Search This Blog

Sunday, January 21, 2024

ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSE!

 It has been a while!  I noticed that I had written a post and not published.  It is highly possible that something was detected in the tone of my previous posts, (perhaps not,) but things were not quite as they should have been.  My husband, (my rock, my protector, my right hand,) had not been well.  Although he was better some days than others, and appeared to be quite okay some days and not others, he finally succumbed to something that caused him to be hospitalised the week before Christmas.  Despite various tests, the actual cause has still remained inconclusive, with perhaps one test still to come back, but whatever the something was, it caused him to almost 'shut down'.  Suffice it to say, all the problems the something had caused (perhaps this causing that, or that causing this, who knows) were treated and he is home, and raring to go!  Perhaps it will all remain a mystery forever!

My life, as you can imagine, was turned upside down, back again, and an hundred and eighty degree turn was made several times!  Of course, despite the drama that it was at the time, the comedy was a big part of the scenario.  Please do not judge me on what may seem frivolous, because I was commended on my attitude and cheery disposition.

Riding in the ambulance to the Emergency Room held a slight disappointment.  Perhaps it was not considered an 'emergency' ride, or perhaps, simply, there was no traffic, but the sirens that had blasted through our neighbourhood when the services were called, were not present during our journey.  It seems strange that this is what I recall from the trip!  Two neighbours had walked past as Dana sat in a chair, waiting the lift into the ambulance, and then another couple appeared, with my friend Cathleen appearing as she heard the commotion.  Upon the hug from Cathleen, I finally broke down, realising the severity of the situation.  Within minutes, my phone was buzzing with questions, and well wishing! 


Dana's daughter had come to our house, dialed 911 as I got together his personal items.  We sat together in the waiting room until we were called, and then waited for the initial tests.  She commented on what wonderful neighbours we had, and I had to agree.  All were asking what they could do to help.  Samantha and Grant arrived sometime later, and we all waited for him to be moved to a permanent room.  "Do you want to stay the night, or I can if you want to go home?" said Chara.  I was a little confused.  Stay?  Overnight in a hospital?  With an adult being the patient?  I remembered the struggle I had when Samantha had her wisdom teeth removed, being able to stay in the day room with her, let alone being able to 'stay over'.  Of course, things are different here.  Despite the affordable care act, this is not the National Health Service, and you are very much a 'paying guest'.   I said I would stay.  

This is Austin!  Suffice it to say (again) nothing is different in the hospital.  Austin remains Austin.  Samantha had packed me some clothes, and included my heating element to make tea, tea bags, instant coffee and a mug!  The first couple of nights, I was brought a cup of tea, but by the third, I had found the water fountain, and wandered around the corridor in my colourful Victoria's Secret pyjamas, (which reveal nothing,) my mug sporting a Union Jack, and my red tartan Christmas slippers.  "Good morning", I would chant as I encountered janitorial and day staff.  "Hey, love the PJ's" said one technician.  "I would love me a pair of them!"  I saw no need to correct the speech, as I was on her territory!

Samantha picked me up on the Wednesday afternoon, and I came home to replenish my clothes supply, take something out of the freezer for dinner, (I had found a microwave, on the first floor,) and then went into the office, which was being run very efficiently by Grant, Samantha, and Samantha's friend Cori, who had dropped everything to come in and help!  Many servers 'in the field' that we told about Dana, were offering to come to Austin to 'help out'.  I could not believe the level of assistance we were being offered and how kind people were!  Dana had been instrumental in setting up a few of their businesses and had sent them work in the early days, for which they have been forever grateful.  

As this was the week before Christmas, the 'official' details that needed to be sorted out, were difficult to negotiate.  Places were short staffed and also closing early for the holidays. Admittedly, it was not until the Friday that I really got the 'bit between my teeth' and took control!  I am great in an emergency if no one else is around, but if someone is there to take the burden from me, I tend to wilt into the background.  The first few days were focused on my husband's recovery, and despite my length of time in the country, I found I was walking blind down the road!  Chara had known what to do, and we filled out forms together, but once she left, to go home, I knew I had to do this on my own, and drew from a past life, achieving far more than I realised I was capable of doing!  Being passed from pillar to post, and back again, I persevered and before long most of the 'official' things were in place!


Coming to and from the hospital was an easy trip.  However, it was necessary to park in an off-site garage, and either walk or get a shuttle to the front door.  Samantha would pick me up in the morning, and take me back at night, and come and visit so we got to know the drivers quite well.  On the second night, as her and Chara left to go back to their vehicles, the driver asked, "Who is that woman waving at?"  Samantha explained that I was her mother, and after that, he hooted and waived each time he picked her up!  They all became quite protective of her for which I was grateful.  Edward had taken on the role of  'primary' parent, for bedtime and we were all adjusting to a new life!

Outside the room in the hospital was a 'playground', with a giant 'Connect 4', a few 'cornhole' games (bean bag throws), a couple of large 'Jenger' sets and tables and chairs surrounding them.  Each morning I would go outside and 'tidy up', and have a few shots with the bean bags.  I still had it!  I would take the opportunity to call Chara and give her an update.

Obviously, I did not wear my pyjamas into the office, and each day I would leave with a small suitcase (my carry-on bag) containing office work I had brought 'home', and some dirty clothes, always dressed in my office attire.  After shimmying down to make toast in the canteen toaster, and getting water for my coffee, I enjoyed a luxurious shower in our room, and got ready for work.  Our cleaning lady usually arrived before I left for work, and we exchanged pleasantries, in Spanish and English!  

The team of 'attending' doctors came round each morning.  Various medical terms were thrown around, and I asked for some explanation, understanding others.  I mentioned that I had worked for Social Workers many years ago, in surgical and medical in a hospital in England.  One of the doctors, who had previously, been a little jumpy suddenly got excited.  "You worked for the NHS!"  When I replied that indeed I did, he became my best friend, actually hugging me the day he left to take up a new position at a different hospital!  Another said his parents met in a place called 'Tottenham'.  I said that I was a life long supporter of said football (soccer) team and my dad lived near there as a child.  A rapport was developed with most of the staff.  I slept on a reclining chair, and helped if required, remaining in the background until asked, not wanting to interfere with protocol!

We spent Christmas day eating steak from a local restaurant, with Teddy in a high chair, and Dana sitting on 'my' bed, whilst I laid out on his!  Samantha and Edward found seating!  Teddy enjoyed sliding down the cornhole wedges after lunch and putting the 'Connect 4' pieces on a pole.  It was definitely 'alternative'!   When anyone said they were 'sorry' we had to spend the holidays in hospital, I replied that there would be other holidays!  We nearly didn't have this one!

I drove myself back to the hospital on the Friday after Christmas, clutching the garage 'pass' in my hand.  The bus driver greeted me warmly, wondering where my daughter was.  On Saturday morning, after breakfast, I made my way back home before heading to the office.  As I entered my house, I took stock of everything.  I could not quite believe it!  It looked as if the place had been ransacked, although I knew it had not.  I had not really taken much notice when I had entered previously, but the ambulance crew had been preceded by the firemen, who had come in, thrown everything out of the way to get a clear path, and of course no one had put it all back.  Samantha had made my bed, but there was linen and towels strewn across the floor, with other things scattered all across room and landing.  What did I have in the way?  I remember, vaguely, moving a bedspread and pillows, picking them up as a whole, and the fireman in charge found it quite amusing that I lifted the set.  I had put them in the bathroom. They were still there.  Downstairs had its own set of circumstances.  I had not realised quite how much I had accommodated Dana over the months with moved furniture to make it easier for him.  Not a lot of maneuvering but enough to notice!  I did not have a lot of time to clean up, but got upstairs straight!  While I was at work, I received a text from the president of our association.  He had made a large pot of chicken and dumplings, and wondered if I would like some.  He had also made a 'low sodium' pot, for Dana, in case he was on a saltless diet.  I was very touched.  Dinner was amazing!

New Year's Eve came and went, and we slept through it.  Talk of a rehabilitation facility was discussed, but they were not sure when. Physical and Occupational therapy visited daily.  I was back at work on Tuesday, having worked all weekend in the hospital.  Having 'one man down' always adds a bit of pressure, but having 'The man down' adds a whole new perspective!  However, we were managing quite well.  

The first week of the year was quite mild, and I worked each day until the early evening, before returning to Dana.  I would see Samantha 'off the premises', wave to the hooting driver, and go and heat up my dinner.  I would wave to the staff at the desk, and chat to staff on the way back to the room.  As there was a neo-natal section at the other end of our floor, I would often wish new father's congratulations, and became 'part of the furniture'.  I knew other patients' names, and all the night staff would enquire as to Dana's progress, often popping in to see how he was doing.

Each morning, I would call the kitchen and make a few adjustments to lunch and dinner.  "I bought some provolone cheese this weekend", said one of the ladies, when I asked for a sandwich for lunch.  "I saw it at the weekend, and thought of you.  I then thought I wonder what it is like with turkey, so I bought some special rye bread and will try it this weekend".  We were leaving our mark!

Cathleen collected me one evening, and took me to dinner.  We strolled along 38th Street, where they were displaying the 'alternative' Christmas lights.  An age old tradition, which apparently was shining for the final time.  It was a wonderful interlude, and one I needed.

Entering the third week, rehab was looming.  The facility nearer our house was not on the 'list' and although the choice was fairly broad, I chose one near Samantha, just in case I was unable to stay.  At least I could drive to her after visiting and drop in before work.  However, upon talking to the gentleman who visited Dana, a cot could be put in the room.  It took a couple of days to work out the details, but finally, on the Friday, he was moved.  

I had packed a suitcase with all my belongings.  The window in the hospital room that looked out into the 'playground' had three shelves.  The bottom shelf, next to the window, was very cool. so I put everything that would not fit into my mini fridge (ten inches high, eight deep and six wide - mini) along the bottom shelf.  My bed linen took up one corner, with spare towels. Other shelves had boxes containing snacks, condiments and oddments to make my stay more pleasant.  I would take a few slices of bread each morning to make toast for Dana and me, before his actual breakfast.  I left with bags and suitcases, and headed home.

Tossing everything out of one case after work, I headed for the rehab facility.  It was an easy ride, a straight road all the way, turn left and it was on the right hand side.  I arrived with dinner, and met the nurses.  They brought in a folding bed, and I slept quite well.  

My one slice toaster was an instant hit.  I made Dana breakfast, and was told I could help myself to a variety of things in the kitchenette. The fridge had juice, and sandwiches whilst the cupboard was full of cereals, soups and snacks.  The freezer had an endless supply of ice-cream which apparently could be requested 24/7!  The only thing that was not readily available, or on the premises at all, was salt!

Once again, I walked the hall in my pyjamas, getting coffee from the Keurig.  The cleaning lady at this facility would tell me I looked beautiful each day, as I left for the office, and the staff found my self-sufficiency amusing.  Dana was able to wear clothes, and the wardrobe was filled with our supplies.  My 'stock' cupboard was next to the bed, and we watched old English television series on the laptop. 

I would take off each morning, return in the evening, and bring dinner back with me which I would heat up after seeing Samantha 'off the premises'.  She longed for the day when she would walk out for the last time, and for Dana to 'ring the bell'.

Each morning, I had to drive.  I do not mean just get behind a wheel, but actually 'drive'.  The taxi driver came out of me again.  I bobbed and weaved and enjoyed myself!

Once again, we were 'guests',  Rehab was totally different to the hospital in many ways.  There were no 'rules' to speak of.  We were not woken at all hours to take 'vitals' (which interestingly enough had always been perfect) and to extract bodily fluids!  Every so often, we would hear over the public address system, "Please welcome guest....to room....".  When I spoke to the patient liaison manager (social worker) he talked of Dana's 'graduation'.  It was all very entertaining!  Everyone was most pleasant, and strangely enough, I was starting to enjoy the experience.

I had a private bathroom, lashings of hot water, a cleaning lady and as much cereal, soup and ice-cream as I could eat!  It was like an 'all inclusive' experience.  Perhaps not a five star hotel, but a reasonable establishment!

It was a far cry from anything I had ever experienced on every level.  The care was exceptional, both at the hospital and at rehab.  I must say that some nurses were more 'caring' than others, but there were only one or two that did not display a 'personal' touch.  Nothing was too much for anyone.  Everything we needed was brought within minutes, and I was every bit as welcome as the patient.  

Finally, my mini fridge, one slice toaster, clothes and 'stock' were packed away, and Dana was 'wheeled' out of his room to a somewhat depleted cheer and clapping, due to it being the weekend, but the public address announced, "Please say farewell to our guest in room ...." and just like that, we were gone!  The bell was rung, and a louder cheer and clapping was received from the reception staff, and those in the gym.

Arriving home, we unloaded the car.  Dana insisted we go out for dinner.  He felt like it would be a good test.  Samantha and Edward came over and we headed for the local diner.  It was a good place to start.  We got home, made a cup of tea, and then went upstairs to bed.  I slept in my own bed for the first time in a month, and woke up the next morning, feeling rather odd.  I had been away for a long time!

It took all day to clean the house and put away all the things I had found thrown in different places.  The temperature was very low, and we had a 'hard freeze' warning.  Monday was Martin Luther King Day and I did not venture into the office as the temperature had dipped to several degrees below freezing and precipitation was in the forecast.  I was not worried about getting to the office, but concerned about coming home.  I worked from home, real home!

The rest of last week was interesting.  Dana had already been micro-managing, wondering what had attacked him, and realising it had affected everything.  I brought home the accounts for him to reconcile, which he was happy about.   Mental agility is his forte! He was happy to be back in the saddle, or at least have one foot in the stirrups!  Being able to get to and from the office from home made a difference.  

Finally, I went shopping on Saturday.  We babysat on Saturday afternoon, and brought in food.  Things were back to normal, almost! 

The level of friendship, community, dedication and commitment, we received from family, friends, neighbours and colleagues, both in Austin and around the state, nay country, was amazing.  We were moved to tears on several occasions.  Even the postman called!  When I told the taco restaurant staff members that he was in hospital, they insisted on giving me our meal gratis with well wishing.

It has been an eventful month, one I would not want to repeat.  Thankfully all seems well.  Of course, follow up appointments will be necessarily and hopefully we will get 'closure'.  Apart from the obvious, I have learned a little bit about myself.  I did not realise quite how much I relied on my husband, and during this episode, I found me.  Despite this not being about me, I found me.  I am not talking about The Englishwoman Abroad, who makes friends, entertains with an accent, and who has worked with judges, law makers and other officials in the course of my work.  I am not talking about The Englishwoman Abroad who is on the board of her housing association, knows all her neighbours and is well known in the community.  I am talking about the me who could do anything, who could run a company, who could pay bills, who could balance books, who could cope with the world.  Much as I do not want to be that person, permanently, as I enjoy being looked after.  I can do it!  It felt good for a season!

All that is left to say on this subject is Happy New Year, and a healthy one to all.  Surprisingly enough I do have some more to write, and not on this subject at all.  It is quite simply a new, and ............ another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment