Search This Blog

Monday, July 17, 2023

FOREIGN POLICY!

I sat alone for some of my Sunday, and then Dana arrived, thinking that Samantha and the baby may join us, but that was not a definite plan.  Others certainly did, and although it was not by any means overcrowded, there were more than the regular one, possibly two.  Our 'chairman of the board' joined us, and chatted for a while on a whole manner of subjects, including the formula we had been given to find out the maximum capacity for the 'rules'.  The number that was given seemed to be rather excessive,  "How many do you think we should put?" he said.  "Ten", I replied.  We tried to work out what would be a reasonable number and then decided that the formula should perhaps dictate, just in case there should be a random 'inspection'.  Once again, the smile was caught on my husband's lips, as his English wife was being asked about matters that nearly two decades ago she would have perhaps shied away, and three decades ago would have had no idea that Austin existed, let alone it being the capital of Texas.  Yes!  I was far more geographically challenged back then!

"You called the facility?" came the question.  "Of course", I said, as I noticed the same smile cross my husband's lips.  One of our clients had papers to serve on individuals who were 'inmates' supposedly incarcerated at the same location.  For some reason, the likelihood of the client getting the unit correct falls in the one percent category. I am not sure how the justice system works when placing an inmate, but perhaps they are transferred after the initial placement.  The fact that I know where to look, always makes me smile, despite it being public knowledge, and now that we have the mighty Internet, it is much easier to access.  I called the unit where the webpage said the prisoner was housed, and spoke to a very nice officer who, once I had given the offenders number (which I had) and name, confirmed that he was at their place! I confirmed the address, and sent my certified mail accordingly.  It is all part of our job.  


I cannot being to count the number of times I was asked my age this week.  Call after call after call.  I would hazard a guess that the amount of spam calls were four to one legitimate call.  Apparently, I qualified for a state reduced funeral package, which doesn't make much sense in itself, but just to check that I was actually allowed to take part in this (somewhat morbid) programme, I had to confirm my age.  "May I know how old are you?"  My replied varied from, "You never ask a lady her age!" (assuming of course they knew me not, and therefore could not dispute my being ladylike!) to "Nope", or "You can ask...".  I am not sure how the scam plays out, as I have never taken it to the next level.  I did once answer "12", and the phone went dead very quickly.  I do not think they have packages for telephonic lines!  Another question was, (which if we were playing 'Family Fortunes' would have been placed as the number two all time response to,) "Are you suffering from diabetes?"  To this I replied, "Are you?"  The callers have managed to, somehow, hijack or linejack some of our clients' numbers, and a familiar name will appear on the caller 'ID' when the phone rings.  Sometimes the 'click' before the caller talks is heard when a client calls or a clerk from a courthouse calls, so I can never just hang up.  However, unless my curiosity is just too overwhelming, I do not entertain the caller, and hang up.  Some get angry with me for wasting their time, when I tell them they have called a business rather than an individual. I do not bother to tell them that we are even!  The fact of the matter is that I was somewhat plagued this week, and pondered about the days when this was non-existent!

Once again, we were under a 'heat advisory' warning.  I think it was 2011 when we experienced three months of triple digits, and it was quite tough.  It is not the first time, and much as the media is broadcasting this, we are Texas, and this is not our first rodeo!  I am English, and I feel the heat and acknowledge the air quality being poor, but we have been through this many times. To many Texans it is a way of life! Indeed, my daughter has fried an egg on her dashboard, before now, because that is what Texans do. (Sometimes!)  Admittedly, I am not a scientist, much less a meteorologist, but I have lived through some pretty hot summers here!

I had forgotten about the contest for the English band, Tears for Fears.  Their farewell tour travels, amongst other places no doubt, to Austin, and I had, of course, entered for the prize.  I had forgotten to tell my posse about it, as if either of them won, they would have to take me along as their 'plus one'.  I heard Grant on his cell phone and he was thanking someone profusely.  I thought it was his air conditioning man who had fixed his home system.  He came to the front office and told me that we had won the contest.  Immediately, I went into my husband and asked if he minded me going on a date with our 'surrogate son'.  "What do you think about taking this babe out", said my husband, as I cringed at the sentence.  My father used to use the phrase, 'dolly bird', and that also made me cringe, but I knew it was a term of endearment. It is not the connotation, simply the words.  Someone from the other room mentioned that it would be like going out with his mother!  I was not offended at all.  In fact, I rebutted with, "It's worse.  Someone will say, 'Did you have to bring your mum?' and he will say, 'No, even worse, it's another old woman I have to drag along!"  Grant assured me that I am not like most 'old' women!  He also said I was not like most 'mothers', but I reminded him that he only has one mum and we are, actually, all alike!  Joking aside, he was happy to drag this old lady along with him to the concert!

The weekend came around and once again, the heat sizzled.  I took my umbrella everywhere.  The pool was not filled to capacity, not even a tenth of what they reckon we can have as a maximum, but there were a few neighbours gathered.  Someone left the chairs in the wrong place, and when our beloved chairman came down later in the day, he asked me if I knew who had committed such a heinous crime. Tongue in cheek, he promised to dish out the punishment if ever he found out!  

Dana and I enjoyed a lovely afternoon together, and then went out for dinner.  I dressed in a new dress, or at least a never before worn dress that I had purchased a while back, as it was too much of a bargain and too lovely to leave on the rack!  Another lady arrived at the restaurant in the most beautiful yellow dress, also slightly retro, and a hat.  Before I left, I went up to her and told her how lovely she looked. She complimented me on my elegance, and we thanked each other, whilst our partners appeared to look on with pride.  

Rain was in the forecast, but the promise was a small percentage.  The wind has picked up a little, so there is a light breeze, but as it is so hot, so is the wind.  Respite will have to wait!  I am not sure, as per usual, what the rest of my day will bring, but I am very excited about being taken out to the concert next week.  I do not know where I am going to be sitting, or how good the band will be, but there is no reason to think they will be anything but excellent. I shall let you know in ............. another story!



No comments:

Post a Comment