Search This Blog

Monday, February 19, 2024

ORANGES ARE THE BEST FRUIT!

"What is a Clementine Cake?" asked Grant.  I assumed it was an orange flavoured dessert, or tea time treat of which I had not heard.  "It is in the movie, Walter Mitty!  Can you make it?"  The challenge was set!  Could I make this delicious offering?  There was no way I could  make it with clementines as they are out of season, but there were  several options which would, possibly, suffice.  Sunday, I got baking!

The week started off quite pleasant.  Although the mornings were cool, the afternoons started to heat up, and coats that were worn at the beginning of the day were carried out at the end.  Spring can't make up its mind in February in Austin.  Sometimes it is here, and sometimes it is not.  Three years ago, it was definitely not, as the memory of the 'great freeze' stirred again, and horror stories about the loss of amenities was once again revisited.

I called the mechanic on Monday morning, to find out what had happened to my car.  They had been 'working' on it for some time and I was now beginning to get a little concerned.  Visions of someone using it to get to and from work, whilst their vehicle was out of action, flooded my mind, or perhaps it had been mislaid.  It appears that the parts did not arrive when they said they would, or at least the correct parts.  It was a saga.


My 'old lady' had gone in for an inspection at the latter end of the year, and I had been given a list of things that really should be done.  The price was reasonably hefty but the more I drove the little vehicle, the more I realised it would be a good idea to just go ahead and bit the bullet so to speak.  I had called the establishment a few weeks prior, and spoke to the 'enthusiast' who had done the inspection.  He said he would 'work with me' on the price, and managed to get it down by a considerable amount.  When the manager called back, around three weeks ago, the price was even less, so I told them to go ahead.

Much as I trusted this particular franchise, the calls stopped coming in, and I was chasing them up.  "Should be ready today or tomorrow" I was told.  At the end of last week, I finally spoke to a manger, who admitted that the parts that had been received were not correct, and they had to send them back.  The correct bits had taken longer to arrive than anticipated.  "Please just keep me informed!" I requested.  I did not want to have to keep calling.  My patience was wearing a little thin!  

Clementine or no clementine, the cake was rather a success.  In fact, although there were several variations on the recipe, the one for which I finally opted, was the one that apparently came from the film.  Having never seen the film, I cannot judge whether it is correct, or whether they show the whole process, or the final product, but the method and ingredients came under the heading "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Clementine Cake".  Apart from the lack of clementines, I followed it to the letter!  I would have claimed it as my own, perhaps, 'different orange cake' but that would not be entirely honest.  However, should anyone want to 'take a shot', there are alternatives!

I spoke to the mechanic on Tuesday.  He called and profusely apologised for the lack of communication, but explained, in great detail, what had happened.  He is prone to great detail!  When I dropped the car off, a few weeks ago, I was privvy to the domestic he and his wife had been experiencing over his own vehicle.  She had wanted him to sell, get a newer model.  I think he would have traded his wife in before his beloved motor!  At least that was the impression he gave; He was no doubt just letting off steam.  I do seem to be a vent for steam!

"In putting it back together, I noticed.....".  There it was.  Something else was wrong!  I was not surprised, as it appears that all the parts that were supposed to be replaced over the years, either were not, or doubtful alternatives were used!  I happen to believe the enthusiast as despite having said the work had been done, the car never seemed to drive any differently.  Apart from the original drive from San Antonio, many years ago, it has never really run up to par, after work was done.  I just assumed that age was the problem.  I was given a figure and as the final price was still far below the original quote,  "Just make her well, again!" I said.  "Oh, and let me know if you have any problems, please".  Promises were made, and the call ended.  

The cake was rather large, but it was eaten, all of it!  I was aware of a few 'adjustments' that would need to be made, should I go down the 'alternative' route again, but I do not think it will be soon!  Much as it was delicious, and different, I had looked in a couple of recipe books for something to do with the remaining oranges, and found a few desserts that should be made!  I am going to be busy!

"Your car is ready" I was told on Wednesday.  "I can't get a ride until the morning", I responded.  "Oh" said the man on the phone.  "She can't get it until the morning?" he said to whomever was within earshot.  "Not a problem.  Get it when you can", I heard from the enthusiast.  He was happy to let me get it when I could!

I was dropped off Thursday morning, and paid the bill, which again was less than I was quoted!  I got into the car, started her up, and headed back.  It was probably the best ride I had experienced since bringing it back from San Antonio.  I felt as if she was magnetised to the road, and had a 'kick' that felt like a young buck!  Or should that be Doe!  I was impressed!

We had our annual general meeting on Saturday morning, and thankfully it did not last too long.  Coffee and donuts were provided, and as usual, I drank too much!  Too much coffee that is.  I do not eat 'donuts', as they are not 'doughnuts' and do not enjoy the taste.  I went shopping afterwards, and then continued with my day.  

Glorious as the day looked on Sunday, the chill was in the air.  It dropped to freezing Saturday night, and I was not prepared.  The wind was high, and the skimmers were full.  

Monday is Presidents' Day, and I have not quite decided on what to do.  If emails are anything to go by, our note that we are closed has been totally ignored.  Perhaps I will start on my dessert list, Perhaps I will go for a long drive in my new car.  However, we may just decide to do something spectacular!  All will be revealed in ........... another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment