Search This Blog

Sunday, May 6, 2018

SHIFTING GEARS!

Returning from Buffalo was harder than I had imagined.  A weekend break is normally enough to recharge my batteries, no matter how short the break, and no matter how much energy I exerted on the trip.  However, although I rose with ease, as I was an hour 'in hand', I started to wain once I got into work.  

"I am jet lagged", was my excuse.  "But you only went to New York.  It is an hour's difference!"  I stuck to my excuse.  "I still went on a jet, and there was a time difference", I continued, somewhat tongue in cheek.  "But you only went to New York", came the same response.  "Only! Only!  I am an international traveler!  I traveled internationally this weekend.  I used my passport!"  Somehow, it all fell on deaf ears.  Remembering the days when we used to cross the channel into France, and not think it was really going 'abroad', came flooding back.  

Arriving back in Austin, I embraced the warmth.  Upstate New York is, of course, a different arena to New York City.  It is the same the world over.  A major city has a different feeling to a more rural area. (I mean no disrespect calling Buffalo, rural)  Most Capital cities in the USA, (not all, and I am not a geographical genius) are not the major cities.  Austin, being the capital of Texas, was a lot smaller when I moved here, and Houston (and Dallas, I believe) were far more populated.  My city has grown not only in population, but has expanded its boundaries.  Whereas my condo, at one time, was in North Austin, it is now considered 'Central'.  The temperament in Buffalo (not being a Capital city) was not dissimilar to that in Austin, or at least in my part of Austin.  

Unpacking my suitcase was the last task before heading out to work.  Most of the clothes I packed were put away, clean, as I did not wear them.  I thought I had traveled light, but I really never do. 

Work was relentless.  We had a steady flow of papers arriving, and the emails from last week were still in the Inbox, which were accumulating, as dust accumulate in hidden corners. It was difficult not to get overwhelmed, especially with the 'jet lag'.  "Welcome back", said one email, as if I had been on an extended vacation. Two days and a weekend seemed like a lifetime ago, and certainly did not seem like they warranted any king of welcoming back, but perhaps this person understood the strain of being an international traveler, and I welcomed the sentiment!  I was going to have to snap out of the doldrums and spring back into action if I was to get ahead of the game.

A game, indeed, it was, and one in which I did not have the advantage.  I was the 'underdog'.   However, one of my life's rules has been to 'support the underdog', and this time the challenge was to support myself.  The 'stiff upper lip' of the Englishwoman was going to have to prevail.  

"You what now?" I was asked by a Sheriff whom I called during the morning.  I wondered if this was part of the training.  With no disrespect meant to our law enforcement, I wondered if this was a phrase that was in the training manual, to perfect.  Each time I call, I am answered with the same.  Obviously, I am not understood, and that comes with the territory, but hearing my mother's voice in my head, it is very difficult not to correct them with the words, "Do you mean 'pardon'?"  "You what now?" is somewhat of an improvement on "Huh?", so I deal with it the best I can.  

"Good morning, Miss Tracie", came the familiar voice from the clerk at the courthouse in a much larger city than mine.  Always putting a smile upon my face, this particular clerk makes up for all the 'You what now?'s', 'Huh's', and 'Ma'am, I can't understand you's'.  

The day continued, and at six thirty, I decided enough was enough. I could not understand why, other than attitude, the day had  taken such a toll!  "Talking of tolls", I broke out, 'like a scabby head', as my grandfather used to say, "I think we went on a few", I told Dana as we were having dinner.  "When you were traveling internationally?", he asked, responding to my tongue-in-cheek with the same.  "No, we were still Stateside", I said, flippantly, and so it continued.

I felt a little more back to normal on Tuesday.  Perhaps it was because I had overcome the illusion, or perhaps it was because I was making 'French Macrons', and the procedure calls for 'banging the pans on the worktop' to release the air bubbles.   I am not sure what it did for the air bubbles, and I did not slap the pans on my counter top.  Instead, I used the floor.  "Whack", went the first pan, on all four sides.  It was very therapeutic.  Again, I am still not sure what this does to the air bubbles, but after following the recipe, it certainly gets rid of any frustration due to the delicacy that is needed!  After the little meringues were cooked, and placed on the baking tray, to cool, I headed out for another day at the office.

Quite determined to make good on the previous day, I was very focused.  I was somewhat disappointed that I felt I was in my usual routine.  For the first time, I embraced the fact that this was the norm for me now.  Every so often I have a 'paradigm shift' and come to terms with my 'not so' new life.  Normality is living in Austin, Texas, and not in England.  It was one of those shift days, and it was a little discouraging.  Had I lost the sense of adventure?  Would nothing be new and exciting anymore?  Was this the first day of the rest of my life?  Of course not.  Although focused, there is still time for the daily contests, and the expectation of meeting an up and coming 'superstar', if not already of stardom status! It is not the mere opportunity that keeps the excitement alive, but more the percentage of 'chance'.  

Clearing the 'inbox' was my priority, and it was achieved.  It was a warm day,  but not yet warm enough, in my opinion, to head to the pool, despite it being the first day of May.  The walk, however, was challenging, as the heat was starting to become 'hot'.  The dog was delighted, as he leapt along, in leaps and bounds.  

I chose to drive to Joe on Wednesday morning, despite having a small pile of 'unfinished business' on my desk, and was glad I did so.  Gail was there, and the rest of the staff were rather 'impressed' with my offering of 'French macrons'.  It was affirmation!  Despite my daughter taunting me that hers are superior, the look of delight as they ate was enough to know success had been achieved.  Perhaps it really was the 'whacking' of the pans on the floor!

I took a sample of my wares into a neighbouring office, mainly as a peace offering, although not on the same level as the car-park wars.  "I am sorry", I started, and continued, a Jenny, my newest neighbor looked confused.  "I can't remember your name!"  It was an admission I did not take lightly, as I pride myself on my memory, and names are usually the last thing that escapes me.  She was very gracious.  "Wow, what a cool idea!", she said, giving me credit for a simple, but obviously effective resolution to one of her problems.  It appears that her office, like ours, does not have its own temperature gauge for the air conditioning, and although the neighbour with whom she shares, had said to come into her office at any time, and tinker with the controls, they had both written to 
management to ask for individual thermostates.  Instead of obliging with what was asked for, they provided one box outside both rooms.  The problem is that the box can only be opened by a maintenance man, and if they want the temperature altered, they have to call.  Why they were both not provided with keys to the box is a mystery, but management apparently considered them to be in conflict rather than in unison!  However, I digress.  I told her that I put a piece of card over my air vent, causing the air to continue to come into the room, but not on to me!  That recommendation, along with the 'French macrons', promoted me to level of genius!  I felt as if I had regained some of my super powers!

Later in the day, Dana told me that one of our clients was really traveling internationally, and was taking off the following day to spend a week in London.  Did I have any tips?  Did I!  What a silly question.  The email started with a few suggestions but grew into what could only be described as a yearning for my homeland, and a pride that could not be coupled!  "If a man is tired of London, he is tired of life!" I quoted, with such honour and esteem, it is a wonder I ever left!  My brief recommendations turned into a full itinerary that would take a couple of months to complete!  When away from Austin, I tell everyone of the wonderful opportunities, and how there is always something to do.  However, the modern cannot compare to the history that my homeland, and indeed capital city, holds.  I was rewarded with a gracious and most emphatic "Thank you!"

As beautiful as May had started, Friday saw the exception to the rule.  We headed to the office, and the skies started to darken.  By ten in the morning, it looked like ten in the evening, and the darkness was somewhat unnerving.  Clouds rolled in and there was not a bit of blue to be seen, let alone enough to  make a pair of trousers for a sailor (as the old addage says).  Rain was heading our way, and it was not going to be pretty!  I sent my son a message asking how he was, and told him all that was in store.  "Texas sized storm.  'Turn around, don't drown' warnings.  Stay indoors if possible.  Tornadoes maybe, and lots and lots of rain.  Welcome to Texas, y'all".  He replied.  "Take it in your stride now.  Fourteen years ago, it would have scared you!"  He was right.  Paradigm shift in play, yet again.  Although a tad concerning, it was not going to last, and it was, as they say here, what it was!  "It is what it is", said someone, as they entered the building, and comments were made about him being 'wet'.  Wet was somewhat of an understatement, as the puddles he created, just from standing still, were enormous.  The rain lasted all day, and the dog did not want to go for 'walkies'.  As enthusiastic as he was to come, Samantha stepped him outside for a couple of seconds, and he 'turned tail' and ran back in!

"Where is that beautiful accent from?" I was asked, after being given a demonstration in Costco, for a coffee machine. I replied, "Northwest London!"  Pride beamed.  Last week someone asked if I was Canadian.  That was a first!  "Don't ever lose that accent, honey!", she said, and I assured her that I would not!  A man approached and said something about foreigners and then stated something that I did not quite hear.  "And there is something new in the air, and it stinks!", he continued.  I responded, "It certainly does!  I walked away a little dumbfounded.  "What was that all about?" asked my daughter.  I was unsure.  In my opinion, it could have meant one of four things.  Firstly, that he was a xenophobe, secondly, a racist, thirdly for the current administration, and fourthly, against the current administration.  Whatever his standing, my answer would suffice for all!  A very strange encounter indeed!  However, I was not moved or concerned.

I swam in the afternoon.  Not a lengthy swim, but enough to get 'back in the saddle' to use a contradiction in terms.  I sat and I read my book, attempting to remember what it was all about, as I had not really picked it up since last season, and I remembered why I was reminded that some things will never seem 'the norm'.  The pool was a little cool, but nothing compared to 'Kingsbury Swimming baths' in the sixties, and the temperature outside was warm enough to dry me quickly!  Again, nothing compared to 'Kingsbury Swimming baths' in the sixties!

Dana and I went out for dinner, to an old haunt.  Texas Land and Cattle have been 'taken over', and are no longer what we remember.  We did not stay.  The girl who waited on us was not happy, but then she was not happy when we arrived, so our departure was probably not what caused her misery. The usually very busy restaurant was not very full, at a time when we had expected to wait.  It was rather sad.  Was Austin changing?  The Outback proved that it was not the case.  Busy, joyful wait staff, and a general "Welcome to Texas, y'all" attitude was felt.  

To have so much turmoil in a 'run of the mill' week, made me wonder how effective was the paradigm shift.  Did it exist at all?  Happiness, at least to me, really is a state of mind, and I am happy.  Would I be happier if I were to be able to pick up London, with all my family and friends, and place it neatly in the space between here and Samantha's house?  Heck yeah!  Is it going to happen?  Heck no!  However, one can dream!  Instead, I shall continue to embrace my paradigm shift and hope I emerge safely, a fact of which I have no doubt!  Here is to another week in Austin, another week of being a Londoner, and another week of being that Englishwoman abroad, and another week means ............ another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment