Search This Blog

Monday, July 3, 2023

YOU KNOW YOU ARE IN TEXAS WHEN...!

The tickets to the farm included food and beverages.  I had almost missed the prize as the email went into my 'junk' folder, and it was not until I saw the caption, "Did you want to claim", from a known source, did I open it.  Boggy Creek Farm, was the first, and perhaps still the only, urban farm in the heart of downtown Austin.  The original structure of the farmhouse is, apparently, the second oldest building in our capital city, probably being built before it became the Capital!  

Temperatures were due to max out at 104 and the humidity made it feel like 112!  Texas, it was reported, was 99% hotter than anywhere else on the planet.  Admittedly, Austin was cooler, by a degree or two, than some of the cities further north, but averaged out as almost the hottest place on earth.  Still, the masses arrived at the farm.  It was their 'Pearl' anniversary, and the locals were not going to miss it!  This is Austin!  


Food tents were set up, and water was available, as well as local brews. Lamb from the farm was served on pieces of toasted pita.  It was delicious.  The next tent we went to was serving local tomatoes with mozzarella cheese.  The proprietor looked at Dana's shirt, bearing a Union Jack, and said to his young, very tall assistant, "Look at that!"  The assistant answered in a very British accent, "Oh yeah!"  "Where are you from?" I asked.  "England", he replied.  "Yes, but where?" I said.  "London. London in England".  I smiled, as I know I have done the same.  "Me to!  But where?"  The penny dropped!  (British penny that is!) "Oh, wow, yes.  From Queensway.  You know it?"  I replied. "Where the ice rink is.  Well was!"  He looked shocked.  "Yes!  Wow!"  We chatted for a bit and he had only been here for a year, on and off, as his girlfriend was at UT.  (University of Texas.)  "So, you really haven't encountered a Texas summer then?" I said.  "I am now!" he answered. He most certainly was.  He was sweltering in the fan assisted tent!

Salads and gazpacho soup were laid out, as well as tequila marinated, and barbecue chicken with collard green vegan wraps.  There was something for everyone!  "Totally dairy free", said the lady who was promoting her 'dressing'.  I could not believe how good the cauliflower ranch was.  Not a hint of the vegetable.  I ate the salad, and thought I could decipher goats cheese.  "She said it was dairy free" I told Dana, and walked back to the stand.  "No, our dressing is dairy free.  Are you allergic to dairy?" she asked, horrified.  I told her that I was not, but I thought she said the whole thing was dairy free and wanted to know her secret of making it taste like cheese!  The relief was obvious, and she was glad I liked the dressing!

We did not stay long as the heat was unbearable, despite the fans being on full blast.  Their farm shop was wonderful, full of homegrown vegetables, and of course, Longhorn beef!  The beef they source from a local farmer.  "We never know what will be in the shop from day to day, because it depends on what we can dig up" said the owner in response to my 'Thank you' email.  I had told them that we had the privilege of sitting with their neighbour for some of the afternoon, and she had filled us in on the history of how they had bought the dilapidated building, and decided to start a farm after renovations.  Although expensive, I would not hesitate to shop there if the occasion arose, as it is not a cliche that it all tastes so much better!

The promise of cooler weather kept us going during the week. Michele had asked if I could change my 'nail day' from a Wednesday to a Tuesday for the future, as she wanted to change her day off.  I said I would, and despite the immediate angst, I said I would oblige. I took off and drove across the river to the studio!  As Independence Day approached, my thoughts were on a variation for decoration. Waiting for Michele to arrive, I drew around my hand several times, and tried to get a different approach.  Eventually, I came up with a flag.  Three fingers with red and white stripes, leaving the fourth and thumb in blue with white stars.  It looked quite impressive when she had finished.  "Are you okay with Tuesday's?" asked Michele.  "Of course not!" I replied.  "I will, however, get used to it!" I continued with a wry grin.  She thanked me and knew that it would not be a problem. The problem was all psychological and I would adapt!

Instead of turning off the highway to go down the windy winding stretch that takes me back to the office, I continued on to Costco and got some petrol.  Then, I doubled back to the Indian store as the only thing that did not make it through the fridge losing power was my yoghurt.  I had whipped up the ingredients for my lime cheesecake in the morning and did not have the topping!   I put it in the fridge and hoped it would be okay to leave and cook later.  Cheesecake can be fickle!  Just like me when changing routine!  

Wandering into the Dollar Tree, I picked up a couple of items that I needed, and wandered out.  "You are untrustful. You are not trustworthyful", came the different way of using a way to describe someone as not being honest or sincere.  "I gave you my dog to look after, and you went off with a blonde!"  I did not see the connection, but I do not suppose I was meant to.  "Sorry about that", said the guy to whom the accusation was being screamed.  "Immaturity!" he said in his defense.  Perhaps the screaming was slightly less than adult, but I did wonder at his sincerity to the lady who maybe thought he was the genuine article!

I drove back to the office, and continued with my day.  Going to the post box I took my umbrella.  I was once told that the Texas sun and English roses do not mix, so a cover was imperative.  However, there appeared to be a letter stuck at the back of the box, and try as I might I could not budge it.  The only available, long, sturdy object I could find, after several sticks broke, was the umbrella.  In the short time I put it down, used it as leverage, (which did not work,) and put it back up again, my arm had caught the sun.  I was a little angry with myself for not going back and getting my 'grabber', but when I tried that the following day, it too did not work!

I had heard that small scorpions are the most dangerous.  I can imagine the larger versions give you a pretty nasty sting, but apparently, the little variety are quite deadly.  How one ended up in my bedroom is a bit of a mystery but I can only imagine it managed to make its way into the vents, or up through  the pipes.  I usually shake everything before wearing, as we are in a desert climate, and the animals were here for a long time before this Capital city was named or the land built upon.  When I woke up and felt something, I thought it was a tissue, then a hair tie, but realised I do not wear those to bed!  The sting was quite sharp but not dreadful.  The scorpion did not survive!  It is not the first time I have found one in my house, but they are usually dead by the time they make it inside.  It is Texas!  The website assured me that those indigenous to Texas, quite like the Tarantula, are not harmful to a healthy adult.  Unlike other varieties around the country, and beyond.  The one that stung me was definitely not harmful, at least not anymore!  Another first, and hopefully a last.  I have coped with mosquitoes, ants and spiders.  I was not aware that when I was bitten by an arachnid, its close cousin would follow suit!

I went with Samantha and the baby to a toddler group on Friday morning.  It is not something I would usually do, due to work, but as things had already started to slow down, I thought I would take the opportunity.  It took me back years!  All the new mums, with a couple of dads, who could not contain their pride at their offspring, each of whom was, of course, the most advanced, cute, intelligent being that had ever looked you in the eye, were looking pitifully at all the other children (equally as advanced, cute, intelligent beings) not quite up to par. (In their opinion.)  Of course, grandma came too, and I was not the only older person in the room.  However, I was with my daughter, and obviously far more objective!  If I was with my son, who knows! We went back to the office via the post office.  "Hey sweetie", shouted Vikki, who then squealed when she saw the baby.  She chatted to him, telling him how big he had got.  It was just a lovely friendly visit!

Queuing up at the petrol station showed Texas at its best.  The person in front of Samantha moved on, but the person behind did not drive around.  He waited patiently for her to finish, and then drove up to the first pump, with the person behind him driving up to the second. Although the heat had subsided a little, it was still hot, and the Texas pace was just 'summer'.  It made me smile.

I lounged after swimming. It was all I wanted to do.  I dozed too. Although we were happily 'temping' under a hundred, it was only by a couple of degrees.  "My friend's son asked if this was a retirement community", said a neighbour.  "Really?" said the twelve year old me.   I realised that sitting with my neighbours, to a six year old we must appear to be quite old!  It was comforting rather than upsetting! Here I am, in Texas, at the ripe old age of....well a reasonably ripe age, and just wondering when did I adjust.  I know I am in Texas when....!

I am hoping for another lazy afternoon.  Work may or may not happen tomorrow.  Many people are having a long weekend, and I think it will be very quiet.  Most people take  of at lunchtime on July 3, so perhaps most wont start at all!  Another year, and 247 years on from the original Independence Day.  Another month, another Sunday and next week ............ another story!



No comments:

Post a Comment