Search This Blog

Sunday, March 19, 2023

WHERE DO I BEGIN!!

When I finished my post last week, with the words "Who knows", I perceived there maybe a modicum of activity the following week, but did not realise there would be quite so much!  SXSW took up just a small part of the proceedings, and once again, we commented that we had already seen 'the best years'

After a glorious swim on Sunday afternoon, and a trip to the barbeque restaurant that we have not been to in a while, I felt rather refreshed. It was a busy morning, before I left home, as not only did I have to complete my self-imposed chores, but I also had to get my outfit ready for the evening.  I was the only one who could make it!  Make what?  Grant had won tickets to the rodeo, with the after show performance by Flo Rida.  A rapper is not usually my first option for a concert, in fact I don't know that it is ever in my list of options for a night out, but the experience would be fun.  The winning of the prize was, in itself, quite amusing.  I do listen to the radio stations offering the prizes, but intermittently and normally when in the car. Whenever a 'keyword' is needed, I usually bypass the option, as I am never listening when it is announced.  However, I did have the radio on at work one Wednesday, as I was hoping for the 'pizza for lunch' prize, and just so happened to bring my earphone to my ear when the keyword was announced.  Grant's name was picked out of the hat! The original icon (and if I remember correctly, the DJ announced the same) was a trip on the Flo Rida party bus to the rodeo, tickets to the event and show.  The email received confirming said a trip on the party bus, with tickets to the event and show.  By the time Monday came around, the email said to be at the mall at 5:15 p.m. for the 'shuttle' and the tickets would be handed out during the 'ride' to the rodeo.

More bluebonnet pictures were taken at lunchtime, as the flowers were in full bloom.  They would not last long, perhaps until the weekend, so we wanted to get them whilst we could.  As we perched on the bank by the side of the road, cars hooted as they went by.  We waved back.

Dressed in my 'rodeo' attire; white shirt with boots and hats embroidered most extravagantly across the front, jeans and off course the hat and boots, Grant drove us to the mall.  The plan was to have Dana pick us up from the 'Expo' centre around 9:30 and get home at a reasonable time.  The 'shuttle' was not due back at the mall until 11:30 pm, and by the time Grant dropped me off, he would not have been home much before one in the morning.  Our plan was a good idea for us, but it meant Dana driving across to the far south corner of town, back to the mall, and back home again.  However, he was happy to oblige.

As we drove into the mall, Grant spotted an 'airport-like' shuttle.  "I'll bet that's our ride", he joked.  Many a true word said in jest!  We waited, and waited.  Eventually, we saw the two DJ's.  We had met "Gossip Greg" before, both at the radio station and when he delivered a prize of pizza lunch a few years earlier.  He acknowledged that we had met before.  The airport shuttle rounded the corner and it was announced that our 'ride' was here.  The other two girls who were riding with us, together with another two who appeared to be friends of Greg, looked at each other, then at us, over to the DJ's and back again.  Where was the 'party' bus?  The 'Flo Rida' party bus was perhaps never going to happen, but we did at least expect something a little more glamourous.  I had said to Samantha earlier that I wondered if they would have mineral water.  "You won't get a mineral water on a party bus" she said.  There was not so much as a plastic bottle! 

We sat and waited.  "I will give them five minutes" said one of our hosts.  Suddenly, a car rounded the corner at breakneck speed.  A conversation ensued between our host and the driver.  The driver drove a couple of inches, and then backed up, oblivious of surrounding vehicles.  More words were said, and it sped off again. "I knew we should have left on time", said our host.  

The driver of the erratically driven vehicle ran, as fast as he could, to the shuttle.  He was a slightly overweight younger chap, who was rather flamboyant.  He held an energy drink in one hand, and a large 'soda' cup in the other.  His backpack made a 'clunk' sound as it hit the floor, and once on our way he opened it to reveal a rather large bottle of vodka.  "This aint no party bus", he announced.  "When it said 'shuttle', I thought we would have to make our own party.  Anyone want?"  We all shook our heads, as he proceeded to pour half of the bottle into the large soda cup.  Admittedly, he was the entertainment on the way, making us laugh with his stories, and comments about his 'plus one' who was going to meet him there. 

Arriving at the centre, we were driven almost to the 'front door'.  "Okay, we will meet back here after the show", said our host.  "What time?" asked one of the guests.  A discussion ensued as to when the rodeo would be over, when the show would start, when the show would finish and it was decided that eleven would be a good time.  "Eleven?" said Greg.  We all looked at him, thinking that he wanted to stay later, perhaps enjoy the fcarnival rides, but he added, "That's a bit late".  A few more options were thrown around, and 10:30, or straight after the show, whichever was earlier, was decided upon.  Grant and I thought it would be early enough that Dana did not need to come and collect us.  We could be at the mall by eleven and he could be home before midnight.

We wandered around for a while, taking in the sights and booths, before finding our seats.  They were quite high up, but as there were only two tiers, it was near enough to see the arena, as well as being able to see the big screens.  The rodeo was very good, as always, and we 'whooped' and 'hollered' along with the crowd.  I did not get to have my giant roasted turkey leg, as we did not find them, and only half way through the show did we see some people with them. It seems they were on a stand over the 'other side'.  

Once the rodeo was over, the two DJ's with the two girls who appeared to be friends of Greg's, appeared for the show.  We all sat on one long bench as the lights went down and the rapper was introduced.  If you are thinking 'a rapper and the rodeo don't go', then you share a thought with most of the crowd.  In fact, during the second song, one of the stage performers was gyrating rather profusely, and the 'star' stopped the show and said, "Hey!  You can't do that.  This is the Austin Rodeo!"  Laughter echoed throughout the arena.  

I think it was the third song, perhaps the fourth, as they all seemed to roll into each other, and sounded very similar by then, with me knowing a couple of lines from one or two, when he sang his 'hit', 'Low'.  I was vaguely familiar with the tune, but those who remained (with the traditional 'old timers' having left) were enjoying it rather too much! I must say, however, that 'Mr. Rida' himself was a great performer, and very interactive with the crowd.  His personality absorbed those who were left.  As the song ended, the one of the two girls (friends of Greg) bumped me and said, "I think we are going now".  I looked at Grant, who looked at the other two ladies, and back at the 'friends of Greg'.  "Okay", I said.  Grant agreed it was a good time to leave, but I think the other two ladies would have liked to have seen the whole show.  

Our trip home was a blast.  The guy who arrived late had sent a message to say he would not be coming back with us.  I did hope that his friend would be making him stay at her house, as the amount he had to drink, along with the can of energy, would have sent him far too far over the limit!  However, I was not his mother!  (Although stories of his mother were told throughout the journey to the centre!)

Grant did make it home before midnight, and we both agreed, on Tuesday morning, that the experience was terrific.  We had enjoyed the rodeo, seen enough of the show by the time we left, and the whole business of being told "We're leaving" was just too funny!  That and the fact that the "Flo Rida party bus" went from such to a regular party bus to a shuttle was all part of the fun.  It was a freebee and none of it would have been experienced had we (or Grant specifically) not won the tickets!

The tickets Jerry had won for Wedensday (oh yes, everyone gets put in) were really good.  He received front row seats, and then tickets to the 'after party' where he met all the contestants, and shared barbeque and beer with the singer, who was more aligned to the rodeo!

Although there were a lot of things at SXSW that did not need badges, we were not overwhelmed by the draw as we have been in the past.  Not working downtown makes it harder to attend.  We have to find somewhere to park!  However, the 'Creative Expo' was open to the public on Wednesday, and I drove the mini, with Samantha and Teddy and we did actually find a great parking spot. Payment was no longer 'pay and display' but on an 'app' which Samantha managed to get on her phone, and the $3.50 was not a bad price to pay, considering the car parks were charging from $15 (a very long walk away) to $30!  We walked to the Convention Center, which was just four blocks down and a couple across.  Of course, it was uphill going back, but not too bad.

Our first port of call was a stand called Polkadot.  The man on the stand was rather condescending to begin with, and a bit dismissive.  I asked what was 'Polkadot'.  He sighed, and asked me if I knew what 'block building' was.  I did not.  Another much heavier sigh.  I could see his mind working.  "Only a couple of hours left.  Three days I have been here, and I have two hours left, and I get stuck with the wrinkly!"  He explained, through gritted teeth.  "Oh.  You mean platforms".  His face changed slightly.  It went from completely contorted in agony to more of a grimace.  I asked when it went from being called 'platforms' to 'building blocks'.  Again, the contortion showed for a second, 'Block building.  Around 2008'.  By the time we had finished the conversation, his face was almost back to plain 'bored'.  He realised that I did know something about the matter, (having been read chapter and verse many years ago by a very patient IT guy,) and he handed us a bag and a pen!  Another lady was also a little peeved at having the 'oldie' at her stand, but when I commented that as her company was mainly internet based, age was not a concern.  "Have a bag!" she said!  A young girl, who started her own business during 'lock down' was far more welcoming, but probably because her mum was sitting next to her!

We got back to the car, laden down with swag, and another driver lowered his window.  "Are you leaving?" he asked.  I replied that we were, but may be a while as we had to get the baby in.  "I aint going nowhere!" he laughed.  He was just delighted to find such a premium spot!  I did not correct the double negative. We are in Texas!

Another trip did not seem worthwhile as it did not seem probable that all the 'old' booth operators would show up!  After all, we have so much 'junk' or swag from previous years, more of the same would just take up space.  As I said, the 'draw' was not there.  I did look to see what was going on, but the opportunities of winning great prizes, or even being given great gifts was not shown.  We had the best years!

Edward asked if we would like to go to the Longhorn's baseball game on Friday night.  Dana was ambivalent, as it was quite cool.  Last weekend's lows were higher than this week's highs!  However, we would be in a 'box' and food was provided.  We were picked up and driven to the college stadium and our parking pass was 'executive' so we did not have to walk far.  I enjoyed a glass of shandy (made by me) and ate hot dogs, sandwiches, popcorn and more.  We had fun.  We were home by ten! I felt as if I had been on the town all week!

Our trip out on Saturday was going to be long.  Samantha wanted to go to the mall!  I was not averse to the idea, as it was cold and a trip to the pool was out of the question!  We shopped and shopped.  We did not come back with very much.  On our way home, we commented on how pretty the blue bonnets looked, and knew they could be gone by Monday as the yellow flowers were starting to emerge and take over.  "Oh look", I exclaimed as I saw a car by the side of the road.  "They are going to take pictures", said Samantha, smiling as everyone just parks on the verge or hard shoulder for the event.  "Hoot", I said, "Quick, hoot as we go by".  We did, and waved furiously.  The people at the side of the road just looked.  It was then we realised that taking pictures was probably the last thing on their mind, as it became evident that they had broken down!  We felt awful, but laughed at the fact that we just surmised!


Sunday morning I woke and sent a message to my daughter.  "Happy proper Mothers' Day" it read.  I then asked if I could wish her a Proper Mothers' Day as her child is American.  She did not know the answer!

When I finished my post last week, with the words "Who knows", I had no idea it would take me so long to write today.  It was certainly a full week, and I know that next week will not compete content-wise.  I may have some things to write about, but I doubt there will be quite as much activity!  SXSW is over for another year, and the rodeo is coming to a close.  Contests will still be running, no doubt, as there is always something to enter.  The rest of my Sunday is going to be quite calm, I hope, just pottering with my plants, as it is still very cool outside.  Swimming has been put on hold for a while.  My plants have been brought inside due to the enormous dip in temperature.  My house currently smells like a farmyard due to the soil!  

Once again, next week is an open book, upon which I shall have to find something to write.  I will try to make it as exciting as possible, if only to dispel the myth that the stall holders appeared to believe about me being one of the 'aged'.  I smile in the knowledge that one day, they too will be where I am.  If only I could be a fly on the wall.  That would be ........... another story!



No comments:

Post a Comment