Search This Blog

Sunday, December 18, 2022

ALL IS CALM, ALL IS BRIGHT!

What happens next? After two weeks of 'ups and downs' the best I could have hoped for was 'nothing'!  I was rewarded with exactly that.  Of course, I am not saying that the week did not have highlights, and no doubt (although I am not sure they registered) some lowlights, but nothing to compare with the previous fortnight.  

Although I was not particularly in any need of 'me' time, last Sunday,  it was not until I actually had some 'me' time that I realised how much I needed that little bit of 'nothing' to pull things back to somewhat level.  It was a beautiful day, with temperatures around seventy, and when I took my thermometer to the water, it showed a healthy sixty six.  I put on my suit, and went swimming.  It was so wonderful that after my 'regulation' laps, I continued to swim.  Almost the middle of December and I was enjoying a swim!  I was more amazed when someone else came down to join me!

It is not unusual for me to be alone poolside, during the summer, when I would think it would be somewhat more crowded, and I see no one for hours.  However, as soon as cold weather hits, someone finds the pool.  This time it was a young girl, roommate of one of my neighbours, who came down to take a dip.  She seemed very happy to see me.  We chatted for a while, as I was floating on my back.  "I like to dip for ninety seconds.  It's meant to be very good for you", she said, as she took off a covering to reveal an almost two piece.  The reason I say almost is not really because it was so scant it covered just the necessary, but moreso because she planned to get in the water with incredibly little protection.  I thought I was brave entering the water in a wetsuit.  She sat on the side, taking deep breaths and willing herself to get in.  I mentioned that once the water went below a certain level coupled with overnight temperatures dropping, I usually made the decision to stop the watersports,  Part of the decision also comes down to the fact that I normally stop and have a chat with Raul, our maintenance man.  After a swim in cold water, exiting into cold air, standing for any length of time without activity becomes uncomfortable.  "Sometimes, I get in and it burns my skin. When I get out I can't feel my arms and legs", said my companion. "But I have done the research and it is very good for you", she repeated as if to convince herself.  "When it is that cold, it is also good for you to wear a coat!  Or a jumper at the very least!" I almost said.  She did jump in.  It was more of a slip than a jump, but she squealed, counted to ninety and got out.  I watched in awe.  Of course, I told myself, I could do that!  I just don't have to!  Indeed, before the thought of the wetsuit, I would brave very cold water, and no doubt would still do so, if I did not have the advantage of the added protection.  

I continued to swim, after the departure of the 'ice queen'.  I do realise that I am blessed with being able to take advantage of this opportunity, and as my place of birth was suffering sub zero temperatures, with snow and ice, I am bathing in warm sunshine, it seems almost mocking to those who were huddled under blankets trying to keep warm, but for me, it was a little bit of luxury, and a return to some sort of normality after the last two weeks.  

Clearing the garden completed my afternoon, and I finally finished late afternoon, as the sun departed from my sunroom.  I had spoken to my sister in the morning, and tentatively settled on a time for my return, so we could 'sort' through some things.  I knew there would be little chance of full 'closure' until I returned home, especially as the thoughts of "I must tell mum" were still very strong when something happened during the week.

Warm weather and sunny skies continued through the week, whilst winter wonderland became a fixture across the pond.  I wore a summer dress and tartan shoes to a 'meet and greet' at the radio station on Monday.  Grant and I left the office and arrived at the given time.  The receptionist was checking ID's against her list as she saw us come up the steps.  Waving us in, other guests were looking to see who this couple was, who did not get 'carded', or 'list checked'.  "Hey, how are y'all", she asked, and without waiting for an answer, "Where's your daughter?"  I showed her pictures of little Teddy, and she swooned.  It occurred to me, afterwards, that three of us could have attended on one win, (winner and a guest,) and she probably wouldn't have batted an eyelid!  We were being watched by all the other 'winners', especially when one of the DJ's came up and said, "Hey, great to see you", and then, just before the performance, the receptionist came into the studio and sat next to Grant, announcing, "I will sit next to you, as I know you!"  It did make us laugh!  Lunch and a show!  Perfect!  Who did we see?  Dermott Kennedy.  A young Irishman, who is, it appears, topping the British and Irish charts with his latest album!  

Wednesday night saw the cooler weather, and by Thursday morning "good for you" or not, I was only slightly tempted to get into the water. I walked past the pool as the sun was rising, and it looked a very clear, crisp shade of blue.  It seemed odd that sometimes you can 'see' cold!

By the time the end of the week had come around, coats were out of the closet, and boots with sparkly, seasonal tights were being shown off.  My neighbour popped in with a present for the baby on Thursday, and we sat chatting for several hours.  Despite the fact it was rather late when she left, it was a lovely change to what would have been a 'regular' evening, and again I thought, "Mum will say...". Normally, mum would say, "Didn't you say it was late?" or "Why didn't you let her know you hadn't had dinner".  It made me think of things that I had not thought of in years.  Unexpected visitors. One in particular was a Frenchman who owned a ferry company, and called to say he was in London for a couple of days.  My dad called my mum to ask if she could 'stretch' dinner.  He left very late, I recall!  I would have reminded her of that!

The weekend was very cold, losing the struggle to stay above freezing early Sunday morning.  I had, thankfully, brought Edgar, the moringa tree, inside just incase the the temperatures did fall to below zero.  

Looking back, the week seemed to have lasted forever, although it did seem to fly.  I received several calls from friends, and would like to thank all, again, for messages of condolence and lovely words.  I am most grateful and humbled by the amount I have received.  

Amazingly enough, next Sunday is Christmas Day.  How much has happened in a year!  Apparently, this time last year I was returning from Las Vegas after a wonderful few days away with my daughter and son-in-law, not thinking for a moment that they would be parents by this time 'next year'.  

Normality steps back in, bit by bit, and Dana and I watched a very exiting game of football this morning, seeing Argentina win the world cup, beating France 'on' penalties.  It felt good to shout and whoop at the television, having no 'dog in the hunt' so to speak.  Life goes on!

Next week I would imagine will not hold much excitement.  People are already leaving town to be with family in far flung places.  Having not planned to leave town due to the new arrival, I am looking forward to 'quiet'.  Of course, with Christmas around the corner, I doubt those remaining in town will be quiet!  I am now off to make some seasonal goodies, to tempt all the last minute delivery guys and gals, to avoid the temptation of doing something that is "good for me" down at the pool.  I wonder if the 'ice queen' will risk it?  I am just going to cook myself into .... another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment