Search This Blog

Sunday, December 3, 2023

IT'S IN THE POST!

The phrase, "The cheque (check) is in the post" is somewhat outdated, but the excuse is still the same.  There were always three possible reasons (in my opinion) why the phrase was used.  Firstly, because the payment was late, and the envelope had not been posted, due to an oversight.  Secondly, because the payment was late, and it gave you a couple of days grace to write the cheque (check) and put it in the post.  The third, which was probably the least likely, was that the envelope really was out there, hanging somewhere.  It was lost, or just mislaid.  Nowadays, this excuse is rarely an option.  "I can take a credit card" or "You can pay online".  Of course, instead of  saying, "It is in the post", the excuse would be, "I got it set up, but didn't press send!".  The reason for this paragraph is quite simple.  Last week's 'post' was 'in the post'.  I simply forgot to press the 'publish' button!  

My excuse is not unique!  However, despite all good intentions, after dishing up the last of the turkey on Sunday night, I simply flopped!  It had been a very busy weekend and I was not functioning on all cylinders by the time I would normally 'edit and publish'.  Suffice it to say, I have a two week plot ahead!

Not quite cold, but not quite hot.  The week leading to Thanksgiving is always an enigma.  Will we walk after dinner?  Will we sit by the pool for a while?  Will we stay inside and enjoy the coziness of the warm indoors?  It is always a mystery.

"Perhaps it will slow down?" we all said, with a modicum of sarcasm, as nothing appears to stop the train hurtling in our direction carrying a collection of legal documents, never the likes seen, and keeping us busy.  We all had hopes that, at least by Wednesday, some people would have gone on vacation!  However, the Internet does not allow for vacation!  Or should I say, does not stop or vacation.  Everyone, unless they decide to go 'off grid' is contactable, and available.  It seems there is no end to work, and if you are willing to work, someone, somewhere, will make sure that you do not stop!

With 'Bertie' in the fridge, my freezer defrosted and repacked, and all my ingredients lined up ready to be mixed and matched into a variety of foil dishes, which would eventually make up the feast that we were hoping to enjoy, I sat back on Sunday afternoon, and wondered, "Will it? Wont it?"  


Monday was frantic.  "This must be done...", is always one of the most frequent phrases before any major holiday.  "They will be visiting family in such and such an area".  Actually, the people to whom the papers are addressed decided, admittedly at the last minute, to go and join those 'off grid'' somewhere in a remote part of the world, and would not be back for another week!  "They are kids, they will be going to their parents' for Thanksgiving.  It's obvious!"  Actually, despite being someone's kid, their parents are nonagenarians,  live in an 'assisted living' facility, and have no intention of hosting a tea party, let alone Thanksgiving dinner!  "They will definitely be at home!" No, they wont!  Of course, after the initial attempt, and a very well astute and knowledgeable neighbour states: "No!  They left at the weekend.  Gone somewhere very remote apparently.  Want a very quiet Thanksgiving"!  Or, "They went out of state.  Thanksgiving with the Grandkids!" Or, "No!  They are never at home for Thanksgiving!"  The client is always most confused, bemused and amazed!  "But we were told....  Are you sure?"  It is always, always the same, and you have probably seen me write it several times!

Monday was frantic.  Everything had to be done before 'light's out' on Wednesday afternoon, which for some was getting earlier and earlier.  In fact, one of our regular 'drop off' places, were reducing their Wednesday hours by the minute!  Each time one of our servers went to drop off papers, they were told, "We are now closing half an hour before the last time we gave you!"  There were those that were going to work until the eleventh hour, and those that were not!  This is nothing new!

A frantic Monday led into an even more overwrought!  "Remember the guy who we said was going to be in town over the holidays?  Well our client has just heard that he is going to be up a mountain in the Himalayas.  We are not sure which one, but if we get you a picture, do you think you could have someone stake out Everest and see if you can catch him either on the way up, or down?"  A slight exaggeration, but you get the drift, I am sure!  Nothing can be an impossibility!  

"The house is in darkness and there is no sign of life".  Are we sure? Perhaps someone was hiding.  Lots of people are saving on energy, so maybe they were grilling on a fire pit out back!  "The house was knocked down, and is a building site, with a sign to say 'do not enter without a hardhat'.  Really? They are a bit sneaky.  Lots of people have been looking for them.  Perhaps they are hiding under a brick?  To say that those who really, really need a deadline met, are desperate is an understatement.  Logic flies out of the window, and complete pandemonium sets in.  Of course, I speak not of the majority of those with whom we are contracted, but the same few who only use us at certain times of year, when their usual people have gone off grid, or on vacation, or visiting family!

Wednesday afternoon saw no respite.  In fact, up until 'quitting time'  There were a few other firms, like us, who just don't shut their doors until the bell rings at five, or is it six, or is it seven!  It just kept going, and emails kept on coming in.  

Thankfully, I had prepared as much as I could on Wednesday morning, and 'Bertie XX' was placed in the bath concoction and replaced in the cold.  I would not have my sous-chef in the kitchen this year.  (Or is that, I would not be the sous-chef in the kitchen this year.)  

It was an earlier start than anticipated on Thursday morning, but I was glad I decided not to wait.  After the initial round of preparation, I went for a nice long walk, and returned to make breakfast.  Unfortunately, by the time I had finished 'just' doing various bits and pieces, breakfast was not an option.  However, I received a call from my eldest grandson around eleven thirty and took the time to sit and chat for half an hour.  It was a lovely break.  Jamie joined us and we all talked about our day, and Thanksgiving, and the fact I was not in the office today as it is a national holiday.  Then it was back to the kitchen before the other family arrived.  The kids that were going to the parents for dinner!  Together with the dogs, and baby, Matnee and Edward arrived just in time for me to take Bertie XX out of the oven. He was very tasty!  All the trimmings were served and the feast was devoured.  

"We were thinking of going out at 5 in the morning" said my daughter, with a wry grin.  I was going to suggest they leave the baby overnight, but had not said anything.  She had thought ahead and brought his things just in case!  He went down at seven, chatted for a while to himself, and I heard not a peep until 8:30 am on Friday.  He was very happy to see me and drank a full bottle.  He then enjoyed some breakfast, whilst I cleaned my oven and told him that the 'modern man' would help with this task.  He was not overly impressed!  

Samantha and I went to Ikea, but came out with nothing.  We stopped at a couple of places on the way back, but the sales were really quite sparse.  Thankfully, I did not have a shopping list.  Dana and I frequented our usual Friday night haunt, and came home and watched UT soundly beat their rivals in the college football game.


Moaning-mother-in-law Saturday started early, and we headed out to the 'dress for less' shops.  I had a couple of things I wanted to get, not bargains, or sale items, but just 'bits' that I knew they stocked but which I had been unable to get due to time restrictions!  We were out for quite sometime and when I returned, I was shattered.  It had been a long day and the temperatures were not conducive with being outside!

A brisk, windy Sunday morning ended my holiday weekend.  I was very thankful for a few days off, and really thankful for a thriving business.  It has been tough, but with so many finding it difficult to make ends meet, I should not be complaining.  Thankfully, we are in need of nothing and our wants are few.  The freezer if full of turkey and left overs, and I am determined to use them in the coming weeks, in one way or another.  I have that to be thankful for too!

The Thanksgiving weekend over, the work week began with our feet hitting the ground running!  I was amazed at how many people were still insisting their original statements were authentic, with various modifications.  "They didn't make it for Thanksgiving, so they are going this week".  There is a recently added new term given to the 'after Thanksgiving weekend".  It is the 'divorced weekend'.  I heard from a couple of people, this week, that the 'alternative' Thanksgiving dinner would be held the weekend after!  It is a sign of the times, I suppose.  My sister used to spend Christmas with my parents on even numbered years, and with her in-laws on odd numbered years. (Or vice versa, but you get the gist.)  It is the same system.  Suffice it to say, it appears those who were 'meant' to be in town last week, were now expected this week.  Or were they?

Whatever the excuse for the people not being there, we were meant to 'try again', which of course, we did!

The week was again frantic.  Friday was my youngest grandson's birthday, and my daughter insisted that I join them for the ''lighting of the lake' in her home town on Friday night.  It would not be a late night (famous last words) as she wanted him to have an early night, as it was his party on Saturday.  I left work at four thirty, hurtled across town to get to her by five, then sat and waited for them to get ready!  As it happens, the 'six o'clock' turn on time, was seven, and then we made the obligatory walk around the lake, which took the best part of an hour.  Thankfully, the lights went on a little before seven so our walk started early.  My problem was that I had to get back to pick up dinner, and Dana, who stayed at work.  I marched around the lake, pushing the baby, whilst everyone in front of me stopped for photo opportunities and various other reasons.  

As we reached the end of the loop, Samantha spotted one of her friends, with their baby.  "We can't come to the party.  'Divorced parent weekend'!" she said!  They were so excited to see the little on on his birthday, and made a big fuss.  He enjoys a big fuss!  The long hair that he has been sporting since the 'mohawk' outgrew itself, was finally cut off and he now looked like a little boy!  Samantha's 'new-mom' friends talk about him in stages of his hair!  

I made it back to our taco joint with ten minutes to spare.  As I walked in, I was greeted with a cheer from behind the counter.  It was heartwarming and at the same time a little embarrassing to know that you are expected every week!

Saturday morning started early, with a walk, after putting some rice in the cooker.  When I got back, I made some rissoles in the wok, (brilliant idea, they cooked in no time at all,) mixed the rice with corn and mayonnaise, and put them with the mince pies!  Samantha had provided the 'mincemeat' which was not the English variety and Grant had announced his disappointment at their not tasting like Christmas.  I asked if they were bad.  He simply said, "They are not right".  I asked, "What if you didn't know what they were meant to taste like?"  He said they were okay!  I found it amusing that he knew what they were meant to taste like!

After a quick shop, I went to Samantha's and prepared some quiches, salmon pinwheels and sandwiches.  The party started at four, so I headed home, collected Dana and we went back.  It was in full swing when we got there, and the guest of honour was on his best behaviour.  With all his little friends around him, he was a happy camper!  

Another Sunday, and I just wanted to do nothing.  Of course, that didn't happen, but I did manage to get an hour by the pool, just to sit and snore!  The wind was quite high, and the sun disappeared off the area a while before three, so I made the most of the hour!  

Hopefully, the button will click this week.  How can I forget twice?  No one will know, unless I do manage to push the 'publish' button, or I will have a triple episode in ............. another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment