Search This Blog

Sunday, April 2, 2023

A WHOLE LOAD OF NOTHING GOING ON!

Postponed!  That was the message on the webpage.  Our Thursday radio station gourmet lunch had been postponed!  So much for another culinary adventure.  It was not such a disappointment, as there would be other opportunities, and we had enjoyed a couple of weeks of merriment and wonder!

Swimming was also 'postponed'.  The water temperature had dropped dramatically from the previous day, and whilst I managed to get in to the water waist deep, there was no way I was going to prolong the agony!  Perhaps last year I may have been tempted, or perhaps pressured by self, but I did not feel the need to retain the award for most idiotic resident!  Instead, I read for a while and then came back to tend to the garden.  As is usually the case, no one is around when I am wearing something 'appropriate', but the fact that I did not change out of my swimwear to do the gardening, and hauling to the dumpster, meant that everyone, including residents family, friends, visitors from out of town, and generally 'Uncle Tom Cobley and all' were wandering around the back of my unit!  I smiled sweetly and greeted all.

I finished editing last week's post and found that I could not download some of the pictures.  (I have included them in this post.) It appears my cable was faulty, but it did let me know that I had very little space left on my phone with the recommendation to get rid of some pictures and 'downloads'.  I was perplexed as I don't generally 'download' and the pictures were not large files.  However, I did check.  It took a long time to sort through the 'rubbish'.  I did not realise quite how many pictures I had received, mostly from my daughter, with 'advice' by certain 'professionals', nappy (diaper) contents (from the early days) to ask, "Is this right?" (to which I replied, I don't remember, that far back, to which she replied "Are you calling me old?", etc., etc.) and dozens, perhaps scores,  of absolute nonsense!  However, I managed to clear an enormous amount!

I can't remember why I checked the website, on Monday, for details of the event on Thursday.  It could have been to see when we could expect the email to see if we had been granted a spot.  The fact of the matter is that I did check the website and the word 'Postponed' was stamped across the page as large as life.  As the day continued, it became somewhat of a relief, as the 'man down' scenario is starting to take its toll.  As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, it seems as if 'suing' has become the latest trend!  

As the year is an odd number, the Legislature is in session.  I received an email from a 'source' to say that a couple of 'nasty' bills had been filed.  The city of Austin have been trying, over several years, to get an ordinance passed, and failed.  Now they are trying to put it into law.  It was time to act.  I spent most of the day sending out emails to the committee members in both the House of Representatives and the Senate, opposing in the strongest, succinct way that I could.  I received the general, 'thank you', followed by, 'it is always good to hear from the public' or words to that effect.  Each office have their own way of making you feel like you are 'special' but the fact is that they all say the same thing using different words.  I was quite delighted when I received a personal reply, including my name and reference to the context specifically.  Of course, that too could have been an 'app' that picks up what is needed to answer and make you feel 'special'.  However, I did my 'bit' and expressed my vehement opposition in the strongest possible terms.  

It still makes me laugh when I become so involved in the legislative process, albeit just sending an email here and there, or making a call to present my 'for' or 'against' opinion.  There are many who do not take part, or who ask, "When did that become law".  You can't stop everything, and can't look for everything, but if a hurricane warning is given, it seems silly not to head for the storm shelter!  

"Do you have a new grandbaby!" came the question that was more of a cross between a statement and a question.  One of the cashiers from the supermarket asked me when I went to get some bread.  "I do!" I said, smiling as not only did he know me, but he knew my daughter and now her baby!  The man who was actually operating the till looked at us both in surprise.  He obviously did not recognise me, nor I him, but somebody not only knew the woman with the different accent, but knew her family.  He seemed almost shell shocked, and stood with his mouth open as I was waiting to see how much I needed to pay, as if he wanted to say something but couldn't find the words.  When I enquired as to the amount I owed him, he stammered and gave me an answer, still looking confused.  Perhaps he, too, was from out of town!

We had a whole day of drizzle on Thursday, which meant that my plants were quite sufficiently watered.  By the time I returned home they looked rather happy.  I went for a walk.  "Go Texans!" said a young man as he made his way to the dumpster.  It took a couple of seconds for the words to sink in, but I realised he had made the comment as my cap has the emblem of the professional football team. "You don't meet many fans here", I said as he walked back to his unit. "I am from Houston", he offered.  "Are you?"  I explained that I was from England and that being English, one has to support a team, no matter where they end up in the world.  I did not feel an affiliation to the 'Cowboys', of Dallas, so I went with the 'other' team.  He found it fascinating and introduced himself.  We exchanged a few more pleasantries and I went on my way.  Perhaps I will see him in the supermarket, and confuse the cashier even more!

Although it did not seem to come around too quickly, the end of the week did actually come around very quickly!  Although I was sure that there was a lot that happened, everything seemed to revolve around how busy we were.  

The only definite thing on the horizon for next week appears to be the threat of thunderstorms.  Of course, the threat does not mean that it will be definite, and is like building everyone up for a non-event!  It is always nice to know if planning an outside event, but that I am not! I did promise to look into a 'get together' for our neighbours, but that will certainly not be next week.  I just do not have the time!  Offers of help have flooded in, but I am not sure when I was deemed to be the host!  I will no doubt take pictures to delete at another time!  


Outside my window, at the moment, the sky is very grey and there appears to be a slight rumbling far away. I shall plan my afternoon accordingly.  There appears to be another 'heinous' set up for a hearing in a legislative committee tomorrow, so my time may be best spent sending emails of opposition.  Oh to be a Texan now that spring is here, to misquote the poem!  I hope for some excitement next week, albeit perhaps subtle, and shall report accordingly, in ......... another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment