Search This Blog

Sunday, May 7, 2023

RING OF ROSES!

Another glorious weekend gave way to a warm start to the week, with threats of rain pushing back, hour by hour.  Whether to water the garden was my biggest problem of the day.  If I watered and it rained, would it get too wet; if I did not water and it didn't rain, would it get too dry? The dilemma of a farmer, I thought!  

A farmer I am not,, although I wonder how I would fare as such.  Perhaps an allotment would suit me better, but then would I crave the larger space.  I put it into the context of a fridge.  (Strange as it may seem.)  I have a large(r) fridge, and a small(er) appliance.  How did I live without the second one, I ask myself.  However, I did!  How would I live without livestock?  I have up until now, but would I crave it if I have more room to plant?  The dilemma of a (would be, possibly, probably not) farmer!

Back to Monday and the start of another week.  It was May Day.  I remember the first May Day bank holiday in England.  The first full year of my working life, and I profited not from the day off, but then we had an extra holiday.  It is one that is not celebrated here, as Labor Day is (I believe) the equivalent, which is the week after the Summer Bank Holiday at home, which we do not get here!

What we do get here, is the higher percentage of winning prizes!  At least that is what I perceive to be true.  Grant and I both won tickets to go to the live radio performance on Wednesday.  It was going to be a bit of a squeeze to make it in time, as I had 'nails' first thing and we had to be at the studio by 11.  However, when we received the email, the time had been put back to midday, and that was doable.

On my way to see Michele, I stopped to buy some bread.  I walked past some beautiful roses, and felt rather prompted to buy them.  It was a strange prompt as usually I go for flowers that will last longer, and normally, the cheaper variety, as none last long enough! . However, walking back past the flower stand, I felt compelled to buy the roses.  I bought the white roses.  It occurred to me as I got into the car that perhaps they were not meant for me, nor Michele, but for the receptionist at the radio station.  Now came the dilemma.  For whom were the roses bought?  At the same time that the thought entered my head, Lauren Daigle came on the radio.  I knew then, the roses were to be taken to the radio station.

My choice for nails was simple, but I changed my mind.  "Can I have the shocking pink with yellow flowers?" I asked.  "What flowers?" came the question.  "Just dots", said I.  "I saw some really cute flowers the other day.  Do you want those?" came the rebuttal.  "How are we for time?" I continued.  Apparently, there was enough time.  Apparently, there would have been enough time, if everything had gone the way it was supposed to go.  "More haste, less speed", I murmured, as Michele wiped the shape that offended her from my nail. "This is my OCD!" she announced.  Her eleven o'clock was waiting, as I ran out of the salon, with spectacular nails, but little time!

We reached the radio station in plenty of time, and I handed the roses to the receptionist.  "Because you are so lovely!" I said, as she greeted us like long long friends.  "So are y'all", she responded, and then immediately asked, "Where's the baby?"  I told her that he had finally gone to meet his other grandparents, before he was old enough to get married!  One of the DJs appeared at the desk.  "Where's the baby?" she asked, without a 'hello'.  Everyone who was already seated, looked over at us, to see if they recognised us.  Obviously, we were well known!  "What is the receptionists name?" I said to Grant.  "I think it's Maria", he said.  "Really?" I responded, not convinced.

The same caterers as last week were providing the food.  "That's a bit off", said Grant, tongue in cheek.  We were quite delighted as it was amazing fare, but we had become so blaze!  "Grant" shouted the receptionist.  He did not respond.  After all, why would she be calling him.  "Grant", she called again, and he looked up.  "Why did you buy me flowers?" she asked.  "Yeah, Grant", said I.  "Fan number two wants to know!"  Grant pointed to me and said, "I didn't.  She did!"  The receptionist looked over at me and, pointing to a co-worker, said, "Tell her why you bought me flowers".  I did. "Because you are so lovely", I said.  The co-worker looked in faked horror.  "Lovely?  When?"  Everyone looked at us again.  "Who are they?" we saw written on their faces.

Lunch was served, and we sat outside on the patio and shared our table with some other guests.  It was very pleasant, and when we were called in, we threw away our empty plates.  "What is the receptionists name?"  I asked. "It's Rosa" said the DJ.  (It took me until later that evening to equate Roses and Rosa!)  I looked at Grant and grinned.  "So, not Maria", he said.  "No.  That must be her nun name" I said, quickly followed by, "Am I allowed to say that?" 

The band, and it was a reasonably full band, with little room left on the stage, had a wonderful sound.  We could not quite work out their sound, as it was unique.  Probably, 'Austin'.  They had some funny stories, and after the performance, the lead singer made her way quickly out of the studio.  Grant and I followed, as quickly, although we have no idea why.  We had to get back to work?  Possibly!  "Bye Rosa.  See you next time!" we shouted!

Friday morning saw another break in work.  I had to take the car for its inspection and a service. I headed along the highway, turned off at the appropriate exit and entered the forecourt.  It looked empty.  I was quite pleased to think that there was no one else around and that it would not take long.  I parked up and walked to the door.  It was locked. I noticed a sign on the door, and someone came over to look out. "I am in the wrong place, aren't I", I said.  "They've moved" was the reply.  The very nice gentleman told me where to go.  It was not far, just a short distance down the highway.  I found the new facility with no problem. I walked into the garage, booked in the car, and went to the coffee bar to help myself to a cup of something wonderful, and an almond croissant, which was provided by the rather delightful French bakery, La Madelaine.  I was not expecting to spend all day there!  However, despite them telling me it was, 'almost done', I later found out that they had 'mislaid' my car, and had not quite finished.  It appears that they had taken it to be washed, and left it in the wrong place.  


During my hours of waiting, I had started to read.  A man approached me and asked which car I was purchasing.  "No. Let me guess.  It's that one, right?"  I shook my head. "No.  You are more of the sporty type.  That one?"  I told him that my car was in the shop, not on the display floor.  I noticed his 'veteran' cap and asked if he was in the service.  He had been. I quickly told him my husband was ex-army, just to stop any 'flirting'.  I was not sure if he was just being friendly, lonely, or actually flirting.  The 'sporty' comment had me wondering. I found out that he was married, had been for a number of years, had been 22 years in the army, worked for the veterans' hospital, had been retired, went back to work, had a house, which was paid for in a lovely suburb of Austin, was looking to buy a new car, and a couple of hours worth of other personal details, which presumably he felt the need to let me know.  I did not get to read much!  

The car was finally found, and it appears it had not been lost, but they were looking at the wrong car, or the wrong worksheet.  Either way, it was my car, and the worksheet they gave me was the correct worksheet, and the wash and vacuum was worth the wait.  

Having to take myself out on Saturday, I left early and headed.  My shopping was done quite quickly, and my final stop was Costco. I parked up, went in, bought my items and returned to the car.  As I approached, a lone truck was heading down the aisle, and stopped, presumably awaiting my space.  I looked at the car and realised this was not my car.  I turned and started to walk back.  The truck followed. I then realised I was not even in the right lane!  The truck stopped following me.  I finally found my car, having parked in the only aisle that had no 'walk through' to the next, and a raised pavement, so I had to go to the very end to turn the cart around.

By the time I arrived home, I was exhausted.  It was very hot, and I just wanted to go for a swim, which I did.  I dozed for ten minutes, and was woken by the gate opening.  My neighbour walked down the steps, and we started to chat.  By the time we had exhausted all topics, it was time for me to leave!  However, I did have a good time!

Sunday morning rained.  It did not rain for long and it was not too heavy.  Friday had seen another short storm, but the damage was not like last week.  I had a lot to do in the garden, as it was a mess!  Leaves and twigs all over.  

I am not sure that next week could possibly hold as much excitement as this!  Once again, rain is in the forecast and it may or may not materialise.  There do not appear to be any radio station appearances on the horizon but time will tell.  Perhaps I will surprise myself in ........... another story!


No comments:

Post a Comment