph and the boys.  We had lunch in a local pub, and this time I enjoyed the roast dinner, despite it being a children's portion. Richard, Ollie and I fed the ducks afterward, in the park, and then I stood in the cold and watched my grandson climb up and down a variety of apparatus on an obstacle course that would have been 'fun in the sun'!  We returned back to their home, and I left shortly after the boys had dinner, as the emotions were starting to get the better of me, and although I wanted to spend every last moment with them, I had promised my mother that I would be home for dinner, and spend the evening with her.  Once again, I could not face any more food and declined dinner.  I had started to wind down and wanted to be home, without the impending long journey.

The cab arrived on time, Tuesday morning, and I was ready.  I had risen early, and although Rosie, mum's 'temporary' carer, was trying to help me, I told her that I had a routine when leaving early, and could not deviate.  The cab driver looked at my cases, and said that he had not been told there was luggage.  My mood was slightly less than 'Austin', and rather than use my usual vernacular of "Oh, is it a problem.  We can think of something", I went into a tirade.  After I gave him an ultimatum of, 'pack 'em in, or call another cab',  he attempted to haul them into the boot of his car, but needed help.  Once in, I went back inside, bid my mother farewell, and was on my way by six fifteen.  Although I did not apologise, I intimated my regret, and our conversation was pleasant.

My cases were indeed very heavy, with both being a fraction under that allowed.  I breathed a sigh of relief and went through security.

I had been tasked with buying a tin of shortbread biscuits for Samantha.  "Walkers, with a picture of Will and Kate on the front.  When you get through, turn around and look to your left".  I followed the instructions implicitly, and as reached the 'other side' of the security barrier, I turned and looked left.  Harrods was what I saw, and I knew they only carried their own brand, so I did not bother looking.  I went into a couple of likely shops, but to no avail.  Fearing failure, but not wanting to compromise breakfast, as by now I was a little bit hungry, I entered the Duty Free shop, and to my delight, I saw the tins!  After purchasing the coveted product, I set about finding the next item.  A magnet with Harry and Meghan!  Despite my surge of enthusiasm brought on by previous success, I was unable to complete the task, and had admit defeat.

Hungry as I was in the lounge, I was judicious with my choice of breakfast.  Not wanting to feel unwell on the plane was my first objective.  


I settled into my seat on the large aircraft, and accepted a pre-flight tonic water, from the gracious flight attendant.  Amazed, but delighted, it appeared that I would have back to back flights with a crew that was polite!  This has been a rare occurrence of late!  'Goodbye Christopher Robin' was on the list of movie selections and I selected this first.  We had managed to miss the showing when it was in Austin, as it appeared to be playing for one night, in one theatre!  As the film came to its climax, so did my emotions, and the wad of tissues that Rosie had thoughtfully given me before I exited the house, were now all very tattered and soaking wet.  I could not hold back the tears, and failed to stop the sobs, which were causing my fellow passengers to peer across to my corner!


In total contrast, the next movie, 'Victoria and Abdul,' caused me to laugh.  This time, I failed to control my giggles, and once again my fellow passengers peered across the aircraft, with questioning looks upon their faces.  

Breakfast and a huge lunch once again brought me to the point of bursting, and I refused the remaining offers of food, which surprised me more than the crew!

No automatic alt text available."Your hair is different", said the immigration officer, as I stood in front of him.  "You could be from that movie.  Which one is it.  Frozen.  Yes, with your pigtails, you could be Elsa".  Welcome back to the land of compliments, I thought.  "I will accept that compliment, sir, with thanks, as Elsa was a young girl!"  He laughed and then asked "What food have you brought back".  The answer was simple.  "Chocolate".  The faux interrogation ensued.  "What kind of Chocolate?"  I responded.  "Every kind you can imagine.  Cadbury.  Toblerone.  Supermarket.  I am not returning for a while, so I have to keep my husband in the lap of luxury to which he has become accustomed."  A slight grin formed.  "So, do you like dark chocolate?"  I nodded in affirmation.  Of course, I realised the questioning was probably as a direct result of my printing the list of wares and cost on the customs form, and next to Chocolate was the amount of $50.  In retrospect, I think that was rather conservative!  "Welcome back, ma'am, and a happy new year".  Yes!  I was home!

My cases appeared to be heavier as I lifted them off the conveyor belt, and tried to get them onto the trolley.  Although locked, the apparatus would not stay still, and two very helpful young ladies attempted to assist me.  "Wow.  What have you got in here?" said one.  "Chocolate", I replied, cheekily.  

No automatic alt text available.Once through customs, I proceeded to empty my carry-on of all unnecessary items, and put them into the larger cases.  I wondered how they would fare on their way to Austin, as the plane was considerably smaller, but many people would not have luggage on the short flight.  I wheeled the trolley to the next stop, where the young man transferring luggage on to the conveyor belt struggled to lift them.  "No need for a work out today, huh?" I said, in an attempt at humour.  I could see he was wondering why I was travelling with two suitcases full of bricks, but he simply smiled, and replied, "No ma'am!"

The queue for the next security check was rather long, but I was behind a couple, originally from Scotland, who had emigrated fifteen years ago to New Zealand, and were on their way to Fort Lauderdale to start a Caribbean Cruise.  We discussed missing 'home', but also the joy we experienced in our new countries, and the wait to reach the front was not unpleasant.  In fact, so busy was the facility, they did not require the usual removal of shoes, etc.  We all went through the 'dingers' rather than the x-ray machines.

Hunger had returned, and I had a cup of soup in the lounge, while waiting another four hours for my next flight.  Samantha had left her in-laws, and her and Edward were in transit from North Carolina to Austin, via Nashville.  Her first flight was before mine, and she was due to take off again just as I landed in Austin.  I fell asleep as we taxied to take off, which took about thirty five minutes!  

As Dana had the dog, he was going to meet me 'curbside'.  The noise to indicate a text, rang through the cabin as I turned on my phone.  "Have you landed yet?"  I was not in the best frame of mind!  I responded with a simple "Yes".  My cases were not on the conveyor belt. The second text arose.  "Is there a problem with your bags".  I responded with a simple "Yes."  Anxiety attempted to rise.  However, I refused to give in and went to check to see if they were in the 'oversized' bag area.  They were not, but instead were sitting in the airline office, awaiting collection.  "What's the problem with your bags?" was the third text.  It was time to elaborate.  "They weren't there".  What else could be the problem?  As it happened, the problem was that one of the wheels had broken, and the airline staff were very apologetic.  It appeared that I was covered by insurance on an international flight, and a free repair was offered.  "Are you the exterminator?" the lady asked.  I looked at her with curiosity.  "Oh not you honey.  Him."  A small man with a strange contraption strapped to his person had entered after me.  "We have been swarmed with mice.  In the ceiling.  In the back room.  Some have even run in here."  My immediate reaction was to hop from foot to foot in order to avoid any such creatures, and I scanned the floor area as best I could.  "Everywhere.  They have gotten everywhere!"  This did not help!  Also, Dana's continuing texting as to "What is happening", did not help.  Exhaustion together with tomato soup forming into an acrobat n my stomach accentuated the problem.  I just wanted to go home, with my cases, without mice, and with my stomach contents in place!

Eventually, I left the office, text'd Dana to say I was heading outside, and attempted to manhandle three cases to the door.  Fortunately, the cases rolled upright with a gentle push.  Unfortunately, someone stepped in my path!  "Get out of the way", I shouted to the man who turned and saw two large multicoloured torpedoes heading in his direction.  "Brrrrmmm", came the text.  The next word I said was not nice.  It was not really bad, but would have been unacceptable in my mother's eyes.  The carpet rug by the automatic doors then impeded my progress, and as the cases stopped, as they refused to climb over the lip of the rug, I did not.  Laying almost flat atop the three bags, I almost gave up.  I could have fallen asleep standing, or almost standing, at that point.  

The outside temperature was below freezing.  I wore a coat, hat and gloves, but it still felt as if I was in swimwear!  Dana's car rounded the corner, and I waved as he almost drove past.  He hopped out and opened his boot.  "What's in here?", he asked, as he attempted to lift the first case  "Hey Dane, I missed you too", I said, failing to mask the sarcasm!  A hug ensued, but spotting the marching traffic cop, it ended abruptly.  Realising that one of the two larger cases would not fit next to the other in the boot, it was placed on the back seat.  The dog was ecstatic to see me and ran around my head and shoulders, before settling down on my lap, and barking furiously as if to let all around know, "She's home!"

Unpacking Wednesday morning took longer than anticipated, and one case had not one, but two notices from TSA to say they had randomly selected my bag for inspection.  Obviously there was nothing contraband within so the contents were complete.  I headed out to Joe and then to have my nails revamped!

Work was relentless.  My stomach was still not settled, and I did not eat again. 

My temper improved on Thursday, as did my appetite, but I was still exceptionally tired.  I allowed Dana to take me to the diner for dinner, and enjoyed a bowl of tortilla soup.  I felt slightly more alive, and by Friday, my energy had been restored to a suitable level.

The call for volunteers for the 'Christmas Tree clean-up' was posted on a website which Samantha had accessed, but as we were not sure of our agenda for Saturday, we decided to 'clean-up' our own tree on Friday at lunchtime.  We climbed the cliff, but found someone had already undressed our shrub and taken all our decorations.  Slightly saddened, as it was not yet 12th night, and although we felt it to be a little untoward, we resigned ourselves to the fact that it was a public tree, and therefore when we added our decorations, these too became public property.  Compensation was a walk along the path which runs along the side of the river, albeit many feet higher, and the glorious views that could be seen.  

Saturday was bliss.  Back into routine.  Sam's club, Costco and Walmart.  Mundane but delightful.  Austinites were back to their polite, chatty selves, and queues were full of people conversing with strangers, and smiling at each other.  "Thank you ma'am", and "You got it, sir", never sounded so good!  The weather had broken and after a month of near to below freezing temperatures, feet could once again be seen in flip-flops, and shorts were spotted in various places!  Coats had all but disappeared, and scarves and gloves were put back into that box in the cupboard that is marked, "Emergencies only".  Hats, of course, are always worn!

Once again, I am slightly home sick.  I miss my family and friends back in Blighty. However, the life of an Englishwoman abroad is what I have chosen and as it is far from torture, being that I have family and friends here too, it is not hard to settle.  

In the words of Shakespeare, it is "Once more into the breach....", and onward and upward!  Another year starts, and we continue a we always do.  To borrow another quote, 'Life is what we make it!  Always has been, always will be'.  Next week will bring forth something different, and as always, I shall be bringing forth ..... another story! 





No comments:

Post a Comment