Search This Blog

Sunday, May 5, 2024

TWO WEEKS NOTICE!

I almost posted last weekend, but then time overtook.  I wondered whether I would have time to post the week before, as it was slightly different to other weekends. My time was occupied by a mass of limbs! 

The previous week had turned out to be quite uneventful, up until Wednesday, when Samantha dropped off two dogs and a baby.  When she had asked if I would be 'up for babysitting' last April, I thought "Why not", giving no thought as to any deviation in my usual day to day routine.  The baby would probably be walking, sleeping through the night, and the dogs...well the dogs would be Dana's responsibility. How was I to know what would happen in a year!

To say I was dreading the prospect of having the little one, whilst having to work, and look after two dogs as well, would have been an enormous understatement.  As the month of April approached, I was experiencing an apprehension that got more aggressive with each passing day, and by the time Monday came around, I was almost besides myself, counting down the days until it was 'the one'.  

Wednesday evening, I walked the dogs, and they were very well behaved, apart from the older one having an issue with his collar being too loose.  I was walking two dogs, and then I was walking a dog and a lead attached to an empty collar!  It was not too disasterous as something had caught his nose and he was sniffing furiously.  Everyone appeared to sleep well, apart from me, as I had my 'mum ears' open for every sound.

My fear that there may be some sort of surprise element on Thursday morning, when the baby saw me, rather than one of his parents first thing in the morning, was unfounded, as he put his arms up to be lifted out of the cot, and then his hands reached for his morning bottle. He appeared to care not whom handed it to him, as long as he had it.  Getting him into my two door car was more of a challenge, but we managed reasonably well.  He was quite occupied at the office with food, toys and lots of people paying him lots of attention.  My first day was over and the dogs walk later that evening was fairly efficient and definitely productive!

The weekend had its own challenges.  How did I keep a toddler occupied on days where I was not at work, and did not have the 'support team' that my office provides.  It is amazing how much energy little people have, and I had forgotten.  However, Grandma's house is great fun, as the drawers and cupboards open!  Grandma has a propensity for taking in large gulps of air, and making strange squeaking noises whenever the drawers and cupboards open, but has made it quite clear that she is not going to put 'child locks' on anything. We shall see how long that lasts!  

What could be easier than going for a walk with a pushchair and two dogs.  My daughter manages, and I am a capable person!  Up the hill we walked, and out of their collar and harness the dogs came!  One I could understand (despite having tightened the collar, which I came to realise needed daily adjusting) but the other....!  Obviously the harness had not been correctly applied.  How safe was the brake on the pushchair?  I was not about to find out, as I put it on and then realised I was not going to jeopardize the safety of the infant for the dogs.  Hardly 'Sophie's choice', but it was a dilemma!  My voice must have carried, as a (lovely) neighbour appeared and asked if I needed help.  We managed to man handle the quadrupeds into the basket under the chair, and then untangle the leads, which had managed to get quite knotted.  Back we walked to the house, and then I started again with just the chair!  

Thankfully, a nap was taken and I was given a couple of hours respite. However, the afternoon included lots of walks and more playing.  Repetition, no matter how many times, never gets boring for a toddler.  "Again, again, again", he cannot yet say, but he can 'sign', (although not to perfection,) and I understand what he means!

Teething is also something that I had (almost) forgotten about.  Sunday night was spent comforting a fraught little one, who would not let me leave his room.  Of course, I could have let him scream, but the dogs were rather upset by the noise. After a tremendous storm on Saturday night, and the inability to 'walk' them, (they refused to go out, and I cannot blame them,) I did not want any more distress.  Mummy was coming home the next day, and I could perhaps last another twenty four hours.

Monday morning was a bit of a blur.  I had very little sleep, and whilst the little one was content to sit and watch a programme I had playing on the 'spare' screen at the office, he was a little grumpy.  However, after his nap, he appeared to have regained some energy.  I had not!  Thankfully, 'mummy's' flight landed early, and they processed departing from the airport in super quick time.  By nine thirty Monday evening, I collapsed into a deep sleep!  

Trying to make up for lost sleep, and regaining energy was not an easy thing to do.  I was still in 'mummy' mode, and every little sound woke me.  

I finally realised that not only had I managed to get through the five days (and five nights) but I had survived.  It had all passed without (almost without) a hitch and I had come out the other end without battle scars!  The dogs had been reasonably well behaved (as much as I could ask for) and the baby was not really a bother at all.  However, as 'well played' I considered my attitude and performance, I was not particularly tolerant of what we had to 'put up with' during the week.

Our managing agency for the office had sent an email that indicated some 'exciting news'.  Apparently, not only were all the office doors and trim going to be painted, (feel the excitement,) but the roof was going to be replaced.  In order to keep costs down, they were going to complete the work during normal work hours!  Use of the restrooms would be limited, and there would be a lack of parking due to the industrial machinery that was needed!  Wow!  I could hardly contain myself!  I wanted to send a response, but did not.  What was exciting about the prospect of paint fumes and dust!  

The painting had been completed, and the disruption was minor.  I did not heed the 'not in use' signs for the banos as the main door was left ajar, and I could enter without getting paint all over me.  However, the roofers (despite having a job to do) were less respectful.  There was no warning of debris being hurled off the roof, hoping to hit the dumpster that had been placed over one side of the building.  A large 'digger' had been parked outside our window, and Grant was itching to 'have a go!'  I sent him a message as I left the office on Wednesday that I had seen the driver head up the ladder to the roof, and I had taken the ladder away so his path was clear to take it for a spin!  He sent one back saying, "Looks like someone has put the ladder back!"  Oh well!  

I am not sure if they just dumped the materials from a height on tov thev roof, or if the weight itself caused the vibrations and noise as they hit the ground above us.  All I know is that we were being hoisted out of our seats with each crash that came down at regular intervals.  The restrooms were full of dust as everything was dislodged, and items left my desk, airborne, for a second and then came back down.  I have experienced an earthquake, and it was not dissimilar!  Exciting? Hardly!  

Debris was everywhere, and dust clouds hovered continually for two days.  I think someone must have complained, as the digger was finally employed to bring the dirt from the roof to the dumpster.  After the hail the previous week, this was the final straw!

Thursday was the day they sealed the roof, which mean asphyxiating materials being spread everywhere, which was far worse that paint fumes!  I was ready to send a message asking why we had not been advised to 'make alternative plans, if possible'.  Of course, there are those who would not have been able to make those alternative plans, but at least we would have been prepared!  We wondered how the therapists were coping, as they offer safe, peaceful surroundings! My message was pre-empted, as the email arrived on Friday with a huge apology and thanks for being so 'patient'.  At least the new roof had taken care of all the leaks!  Oh good!  That made all the difference!  

I was ready for a weekend without dogs, babies and noise!  I wanted something nice and quiet, and actually made a reservation at a restaurant I did not realise existed anymore.  I had always enjoyed a particular dish, and when I found out there were two of the chain left in the Austin area, I was delighted.  A lovely weekend was expected.

Knowing I should not have opened the link to the email, did not stop me.  I was given the date and time of a neighbour's funeral, and whilst I was not obliged to go, I felt I should.  I arrived five minutes late, and it must have started on time, if not early!  I spotted the 'usual suspects' at the back of the hall, and joined the five neighbours who are 'always' there.  It was a lovely service, and I was pleased I went. I noticed a friend of another neighbour, who apparently knew the family from old, and went to say hello.  I was able to use the 'don't recognise me with my clothes on' line!  As I called her name, she looked in surprise.  "Tracie" I said.  She gave me a big hug and introduced me to some other ladies.  It is amazing how a dress, heels and a real hat (rather than a cap) can change one's appearance!

The restaurant was busy, and the 'live entertainment' which was supposed to be outside on the patio, was inside, not too far from us.  However, it was not unpleasant, one man with his guitar, who played some decent songs.  The problem was getting the food.  I had decided to 'dress up' a bit, and had on a little black number with heels (again) and had my hair half clipped up, but mostly down.  We waited, and waited.  A waitress serving surrounding tables was constantly apologising  to her patrons.  Our waiter avoided us like the plague! Eventually, I saw someone approach a man who appeared to be the manager, and I followed suit. He was not tall, and with my heels, I spoke to him at eye level.  Of course, I was polite, but fairly firm. It did not occur to me until afterwards, that I may have been a little intimidating.  I reminded myself of my mother.  I felt rather elegant, and actually felt quite tall, what with my hair clipped to make me seem taller, and of course the heels!  He was extremely apologetic and said he would go and check on our food.

Our meal, along with most others around us, was 'comp'd'.  "And dessert. Any desserts you want.  And drinks! This is all on me!"  We were not expecting such a deal.  We were not going to order dessert as we generally do not, so it would have been a little cheeky to do so, but the manager insisted that we do!  The table opposite us had the works!  As they departed, the person who had made the initial complaint came over to me.  I thought she was going to say something about the poor service, but she caught me by surprise. "You are beautiful", she said, and continued, "Just beautiful.  Your whole ensemble. You just carry it off.  I love your hair.  Oh how I wish I had your hair!  You just look beautiful".  I was very thankful for her compliment, and embarrassed as she did not seem to stop, but hey, that is Austin!  I must have been beaming as all stared from all directions!

The rain started Sunday morning, and although there were breaks, was still going at lunchtime.  I had plans for the afternoon, but was not too bothered by the forecast.  Perhaps a nap was in the works!  Instead, I spent the afternoon in the kitchen, and of course, ended up finishing much later than anticipated.

Last week flew by.  I was about to post on Monday, but time did not permit.  Tuesday came and went, with storms, rain, and other distractions.  Dinner on Wednesday was eaten whilst watching lightening being thrown across the skies, and explaining to a twenty three year old that we did have electricity in the 'seventies' as well as phones.  However, in order to know who was calling, the receiver had to be picked up and we had to say "Hello" with more of a question mark than acknowledgment!  

The highlight of the week was Friday, when Grant and I went to see Calder Allen at the radio station. Last week's performance had been cancelled, and this week's was an 'in lieu' for us.  It was rather nice that they chose to offer us an alternative, as it was a prize!  We arrived reasonably early, and greeting us at the window was Rosa, who we thought had left the station!  She appeared to be as pleased to see us as we were her, and was surprised we were only two, as normally we are expected as a threesome.  We did not know if the 'new cadre' allowed for such a plan!  Now we know!  Lunch was from Velvet Tacos, and fabulous.  The show was extremely entertaining, and as we drove back to the office, we once again relived the events we have experienced, and mused at the fact that we could take less than two hours off, have a fantastic lunch, and a great show, to boot!  We never take it for granted!

The film that Edward had thought had vanished from all cinemas, apparently had not!  There was one left still showing, so I said we would babysit. He was as good as gold, and went to bed without a hitch, slept through the night and ate a hearty breakfast.  I made 'drop scones' or 'Scottish pancakes' using a recipe that apparently the late Queen had given to Eleanor Roosevelt!  After shopping and a swim, I slept for nearly three hours!  Perhaps the last few weeks finally caught up with me!

Speaking to my sister, this morning, we laughed at how we were 'getting old' and yet still being expected to continue like we were 21! She said that she had lost some height and I said if the same thing happened to me I would disappear!  We mused at the fact that we were talking to each other 'face to face' on a phone screen, like we saw 'the future' in the large golf ball at Epcot!  We were now the 'older' generation, and life went on!  

Three weeks in one!  Sorry for the length but once I started, it just seemed to flow!  Yes, I can talk forever, even on a page!  Next week holds nothing of which I know about that could be of any importance, but then again, there is normally something to say in ......... another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment