Search This Blog

Sunday, February 19, 2023

MY FUNNY VALENTINE!

Apparently, we missed a rather exciting Superbowl.  Why we did not watch the game is still a little bit of a mystery to me, but after watching a 'download' of commercials, there seemed little point in seeing them over, and over, and over again!  However, it appears that the game which interrupts said adverts, was quite exciting.  Instead, we ate burgers and did little else.  I had baked some meringue cases in the afternoon, and a cake that my mother used to make.  After finding it impractical to shape the egg mixture into hearts, I started again, blending the beautiful streaks of pinks and purples into a solid mass and ending up with two score (almost) pinky brown baskets.  The butter cake should have been made with self-raising flour but it was not until after it was put into the oven did I realise my mistake.  I felt as if I had failed!

The butter cake was devoured and comments wafted through the office, such as "This is so good.  What is it?"  Of course, as my friend Gail says, if no one knows what it is meant to be, it can be whatever you like!  I went from vitriolic to victorious in an instant!  

Once again, the weather was a little erratic, and I chose my outfit carefully for Tuesday.  Does anyone actually know the legend (or history) of St. Valentine?  I know I repeat this (most years) but growing up, the story of 'Valentine' was one of unrequited love, and unsigned cards were sent by those who wanted to let their feelings be known, albeit anonymously.  I remember the apprehension the girls felt at whether they were going to receive a card; the boys were less so as they knew they would get at least one a piece!  If they did not, it was the females' loss!  However, more stories have flooded the ever expanding Internet and 'love' is the bottom line!  I am still not at all bothered that my husband does not make a big fuss on this particular day, as (again mentioned many times,) if he went with tradition and only showed how much he cared on one day a year, I would be quite disappointed!  "Where are the roses?" asked one of our servers. We all ignored the question, as we all knew where the reaction would take us.  I am a stickler for tradition, but not for fraud!  (Perhaps a little cynical!)  However, a neighbour had asked a handful of people in to her condo for a Valentine's gathering and it was a good excuse for a 'get together'.  Her unit was beautifully, traditionally, decorated with hearts and flowers.  

The meringues were swooned over, and the two score became a handful!  I had also taken my (now) famous lemon cups and coffee cups.  Those who were at the gathering were fairly new neighbours and had not been to one of my (legendary, said two of my neighbours) suppers!  I promised I would think about doing something in a couple of months.  "What would it take for you to open up a bakery?" asked a neighbour.  "Someone to do the washing up and clearing away", I answered, honestly.  I did not have to 'blow my own trumpet' as an orchestra heavy in brass was doing it for me. 


After a thoroughly enjoyable evening, the week continued.  I felt slightly lost as our previous 'soirees' had been on a Thursday, and 'tradition' despite not being upheld in recent years, remained in my mind.  It seemed odd that there were still three days left in the week in which to work, and suddenly suing someone has become a sport, hobby and vocation!  The figures that make up the case number from various courts around the state are much higher than they were this time last year, or the year before. Although we were able to leave at a reasonable hour for our Valentine's jolly, the rest of the week saw us working well past 'quitting time'.

"Has our office manager been to see you?" said the sports therapist who has an office down the hall.  I responded in the negative and wondered why she would feel the need.  Did they need something notarized, as that is usually the reason for a visit.  Apparently, this was not the case.  The phantom bathroom 'fiend' had been 'at it again'.  The men's toilet had been left in a very undesirable state, and although it had been happening a lot towards the end of last year, we thought the culprit had 'moved on'  He is back!  The therapist said that they had been in touch with the management agency, and work crews had been out a few times to clean up the mess.  A possible offender had been singled out and she wondered if we had any further proof as to whether or not it was 'him'.  I knew to whom she was referring but we were doubtful as 'he' also worked in an office in the building, and surely the people with whom 'he' worked would notice, as it was impossible for him to commit the 'crime' and there be no residue! The said gentleman was incapacitated for a while, and if he was the culprit, the evidence would follow him down the corridor.  Although the subject was rather distasteful, it was slightly amusing as we were trying to figure out who would do such a thing.  After all, as far as we are aware, we are all adults, but that (as a therapist would know) does not necessarily mean we are all mature!  "Perhaps you could have a word with the people in that office, or call them?" she suggested.  "Or perhaps you could", I retaliated.  Why me?  I know it is said that I know everyone and everything, but I do not know everyone that well, and everything does not include the identity of the bathroom artiste!

The office manager did come to see me, borrowed my vacuum cleaner and then 'dropped' into the conversation about the men's toilet area!  I told her of my conversation with her boss, and indicated that the matter would have to be given to another sleuth (despite my wanting to know why rather than whom) and we agreed it would remain a mystery!

Again, the week came to an end, and we left the office much later than expected.  Exhausted, we drove home and I drifted off to sleep very early.  

I was awakened early on Saturday morning by a 'ping'.  I had received a variety of photographs from my father's half brother.  (Another story, for sure.)  I turned my phone on to silent and went back to sleep.  When I finally got up, and went for a walk, I remembered I had not turned on my sound, and found that I had a message from my sister.  It was of a seaside outing where it looked like my father, as a child, was holding the hand of my sister, as a child.  I realised I had seen the photo before, and it was actually my uncle holding my dad's hand!  I had not realised quite how much my sister favoured my dad when they were both children.  It was a lovely picture.  I continued to walk, tears streaming down my face, not because of the picture, but because it was very cold, and the wind was sharp and bitter!  

On our final shopping destination, Samantha pushed the trolley with the baby in his seat, fast asleep.  We noticed a pushchair with a toddler, just abandoned.  People were walking past, looking but not stopping.  Samantha and I wandered past, and then doubled back.  "Is he yours?: asked an Englishman.  Samantha responded that 'hers' was in the trolley and she would not let go.  Another lady hovered around the child.  We stood for a while, trying to find a sales assistant to let them know that a child appeared to have been left.  Another lady spoke to the child.  I wondered if it was a 'project' to see if anyone would do anything, then thought it would be in poor taste.  Eventually, the first lady whom we spotted, thought she saw the father, and went running after him.  He seemed to be most flustered and ran back to retrieve his son, as the lady with whom he was walking was berating him.  (Did she not notice the child was missing?)  He was most grateful and announced that he was 'unsure as to where' he had left him!  All's well that end's well, but it was a little scary!  "Only in America!" said the Englishman.  Sadly not, I thought to myself.  

As we exited the warehouse, I noticed the couple, with the child, checking their receipt. "Don't forget your kid!" I said as we walked past.  "They heard you" said Samantha.  I was not sorry!

With such drama during and at the end of the week, I wondered how I could end my weekend!  I spent a while restringing my solar lights in my sunroom, as the cord had snapped, and they were just hanging.  I then took a walk with a couple of female neighbours, who were going to take their daily constitutional and kindly allowed me to join their party.  One was Tuesday's hostess, and we thanked her for hosting and remarked on what a lovely time was had by all.  It was a good end to the afternoon.

Tomorrow is Presidents' Day and the office is not officially open.  I do not plan to go in.  I have so much I want to do at home!  I am not sure whether or not I will get around to it, but the thought is there!  Perhaps I will just hover, as I sometimes do!  My garden needs to be started too, so there is another project on the list.  

With the short work week ahead of us, I wonder if I will get anymore clues as to the identity of the 'bathroom fiend'.  Do I want to know?  Did the Costco absentminded couple arrive home with their toddler?  Do I want to know?  What do I want to know heading into .... another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment