Search This Blog

Sunday, April 23, 2023

ART FOR ART'S SAKE!

It was not the Sunday afternoon I was expecting.  I had been down to the pool on Friday evening and noticed a new sign.  It was different to the old sign, and the verbiage made me wonder whether it was 'in compliance' as it was rather specific.  It also had an opening time much later than I would normally like to take my morning dip. The next thing I noticed was that 'pets not allowed in pool'.  Pets are not allowed in the pool area!  At least it was on the gate! Upon returning home on Saturday, our new 'directory' had been printed and distributed, and my first action was to check the 'pool rules' section, where the time was quite categorically stated as earlier than the one on the sign.  "I am going by the book!" I said to my husband!  However, I digress.  As I entered the area, I noticed that one of the grassy areas had been covered with sheets and towels, and there appeared to be boxes containing plastic bottles of paints, and a few plain canvases dotted around.  My curiosity was spiked.  I drew nearer and was greeted by the 'ice queen', who was not taking her usual ninety second dip, but was 'creating' a masterpiece.  It was explained that the method of 'art', or should I say, 'medium', was called 'acrylic flow'.  The diluted paint is poured into a cup, not stirred, the canvas placed over the cup, then the cup on the canvas turned upside down, and the cup removed.  The paint is then swirled around by moving the canvas. I went for a swim!

Upon emerging from the rather cool water, I went to see what had been done.  The pictures had a rather paisley effect, and were quite beautiful.  "Have you ever thought of trying just two colours?" I asked, as this had been something I was musing about whilst exercising.  "Would you like to try?" I was asked. As you can imagine, I did not need to be asked twice, and put my idea into motion.  I poured four different shades of blue, plus white, into the cup, placed it under the canvas, turned it upside down, lifted the cup and proceeded to swirl.  The effect was quite amazing, and as I saw a picture emerge, I manipulated the canvas in the appropriate directions.  I ended up with what looked like a winter scene, with a tree, and snow.  It was time to change tactics.  The guy who asked me if I wanted 'to try', tried his hand. "I see volcanic mountains!" I gasped.  As he saw it, he quickly turned the canvas another way and the painting became a scene rather than a design.  My canvas was put on the table to dry and I watched as they continued to create!


Our secretary to the board appeared on the scene, and saw me, sitting on my usual 'throne'.  "Did you see the sign?" she asked.  I nodded.  "It's state law!" she continued.  "First thing Tom said was that it should read that pets are not allowed in the pool area, not just the pool, but I think it will be understood". I replied that the sign on the gate was quite clear that pets were not allowed in.  "First thing our President said was", she continued, " 'Tracie will go crazy.  Look at the opening time!  I thought I better come and talk to you!" I found it funny that it was the 'first thing' the president thought!  "You are our pool lady", she carried on hurriedly. "It doesn't apply to you!"  I had to laugh.  I pointed out that the directory said an earlier time and I was going 'by the book' and she found that to be amusing.  

My picture was taken home and I proudly showed Dana, like a child coming home from school with their first crayon scribble.  "Look what I did!" I said as I came in.  He was dutifully impressed, and then I told him about the 'pool rules'.  He was not surprised!

Apparently, because 'tax day' fell on a Saturday, it had been moved to Monday, but because Monday was 'Emancipation Day', it was moved to Tuesday.  It appears that a lot of people did not get their 'stuff' ready beforehand, and took advantage of the extra days. Monday was like a holiday.  Although the phones were ringing as much as usual, with a variety of questions asking about my health, my funeral requirements, whether I had received my medical card, and my check up for some complaint of which I had not heard, there were few business calls.  Our paper count was very low, and we were out of the office at a very reasonable hour.  We did not attribute the low count to anything, but I thought I would check online to see if there was a reason.  The fact that everything came back to life, with an a  vengeance, confirmed there was a reason, odd as it seemed to me!  

I had been emailing the legislature with my opposition to a 'bill' that had been filed, that would affect our city in a very adverse way, in my opinion, and so it would seem in the opinion of a lot of others.  The hearing date had been at the end of March, and my emails were sent the day before.  In the event, the public hearing took place, and the 'bill' was left 'pending'.  It was with surprise that I received an email on Wednesday, letting me know how very important my opinion was to the representative, and my participation was appreciated, and this matter would be looked into, immediately!  The email oozed with admiration, appreciation and various other such gushing elements.  However, it was sent nearly three weeks after mine was received, and far too late.  I was rather disappointed, but disappointingly unsurprised!  Despite the enormous amount of opposition, the committee eventually voted favourably!  Politics at its best!  Perhaps I should stick to painting by cup!

Despite the promise of rain from Tuesday onwards, we did not feel so much as a sprinkle until Thursday evening, when the heavens opened and a torrent of heavy precipitation flooded down our main thoroughfare.  Once again we praised our new windows!  I was a little concerned for my plants, but they seemed to survive the onslaught.  

Although our work week started slowly, we definitely caught up with the quantity by Friday.  I woke on Saturday morning wondering why my alarm had not sounded!  It took a few seconds for me to realise the day.  

There was not much activity on Saturday afternoon, as I swam.  I looked for the 'artists' as I had bought them a bottle of wine as a thank you.  I do not think they knew quite how much fun I derived from being part of the 'in crowd' and giving me a new outlet!  However, I had other things to be excited about!  Perhaps excited is not the right word, but more 'proud'.  My middle grandson had taken part in the 'Mini' London Marathon, and ran the mile with ease.  At six years old, he crossed the finishing line with a rather impressive time!  I watched the video several times, and beamed more and more.  

Another dull day means that I will not be spending much time doing 'nothing' but I had some plans for the 'outside'.  It was an interesting week but not really full of activity, especially after my wonderfully exciting Sunday afternoon!  Perhaps this week will have a little more 'spark' on the 'interest' side of it.  Hold on for a rollercoaster, or not, of ............ another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment