Search This Blog

Sunday, September 3, 2017

THE ANIMALS WENT IN TWO BY TWO!

After having spent a very enjoyable evening with my dear, long time friends (at last a phrase to replace 'old') David and Judy, who had also invited another, even longer time friend, Sally with her husband Mike, (our friendship, in comparison, is in its infancy, but long may it last,) I drove home past midnight, with a 'loudspeaker' connection to Dana. After I had put down the phone, I received a call from Samantha who was about to disown her mother for staying out so late!  She advised me that due to the catastrophic hurricane, Harvey, which had hit the east coast of Texas and devastated the greater Houston area, and surrounds, as well as several areas around our counties, the airport was not operational. I had seen the desperate images of the floods on television over the past few days, together with those of  the courageous heroes who helped rescue many.  I decided to wait until morning to do any research.

I woke before my mother's 6:50 am alarm, and opened the laptop, injecting the 'dongle' into its side, so as to give me Internet access.  Eventually, the signal caught whatever it is it catches and the blue light showed that I was ready to surf! 

It is never pleasant thing to see the word 'Cancelled' on the screen, next to your flight details.  I was not quite sure what to do next and did not consider there would be an option before 'check in' time. I was surprisingly calm.  However, my mother was not!  "What time do you think you can call?  Do you have a number?  What will you do.....?" and so on and so forth.  The kettle had boiled but before making the preferred morning beverages, I checked to see if I had a number for customer service in the UK.  I found a number, and then went to my reservations, to check my confirmation code.  Relief, then further panic, hit me all in a couple of seconds.  I had been put on another flight, flying through Chicago.  However, the plane was a different 'model', and there were seats facing both ways! I tried to save a seat but it would not keep my selection, so I quickly found a number and called. After the salutations from the lady on the other end of the line, I explained my predicament.  As she was trying to fulfill my special request, e.g., window seat, left side, facing forward, for which she achieved one out of three, I asked how things were there.  "Oh I am in South Dakota so I am okay.  We do have four hours of mandatory overtime today.  I only have two hours left. Yay me!". I was most appreciative to at least have a forward facing seat!

It had not realised quite how internally concerned I had been, but as I told my mum the outcome, I became very jittery and giggly.  I should have known that a replacement flight would have been arranged, but could not think straight! 

The rest of the day, until check-in time, was very pleasant.  I had packed, and repacked, so as to make the cases of even(ish) weight, and had a leisurely breakfast.  Steph called to say that she and Richard were taking the boys to her grandma's as they have a pool and the weather was very hot.  I agreed to meet then there, and set off around one.

The weather was hot, and the surroundings were perfect.  The water was slightly colder than ice!  Her grandma had met me on her way out to lunch and told me that it would be a lovely day for swim and had I brought my 'gear'.  I replied in the positive and bid her farewell. 

"Catch him as he jumps off the board. We do it all the time", was the instruction from the side!  Ollie jumped off the diving board, into my arms, and we both went under.  I lifted him up so he would be above the water, but could not get my head up, as he was pushing me down.  Eventually, I reached the surface, and swam to the side.  Although only about four feet, it seemed like a mile!  Ollie had his arms around my neck and was struggling to get to his dad.  I was exhausted by the time I reached the edge and lifted my grandson to dry land.  I should not have worried about the long term negative affect it would have on him as after he told his parents that the water was very cold, (an understatement,) he looked at me and said, "again!", to which I replied, "Ask daddy!"

The rest of the afternoon was lovely.  I must have seemed most ungrateful, not accepting everyone's help to get me checked in, but my level of paranoia was beyond normal and I needed to get the seat problem settled.  Amazingly enough, when I opened the 'app' on my phone, (which I am loathed to do unless in an emergency,) my original preference had been saved.  Although to the right of the plane, I was facing forward.  Eureka!  Or near enough!

Bidding farewell was not easy.  Ollie was rather tearful, which made my leaving so much more sad. I promised I would see him soon when he came to my house, and this seemed to appease the little chap.  Jamie just smiled with a big grin when I said cheerio.  After tight hugs, I got in my car and drove, through tears, back to mum.

As my flight was an hour later than originally planned, I left my mother's a little later,  Traffic was horrendous but I got to the car hire place in plenty of time, and then to the airport.  The lady at the check in desk was most concerned about the perils that Houston had been going through and we chatted for a while, which was very nice, but not usual.  There were no other passengers at the security check point, and I was in the lounge in record time!  Samantha 'face timed' me as she drove to work (hands free of course) and before long I was settled in my seat for the first leg of my flight.

Although the lines are usually much longer when negotiating immigration at Houston, familiarity is much preferred.  O'Hare would not be my choice if given one!  I did not get a 'Welcome Hone, ma'am', but a surly guard who was not satisfied that I had nothing to declare.  It was when I told him that I had several balls of 'yarn' that I was bringing back, he finally gave up.  The customs official was quite satisfied that my wares were not contraband!  I handed my bags back to the handlers and tried to find my way to my next point!

The trains were not particularly well marked and I nearly got on the wrong one.  "Where in Texas..... Tracie", asked the guard at the next check point.  I told him Austin, and he asked how the city had fared in the storm.  He seemed relieved that it was not damaged, and we commiserated over the tragedy that had hit Houston.  The line behind me grew, but it mattered not.

"No!  This is the only lounge on this terminal! Give me your boarding pass!". I was rather astounded at the lady at the desk, as I asked if there was another lounge in the C Concourse, and how long would it take to walk from here to my gate.  I dutifully handed her my pass.  She snatched it and then looked at me with a big smile and almost sang, "Oh, you are a Polaris customer".  Apparently that is what I had been graded having been upgraded!  I am not sure how shocked I looked but if it was as much as I felt, my face must have shown horror!  "Ha ha", she attempted a giggle, "There is a Polaris lounge on the C Concourse. But we would love to have you here".  I almost said, "You would?  You must be joking!", but instead told her that I would try the new lounge instead.

Plush lounges I have seen.  After all, I had the opportunity to go into the Emirates at London Gatwick airport and never wanted to leave, but the new Polaris lounge was second to none!  Despite, once again, having eaten everything not only on the menu, but almost everything on the plane, I could not resist some of the culinary delights on offer!  Half an hour was not enough time! 

Dana arrived at the terminal as I was descending on the escalator.  He ran to the stairs going up, and jumped on the moving steps.  I called him and he turned, ran down, and managed to catch his heal on one of the sharp metal edges.  Instead of our usual embrace, I watched him hobble over to a chair and helped him to sit down.  With blood pouring from his foot, rather than a hug, I gave him a tissue and went about finding more to stop the flow!  My bags were retrieved by a fellow passenger, and we drove home, where I dug out my meagre first aid kit before we had even said 'hello'.  He rejected my offer to suture the wound, but at least found it amusing. However, I was home, and safe, which was more than many people in the Houston area could say.

The rest of the week was quite a blur.  Jason, in our office, had handed in his notice and was due to leave on Friday, but Dana told him on Thursday that he could have an extra day!

Houston is still very much a disaster area, in a tragedy that has been announced, unprecedented.  Our hearts and prayers go out to all those in and around the area.  Thankfully, I heard from the son of the couple with whom we went to the Indian restaurant on my first Sunday in England, and they were relatively unscathed.  It was a frightening time for all, and I was concerned as it had been heading our way.  However, we were spared.  I hope and pray all will settle down before I sit down to write .... another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment