Search This Blog

Sunday, October 4, 2026

A DAY AT THE PARK!

The summer has come to an abrupt end.  I have not posted in some months because, summer just doesn't seem to allow for it.  Time seems to disappear quicker in the summer.  I start a post, but don't get to finish.  Perhaps it's a routine problem. Perhaps the summer has been so, so uneventful.  

After the 'World Cup' which continued long after the games were over, with an autopsy that still hasn't quite been completed, we appeared to be waiting for the college season to start, so that we could discuss a 'different' football!

I continued to enter contests, and my daughter accompanied me to see Toto, at the Circuit of the Americas.  It was a wonderful evening, starting out with 'The Romantics', followed by Christopher Cross.  It was a packed arena, and as they completed 'Hold the line', we packed up our belongings and waited for the finale.  Instead of leaving the stage, and the audience calling them back, they stayed on stage and invited their co-performers to join them.  'Africa' was what I had gone to hear, and listening to the band play live, whilst out in the open air, with a coolish breeze taking the heat from the blistering temperature, was perfect.  As the performers came to the last chord of the last chorus, my daughter and I had made our way to the end of the green, and as the applause filled the air, we marched back to the car.  "We had our own mum's night out", said my daughter.  "Yes", I replied, "But I had to take my kid!"


Last weekend I was treated to a wonderful prize.  I had little idea that there was going to be such a contest, but we were back at 'Cota'.  As well as motor racing, other racing extravaganzas and concerts, the 'corporation' has been working on opening a theme park.  At first I was not sure there would be enough land to make the best theme park in the state.  Why did it have to be the best, because this is Austin!  I was pleasantly surprised!

The opening day had one ticket, and one ticket price.  This included unlimited food and soft drinks. The park would open at four and close at ten.  It all sounded very exciting.  I knew my husband would not really be interested in attending this grand opening, so I asked my daughter if she wanted to come, with the family.   It would be a memory making day with my grandson.  

We arrived at the entrance and parked in the general area.  It was the perfect spot, in front of the bridge that was crossed over to get to the walk to the entrance.  We did not wait for the 'bus' to take us to the gates, and joined the crowd.  The line was fairly long, but moved quickly.  There were no wristbands or the like, as everyone had the same ticket.  Security checks were efficient and we stood waiting to enter.  Eventually, the 'mascots' arrived and sang something that was fairly catchy, and then the Chairman of Cota came out to greet the crowd.  He spoke for a few minutes, welcoming and thanking the crowd, and then said that he knew we were keen to enter, at which time I 'whooped' and 'hollered' and caused the crowd to clap and do likewise.  I did not realise that I had pre-empted one of the mascots!  

My grandson had a similar look on his face as did my kids, the first time they went to the Magic Kingdom at Disney World.  It was magical to him.  He could see the attractions and was mesmerised by the characters.

The food lines were very long.  I stood in line for pizza, (as it was there, and the first food stop we saw) as the three went to line up for a twisty-twirly ride that would not suit me at all!  As I was waiting, one of the mascots appeared with a young 'assistant' to do a magic show.  I was not particularly impressed, but then it was not for me!  I simulated putting a rope around my neck and pulling, as my daughter watched and laughed from her place in their line.  By the time the ride had finished, I was nearly at the front.  We ordered pizza and two Caesar salads.  It seemed a good idea at the time!  We would eat them during the firework show later in the evening!  

I had to ride the carrossel.  I think I may have mentioned before that when I was younger, my dad used to sit with me on the horse.  When my kids were small, I had to sit with them.  I longed for the day I could ride the horse alone and perhaps, just perhaps, the horse would leave the ride, like in Mary Poppins, and I would ride around the park.  Of course, I know it would never happen, but it doesn't hurt to dream!  

I think we felt the same as most, and decided to eat first and ride second.  There were some rides that were not open, and some had not yet been built, but there were plenty for the 'forty two inch' brigade.  We queued for nachos, or 'walking nachos' as they are called, and Samantha wandered off to see what else was available.  She came back having found the main 'restaurant' and then I went on 'the rounds'.  I got in line at the main restaurant, and watched the football game on the screens.  I was quite content. 

I have no idea when I became the 'authority' but occasionally, (although some would say not so occasionally,) I become an 'organiser'.  "Next" called the cashier, and I turned around to see whom that might be.  "Excuse me, can you let that man through", I said to the person behind me, and to make matters worse, I lifted my index finger and beckoned the next person to come forward.  Then, after moving over two lines, because I had seen an opening, I stood and gave the ticket to the young boy behind the counter.  a man standing to my right told his child that he had been told to 'stand here' and wait for his food.  "You have to put down your ticket quickly.  Slam it on the counter".  As I took my tray, he slammed his ticket down and the young man picked it up and went to fill his order!  At least I was helpful!

 My grandson enjoyed himself immensely. Whilst eating pizza (a flatbread from the restaurant) he watched some people on the race track, driving individual laps.  There was also a concert being performed.   We left the restaurant and walked around to find another section that we had not realised existed.  There were some more food venues, but I was too full.  

Not having the space of other theme parks around the states, there was less walking between the rides, which is rather refreshing, and there weas no 'kids' area.  Both adults and kids rides were in the same area.  What a wonderful idea if you want to take grandma!  I no longer enjoy the 'big' rides, but would gladly walk my grandkid round whilst his parents take their seats on the 'screamers'.  Instead of meeting back at the entrance, you can meet in the middle of the section.  The set up was rathe innovative.  

I noticed a few things that I thought should be brought to the attention of the 'hierarchy' (naturally) and vowed to send an email making a list of my concerns.  I was a little perturbed at a 'larger' child on the kids swings.  After changing seats several times, he strapped himself in and was pushing the ride backwards. The operator could not get him to stop.  As a parent was nowhere to be seen, I decided to take over.  I just shouted, "Oi!"  It is amazing how effective that can be.  The child looked, not knowing from where the sound came, and was a little shocked.  It gave the operator time to get the ride started.

My grandson and I watched the fireworks from the air.  We were in a flying dog.  Perfectly natural!  A flying dog!  The salads were not eaten!  The 'parents' went on 'the' ride, and the park closed.  We made our way out and I was taken home.  My grandson told us that he had his 'best time' and his favourite ride was 'all of them'.  There were many!  A few rides were closed due to failure, but it mattered not.

Finding an email address was not easy, so I wrote a letter, and posted it, the old fashioned way, and then found a link with the Chairman's contact details.  I told him that the 'hiccups' did not deter from the day, and the inclusion of food and sodas was a 'brilliant' idea to compensate.  I admitted that I was not a safety expert, and had no idea what it took to organise such an event and, indeed, open a theme park, but I was a mum, grandma, and worked with kids, so noticed a few things here and there that may go unnoticed.  I  wanted to bring the matters to his attention so that 'our' (Austinites) park would not be subject to a law suit in its infancy.  I was amazed that a reply was received from the Chairman within the hour.  It may have been a team member, or perhaps an AI response, but it was not generic.  The response also said he 'appreciated' the tone in which my email was sent, which seemed to be rather a human response.  However, I could just be naive!  I did enjoy my salad!  Lunch on Mondays will never be the same!

Today is raining.  It has been raining for the last few days, and whilst we do need it, I realised I was not quite ready for the summer to stop!  Cooler temperatures will be much more pleasant. 

As the autumn draws in, I smile at how I have embraced Texas.  Maybe next week I shall give some more gems, in ............... another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment