Search This Blog

Sunday, March 18, 2018

HAIR OF THE DOG!

The traumatic events of last weekend were not reflected in my post, albeit my mind was not on the subject, hence two critical errors, but suffice it to say, all's well that ends well. 

Friday, a week ago, Samantha took Frank to the vet.  He had not been 'himself', and was not moving freely, nor was he eating properly.  The doctor took an x-ray and the prognosis was not good. It was one of two things.  One was the removal of his spleen, but the other was fatal.  Obviously, she was devastated.  Not being a 'dog' person when I moved to the USA, I was surprised at my level of angst.  This puppy is part of my family.  Not only would I, too, be devastated at the loss, but I would also have to deal with my daughter's grief, which needs no explanation to all those mum's out there!  He was booked in for an operation on Tuesday!

Going out on Saturday and Sunday was to keep things running as normally as possible.  We could have sat at home, and waited for Tuesday to arrive, but we also wanted to be positive, and trust that the latter diagnosis was not going to be the outcome.  

When my alarm went off on Monday morning, I was wide awake.  Sleep had not wanted to make contact all night, and I rose, quite delighted that another night was now in the past.  Surprisingly enough, the dog had a renewed spurt of energy, and this both delighted, and concerned us.  Dana suggested that we go downtown, just to get out of the office, and to experience a change of scenery.  The positivity that was attempting to surge through all of us was becoming a little overbearing, and a little bit of respite would not go amiss.  Downtown I drove, and we parked outside the courthouse, which meant a good deal of walking.

I had received an invitation to a 'drop in', commencing at 2pm on the East side of the interstate.  Normally, we are treated to a sumptuous lunch, and much as my appetite was not particularly good, I thought it might be good to take advantage of the situation.  We walked the four blocks down and then six blocks up and finally found the venue.  "Hi, are you here for the drop in?" asked the lady behind a stand that had been somewhat crudely placed at the back of what looked like a storeroom.  "Yes.  Would you like to see my invite?"  I asked, as they are always requested.  "Oh no.  If you found us, you must have had an invite.  If you want to go into the other room, get a coffee or a drink, then come back and tell us about your 'drop-in' experiences.....".  That said it all.  Three people, other than a modicum of 'we really do not want to be here' hosts, were sitting at tables, working on laptops.  My 'drop in' experience was to be invited to a lunch every year, and how, or why, I received the original invite is still a mystery to me.  We wandered into the 'other' room, and made a quick exit.  No lunch today!

We made our way back across the Interstate, and over to the food truck area, where we sampled a lot of coffee.  Then we walked to the 'pop-up' coffee shop, that we had visited over the weekend.  

"This is the best grass fed butter you can find", said the promoter, standing behind the bar, with a jug of coffee and a block of Kerrygold butter.  He started to explain about how fat was now good for me, and the properties of the butter.  I told him, quite politely, that I had been eating Kerrygold since before he was born, and in fact since before it was bad for you, which was before it was good for you again!  He smiled, but was not impressed.  I appeared to know more about the properties of the butter than he, and a little more about coffee "We like to keep local" may have worked on some, but when I pointed out that the coffee may have been roasted locally, it does not grow in Austin, and Kerrygold is, and always has been, made with milk from Irish cows.  Ireland is about as far away from Austin, as the place they probably sourced their beans, albeit in a different direction. I think my need to educate is to prove my intelligence, rather than denounce theirs!

By Monday night, a calmness had surrounded me, and I slept for the first time in days.  However, I awoke in a less than serene state, and went downstairs to my safe haven.  With half a dozen egg whites sitting in my fridge, I made a variety of meringues, and waited for Samantha to arrive.  She had left the puppy at the vet, and was told that she could call at midday.  We were both walking on egg shells, (no pun intended,) not wanting to even think the worst.  She refused to prepare herself as it was 'not going to happen', and I had to stop my mind from going to the 'what if' scenario.  Instead, she looked at my attempt at 'macrons' and quite emphatically stated that they 'were not'!  I had not followed the recipe correctly!  We left for the office, and worked through a very long morning.

Image may contain: dogAt midday, we all sat at our respective desks, waiting.  Dana watched from his office, Jerry sat refusing to move until she had made the call, and my ears were working overtime, straining to hear if she was talking.  "He is okay!" came the report at five past the hour.  It appeared that the large mass was actually a tumour on his kidneys, and that is why the vet thought it was the spleen.  It had encompassed the whole area.  In fact, when she went to collect him later, she was told that the offending growth was so big, the kidney had to be removed.  It was the size of a mango, which in a dog the size of a sausage, is enormous!  They were surprised he could stand, let along run and jump!  It appeared not to be malignant, as the function tests done before the operation, were all good, and Frank had woken up quickly and was doing extremely well.  

Dana suggested we stick to our plans, and as the dog could not be collected until after three, we headed, quite happily, downtown.  We did not dwell on what could have been, but a few tears of relief were shed.  

We parked the car on the opposite side of the courthouse, which meant we had another block to walk, but it was a pleasant day, and we were quite happy to have our time taken up.  Down and along, down and along we walked until we reached sixth street, There was a new venue opened, and we stood in the queue for what we thought was a simple registration, as we have done in previous years.  However, it appeared we had fallen short of expectations, and not sent an RSVP, so we were not on the list.  We asked if we could just walk around the area just to see what was happening, and were told that the RSVP was just for the concert, later that afternoon.  Although we had not pre-registered, as we had not followed explicit, new instructions this year, we were handed a phone charger, out of sympathy, and a card which we were told to have stamped at each stall, to receive a prize!  We collected fruit snacks, water bottles, and a black bag containing a t-shirt, instructions on how to tie-die with bleach, and a coupon for a bottle of Pine-sol and a bottle of bleach, (nothing if not diverse, this festival,) and then were able to go up some stairs to get a better view of the (yet to start) concert, than those whom had received wristbands!  After having collected all our 'stamps', we were rewarded with a Pandora 'pin'.  I found my voucher for the bleach and Pine-sol to be a little more of a 'prize'.

No automatic alt text available.We then weaved our way through the streets until we reached the food trucks.  Everything seemed to be a little busier and brighter than last year, when the festival seemed to be a bit bland.  Once inside the area, we noticed long queues.  It was a 'queso fest'.  There were about a dozen vendors, all giving away samples of their liquid cheese, and each sample differing from the previous one in a surprisingly unique way.  "Duck sausage and jalapeno", said the lady at one stand.  "And do you have a spoon", I asked, naively.  "No, you use the chips", she said, and handed me an enormous bag of tortilla corn chips.  Black and white queso was next, followed by spicy, spicier and spiciest.  "You are English?  Do you know what queso is, because I had an Irishman here a while ago, who had never heard of it".  (I bet he had heard of Kerrygold!)  I told the vendor, that after fourteen years here, I not only knew what it was, but understood it to be in its own food group!  I am still unsure as to how vegan queso is made, but I sampled it nonetheless.  With another bag of chips in my bag, I continued on.

After eating the equivalent of a whole jar of cheese, and purchasing a bowl of extremely delicious noodles, we headed back to the car.  Austin is renowned for its food trucks, and we rarely take advantage of their wares, as we are not downtown often enough, or at the right time.  

Samantha left the office shortly after we returned, and called when she had 'pup in hand'.  He had apparently been awake for hours and was eagerly waiting for her to collect him. The vet explained that, like humans, he could survive on one kidney, provided it worked properly, and there was no reason to suggest it would not.  The dog was very spritely.

I went to Joe on Wednesday, and then to have my nails painted.  By the time I got to the office, the dog had worn himself out with all the attention he had received, but managed to stand and wag his tail when I entered.  The weight loss was quite pronounced, but he appeared to be quite alert. 

Although I am a great chocoholic, it is not a good idea to eat only chocolate for lunch.  This was my downfall, as the cheese suppliers had given way to chocolatiers.  We were downtown again by one! I made my way through the samples and felt quite light headed by the time I had finished.  I know why, through all generations, it has been told, "Dessert after you finish dinner!"

Once again, we went to the Pandora 'tent' and walked around collecting 'stamps' for a 'pin'.  Once again, we received a black bag containing a t-shirt, instructions on how to tie-die with bleach, and a coupon for a bottle of Pine-sol and a bottle of bleach!  "Would you like a free pedicab ride?" we were asked.  "Why not?" we said, and rode along sixth street on a seat affixed to the back of a bicycle.  It would have been quicker to walk, but it was a new experience.  However, the experience became a little less comfortable, when our 'driver' was unable to go along the road, and had to take the back alleys!  I did not feel unsafe, but the smell was rather putrid, and I would have gladly disembarked at any time!  The smell, however, was nothing compared to that which was permeating the air on the other side of the buildings.  Again, I was reminded why the contraband substance is known as 'skunk'.  

We arrived back at the office with our bags, and went back to work!

The 'changeover' day is always a little quiet, and gives way to a new breed of creature strolling the aisles, so to speak.  Thursday was a lot busier, and a lot more abrupt!  Some music was streaming from the bars, coupled with a lot of shrieking and screaming!  The best parties were 'badge only', and the big names were hidden from the likes of us that do not purchase a ticket.  Apparently, though, there is an 'Austin pass' that allows us 'locals' to buy a tremendously cut price, all inclusive, pass to all events.  I shall have to investigate next year, although I doubt I would attend much!  Going downtown 'after hours' interferes with my usual humdrum evening schedule!

Over at the food truck stop, there was more chocolate, which we devoured, and then walked along Rainey Street, where we were invited into a couple of 'bars' to experience some music and 'fun'.  The music was a little less loud, and the artists a little less flamboyant!  We were plied with 'Twix' bars, and had some pictures taken for good measure.  Our stay was cut short by the time restraints on the parking ticket, although there are only so many Twix bars a bag can hold, and we walked back towards sixth street.

Once again, we went to the Pandora 'tent' and walked around collecting 'stamps' for a 'pin'.  Once again, we received a black bag containing a t-shirt, instructions on how to tie-die with bleach, and a coupon for a bottle of pine-sol and a bottle of bleach!  We had to go to the registration stand to get our final 'stamp'.  "Would you like to register?" asked the young lady behind the desk.  We sighed and repeated that we had not followed instrutions, and not RSVP'd and therefore could not get a wrist band.  "Oh no, that's okay, you can do that now".  Obviously, the third day was not fully booked, probably due to the 'new breed' that had arrived in town, those whom had music badges and did not need to attend a free party.  We were given a wristband, and another phone charger.  I was delighted.  Something else to add to my ever growing collection!  

The Pandora tent was closed on Friday, and became a car park again.  We parked a little less close than Thursday but closer than the beginning of the week, and wandered down to the Convention Center.  On our way, we spotted a venue that had, in previous years, not been open to non-badge holders.  "Come in, please", came the voice, with the emphasis on the 'please'.  We obliged.  The new flavours of Diet Coke were on offer.  Not being a fan, I did sample to appease the pleading voice.  "Samples?  Would you like some?"  Edward drinks the beverage like it is going out of fashion, so I was happy to take a couple of cans.  "What flavour?  One of each?  Two of each?"  Apparently, the large drum that contained an enormous amount of cans had to be emptied by the evening, when another couple were going to be arriving.  Laden down with a dozen cans, we continued on our way.  

Walking past the back of the convention center, we witnessed a young lady, who was a little eccentric.  She was shouting at passing motorists, and everyone seemed to be giving her a wide berth.  However, she walked up to the Sheriff's deputy, who was standing at the back entrance, and put out her hand to shake his.  He seemed a little confused, but obliged, kindly.  She said nothing and walked on.  He looked around at his colleagues, shrugged his shoulders, and smiled.  As I walked past, I put out my hand to shake his.  He looked a little shocked, and then I laughed and told him, 'only joking'.  Once he realised that this was not the norm, and I was merely following an act, he started to laugh, and laugh, and laugh.  I do not know whether I would have been as bold with a British Bobby!  

Chocolate was eaten, and then we were plied (the word being used in context) with yogurt's.  "Would you like a yogurt?  Take one of each.  Take two of each".  There is only so much a back pack can hold, but we did have our Pine-sol bags which we had brought for good measure.  "Have you tasted La Croix?" (Pronounced La Croicks.) "I love La Croix!" (Pronounced La Cwoa!) I replied.  "Have a can.  Have one of each flavour.  Have two of each", and a hat, and a badge, and, and, and....!  I started to feel like one of the contestants in 'World's Strongest Man", lugging a 'sixteen wheeler'!

The Twix bar had given way to M&M's but the queue was rather long, and the venue did not open until 2pm.  We were half an hour early, so walked along the road to see what else was on offer.  "Have some yogurt!  Here, take two!"  The Maltesers bar was also a lot of fun!  "Have some chocolates".  I answered with "Not chocolates, Maltesers", but the look of "huh" across the faces of those promoting made me realise that the advertising has changed, at least on this side of the pond!

Signs were all around the Convention Center as the Gaming part of the festival began.  "No weapons allowed.  Costumes are liable to a search".  Despite the recent law passed in Austin, those were not the weapons to which the organisers referred.  "Lasers and other space armory are not permitted".  I cannot imagine what Thor is without his hammer!  Just Th!

By the time I got back to the office, my shoulders felt like those of Atlas, as I did, indeed, feel as if I had the world upon them!  Dana required a couple of things put into the computer 'now', and I did not have time to change out of my t-shirt and walking trousers.  The perspiration had been rather prolific, and anyone who thinks that a lady (and I am a lady, despite thoughts to the contrary) merely 'glows', was not talking about a lady that had to haul two dozen cans of pop up several hills!  Maltesers may be the 'light' option, but a few dozen bags definitely weighs!

I was not in the right frame of mind to venture anywhere on Saturday.  I merely wanted to curl up and sleep!  However, I was told by my daughter to 'stop it', when I suggested I could drop her and Edward downtown, and collect them later.  We did get Dana to take us down to Sixth Street, and we headed down the very busy street.  It was St. Patrick's Day, and everyone was celebrating.  I am unsure as to how many actually knew the origins of St. Patrick's Day, or whom Patrick was!  However, his 'day' was being celebrated with a variety of green items, and lots of beer!  I relented, and wore green socks!  

"Come in, please", came the voice, with the emphasis on the 'please'.  We obliged.  We waked around, and Edward sampled the different flavours.  "What flavour?  One of each?  Two of each?"  This time there were more barrels, and more cokes!  "You were here yesterday, weren't you!" came the statement.  "Have some more.  Do you have another bag?"  I did!  Despite the back pack, Pine-sol bag and Samantha's two, I had another one tucked away! Laden down with over two dozen cans, we continued on our way.  

After eating some chocolate, sampling some 'vodka' jam and having the 'holes' that were in between the coke cans, filled with Maltesers, we continued on our way.  I was not 'allowed' into the M&M bar, as I had 'liquids'.  The man who had checked my ID was most upset and told his colleague, who promptly gave me three pairs of sun glasses!  Samantha and Edward emerged a short time afterwards, and Edward became 'bag sitter'.  "Did you see that.  She grabbed, like, a few bags", said one man sitting at a table.  Yes, I did.  The small bags were in tubs all around the venue, and we had been told, "please take them".  They would have all been discarded, and left to rot (as quickly as candy rots) and it would have been such a waste!  I knew several people who would be glad of a few bags of the new variety, and after all, they had said, 'please'.  

After deciding enough was enough, we walked back across the 'closed to vehicles' roads, and went to Stubbs.  Stubbs is a wonderful barbecue restaurant, that hosts a lot of bands.  I have only eaten there once, with my friends Judy and David, when they visited Austin a few years ago, but had vowed to go back.  The food was delicious.  We queued for the outdoor venue, and our bags were searched.  "I promise I will not open one can", I told the man at the entrance.  He said that, ordinarily, it would not be permitted, but he would make an exception.  It occurred to me later, although I am not sure it was the reason, that when I retrieved my ID, it was from a small wallet that has 'Austin Police Department' written across the front!  In we went.  I was handed a can of beer, and then treated to hot dogs with sundried tomato salsa, whilst listening to the 'Jaded Hearts Club Band', a Beatles tribute band, singing all the really old Beatles songs.  I felt as if I had arrived.  Not quite dinner and a show, but more like what I would have imagined Glastonbury to be like, in the 60's.  I would not have partaken of the 'skunk', but standing holding a beer and singing in the sunshine was such a great feeling!

After a while, and I will admit only drinking quarter of the can, we headed across the river.  Once again, I was not allowed in!  "Liquids, food, weapons".  I saw the writing on the wall.  "Everything but the weapons", I answered.  I didn't carry hammers, nor lazers, and could not find any space armory!  I sat, again, waiting for Samantha and Edward to return, and called Dana to ask him to pick us up at his earliest convenience!  

Unfortunately, Dana could not get to where he wanted to be, but parked in a little area behind the center where we had attended the Job Fair last week.  We got into the car, all tried to keep the dog calm, as he sat on Dana's lap, wanting to jump across the seats, but being restricted by a 'donut' collar, (the third collar trial this week) and slumped back in our seats.  

Over for another year, the fun and frolics were exhausting, and I wonder why I put myself through the routine each time.  It is because I enjoy every minute of it.  Every ache, every moan and every bit of 'swag' that I collect, goes into the memorabilia bank that is my Austin collection!  I live here, and I breathe the air (which at times is a little conspicuous) but mainly, this is home (despite it never being 'home') and life is certainly different!  However, when there is a repeat performance, next year, I would like it to be without the drama!  

Oh yes! The errors!  The group, whom we had hoped to see, (and I am sorry, but their name eludes me,) did not open for the Backstreet Boys, but were a group on a programme, which Nick Carter co-hosted about the making (and presumably creating) of boy bands.  The other error, and perhaps the one that I have received the most chiding about, is that Batman, and the Justice League are from DC comics, and not Marvel!  What was I thinking!  I am surprised I am allowed out in public!

I am not sure what I shall do with the rest of my day, as my head is still reeling from all the events of the past week.  My daughter has reported that the dog has his appetite back, and I had a lovely 'face time' experience with my son and my younger grandson, so my world is getting back to where it should be.  As long as I do not have to play the part of Atlas again, next week, all should be fine.  Although I hope for a slightly less hectic week ahead, I am sure thee will be something for ............ another story!


No comments:

Post a Comment