Search This Blog

Sunday, March 24, 2024

INCREDIBLE JOURNEY!

My first real swim of the season, and the second, came on Sunday and Monday.  The water felt fantastic and I was surprised at how easily I managed to complete a fair distance without any problem.  Perhaps it was because I was not 'counting' and just 'swimming'.  Suddenly, once again, just like that, my life is an incredible journey!

Alone on Sunday, I cleaned the pool, which had so much debris floating on top, it took a considerable time.  As I finished, the gust of wind brought down more, and I decided that a 'natural' movement of the stuff that was floating on top would be the better option. Several laps later, I got out and cleaned the skimmers again.

Monday was cool to start with, but the water had not lost its warmth.  I had a chat with our maintenance man, and then went to work.

Unfortunately, Tuesday morning did not afford a swim.  The temperature had dropped considerably.  Despite the water probably being reasonable in which to swim, I chose not to take down all the paraphernalia necessary to ensure I was warm enough to walk back!

Making pastry and cleaning out my freezer left me rather frustrated! I had, as usual, taken on too much for one morning, and instead of sorting into sections, I ended up throwing everything back in, higgledy-piggledy!  It was a mess!  However, I vowed to put in all right Tuesday night, when I came home, along with getting all ready for Wednesday!

The best laid plans, etc., etc., are not always thwarted by unpleasant things.  "What have you won?" I asked Grant, as I espied a 'winning' email.  "Tickets to Winona!  Oh...they are for tonight!"  My first question, without so much as a 'by your leave' and with little regard for my 'must do when I get home' scenario, was, "Can I come?"  The tickets included a complete 'as many rides as you like' at the fair ground, and the rodeo!  Considering my basically city upbringing, I am amazed at how much I enjoy the rodeo!  The skill that is involved in barrel racing, bareback riding, team roping, bull riding, etc., etc., is quite incredible.  The care of the animals is paramount, and showing how and what is the job of a cowboy, is amazing.  I found myself cheering and whooping for the bull rider, and the girls who raced around the barrels.  "A mother of five", said the announcer as one of the riders appeared in the arena. "How does she find the time?" I asked Grant, knowing the lack thereof that I had with just two!  

We did not arrive until late, so did not pick up the fairground tickets, although I am sure if we had stopped at the box office, we would have been awarded them.  It mattered not, as despite being an attraction, there really was little to attract us.  We walked the perimeter and enjoyed the atmosphere, grabbing some 'kerchiefs, and koozies!  Before we headed inside to watch the show, we bought a couple of giant turkey legs, which lasted me into the weekend!

After the rodeo, which as mentioned was magnificent, the stage was set up for Winona Judd.  What a woman!  Again, my background was not filled with Country singers, Western or otherwise!  The 'real life' aspect of the music can be amusing, sad, or just plain 'relevant'.  Despite all Winona's downfalls and tragedy that have plagued her, she is an amazing show-woman!  I found myself tapping my feet, clapping my hands, and generally bopping to the beat!  It was an amazing show.

Once again, on my third rodeo we left before the end, and got back to the car.  Our parking space was premium!  Although we did not have 'premium' access, the distance from the vehicle to the venue was less than that of the 'VIP' access we experienced last year.  It took no time at all to leave the area, and I was home by eleven.  I peeled potatoes and then went to bed!

The week had its ups and downs.  There was a storm on Thursday night which lasted for a couple of hours, and gave us some much needed rain.  Dana had been to an appointment at the Veterans' Affairs facility, which was more of a 'discussion' than examination.  The doctor told both of us what kind of foods to avoid, to stay 'healthy', and I looked at her in shock.  "I don't think I have had a TV dinner in my life!" I said.  She laughed as I vehemently shook my head at all the things she asked if we ate on a regular basis.  "I was brought up on a balanced diet, and learned about nutritional values when I was 11!" I announced.  It was all taken in very good humour.  

Eventually, the weekend came around and I took advantage of the warmer weather.  The water temperature had dropped considerably. but I decided it was worth the effort.  After a few laps I started to realise my mistake.  It was cold, and it was getting colder.  I came out of the water, put on a jacket, and sat.  After reading for a while, sitting in the sun, attempting to raise my body temperature, I gave up! It is March!  Swimming is always 'on and off'.  I came in and spent some time in the kitchen.

We had a lovely dinner and then sat and watched a film.  Sunday morning we decided to go out for breakfast.  There is, still, something rather decadent about going out for breakfast.  Perhaps it stems from my youth, when, very, very occasionally, we went to a 24 hour cafe (which were not common) in the early hours of the morning, and had milkshakes and burgers, or perhaps it is because it wasn't a common occurrence back hone!  No matter that our breakfast outings are hardly to the elite, high class hotels that serve eggs benedict on a silver platter, or scrambled eggs with smoked salmon (although it can be had at some of the lesser places) but the mere opportunity of going out for breakfast is something of a treat for me!  We went to the very basic, good food, lots of it, diner, and were told to sit anywhere we liked.  Indeed, there was a sign at the front, displaying that very thing.  The average age of the wait staff this morning was probably 75, and as there was a young girl whom I told Dana was 'child labor' and another presumably college student, you can imagine the ages of the others!  A very nice, elderly gentleman came up and offered us coffee.  He then came back and took our order.  It is said, I believe, that sometimes (only sometimes) older people can revert back to their childhood, in thought and actions.  All of a sudden there was a kerfuffle!  "That is the fourth group that you have seated!" said our elderly gentleman to an elderly lady.  She shrugged her shoulders. "The sign says to seat yourselves!" he continued.  She ignored him. "I'm telling...." he said, and after giving the manager's name, sought her out and did exactly that.  He 'told' on his workmate.  The conversation that ensued was directly next to a couple whom she had seated.  "I wont do it again", said the waitress.  "I'm going to take their order", said our waiter.  The manager, a woman perhaps in her late thirties, held up her hands in surrender and told him to do what he thought fit.  At the same time, the waitress brought over two coffee cups and some cream. The waiter then appeared with two glasses of water and stood in anticipation of taking an order.  "We are not ready", said the lady.  He came to ask if I wanted more coffee, at the same time the waitress brought over two glasses of water.  She huffed and puffed.  As Dana had his back to this scene, he wanted to know why I was laughing.  Both waiter and waitress stood ready to pounce, as soon as menus were put down.  By the conversation I could overhear, (not on purpose,) the couple, despite being more my age than the manager's were on a 'date', and were talking about their families, instead of looking at the menu.  Up they were lifted, down they went again, and up they came, without either one looking at it.  By the time we left, the couple had still not placed an order, the restaurant had started to become busy, and neither octogenarian was to be seen!  I wondered if they would actually get served now that both had an abundance of customers!  Gotta love the place!  

We came home and continued with our day.  What a week!  It was rather full! Today was less pleasant than Saturday, so I spent some time in the kitchen, although I did get some time to read a little.  I am enjoying my book so much I am rationing the chapters!

There is little on the itinerary at the moment for next week, although Easter looms so there may be some respite!  Storms are predicted again for tonight, but they seem to be getting less and less aggressive. I do hope we have a little bit of rain, just for the sake of my plants! What lies in store is as much a surprise for me as for anyone, and hopefully for .......... another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment