Search This Blog

Sunday, January 21, 2018

NOUGHT TO SIXTY!

A diverse week was probably just what everyone needed, after
being back at work for a couple of weeks, after the yuletide festivities.  The holiday on Monday was perhaps not earned, but definitely looked forward to.  Samantha and I had decided to take a 'personal' day, and go to the outlet mall.  All recent trips have been to shop for others, and we have foregone any personal shopping.  Despite the necessity being debated, and the 'cons' generally outweighing the 'pros', we decided to go.

Before crossing under the interstate to get to the vast shopping centre, we decided to go 'awol'.  There was a 'western store' promoting an array of boots and other items that we thought might be interesting, so we took the unprecedented detour and pulled up in front of the large warehouse.  "Love the hat.  Is it a gambler?", said a member of staff, who had been wandering around offering help.  I thanked him and confirmed that it was indeed.  "Oh, you are English.  From the land of the Queen mother!", he said with a grin on his face, and walked away.  The urge to stay silent was not as strong as the one to correct the unsuspected uneducated stranger, and I called after him, "She died a few years ago".  Back into the area arrived the salesperson.  "So who is in charge?", he asked, a little confused.  "Who is the woman who is there now?"  The lesson ensued.  By the time we had finished, he could have sat an exam for citizenship of the United Kingdom, and perhaps give a seminar on the history of my royal family!  I felt as if my job was done, and we continued to browse.  

Samantha found a pair of boots, to which she was quite partial.  We asked for the price, and she decided to 'think about it'.  Lucchese boots, as I am very well aware, are not cheap, but they last a lifetime, and the pair that I won seven years ago, and which have been worn regularly, have only just required re heeling.  We left the building and headed out across the road to the mall.

Image may contain: 4 people, drink, coffee cup, outdoor, close-up and indoorGiving ourselves a time limit, we parked the car and walked around the first part of the complex.  Walking from one end to the other and back again, we covered close to a mile.  Although we entered several shops, we left all empty handed.  Getting back to the car, we decided to drive across to the other side, as there would be spaces, and it would be easier to exit when the time came.  After walking another mile, the only purchase we made was in Starbucks.  She had made the purchase via her telephone app, and as we walked into the coffee shop, two  lone cups were sitting on a tray to the far left of the cash desk.  The line of people waiting to be served watched, as we walked in and took the cups.  "Shall we take these?", said my daughter, with a mischievous grin on her face.  "I guess so.  Saves us queuing", replied her mother, from whom she gets the 'naughty' gene.  We exited amid stares, but no one said a word!

Returning to the western store, Samantha tried on the boots again, and decided they were worth a purchase. However, on coming to the cash desk, the price was more, quite a lot more, than previously quoted.  I told the cashier that we had been told another price, and her response caused the second lesson of the day.  I was rather peeved.  Perhaps I should not have pointed my finger, but it was a natural instinct.  "Please", I started, feeling the word gave a little bit of grace, but continued, "do not say you do not think so".  I continued with my rant, by telling her that just because a member of her staff told me something with which she disagreed, did not give her the right to call me a liar.  It was bad public relations. Accusing me of an untruth was probably not her intention, but it was her instinctive response, when I suggested the price was different.  She turned rather a deep colour of purple, and giggled but stopped abruptly, and I was rather concerned that she was going to burst into tears.  "Who told you that? asked the manager, and I tried to describe the chap to whom I had given a history lesson.  It was agreed, after confirmation from another salesperson that it was the price given, that the boots should be given at the price previously agreed.  The cashier vaguely apologised and took our money, and I felt no need to reiterate the pitfalls of her mistake!  After all, this is Texas; land of the 'laid back'.

We left the area, and returned to Austin, with the one purchase, and agreed that it was worth the trip, despite our lack of packages.

Image may contain: drinkDana and I went out for dinner, to the place where we had breakfasted the morning before.  The temperature, despite being rather mild during the day, started to drop, and we were aware that a big freeze was expected, with the possibility of snow.  As we watched the television on Monday evening, we saw the warnings cross the screen.  Schools were going be closed.  By ten o'clock, we saw that government offices were going to be closed, and the message function on my phone was 'pinging' with a vengeance.  Samantha was reporting that all courthouses, including the main County court, were going to be closed.  As Dana always determines our office holidays by whether the courthouse is open or closed, it looked like we were going to have another holiday!  After the decision had been made by my husband, as he did not think we would be able to drive on the slippery surfaces, I suggested we could walk to the office.  "In below freezing temperatures?" he asked.  I gave him a new title.  "You are such a southern boy!" I stated!

By midnight the wind was howling.  At around two thirty in the morning, we were woken by the trash collectors, who had presumably decided to get the job done before the temperatures dropped.  

There was no snow at the hours expected but as I went downstairs to make some coffee just before dawn, I decided to check how icy conditions actually were, and tried to open my front door.  It took all my strength to get the wooden block to budge.  Stuck fast, and iced into place, it was not going to be easy to accomplish my task!  When I finally dislodged enough of the stick, the cold air rushed in and almost took my breath away.  My porch area was frozen, and slippery.  This was most unusual.

Temperatures in England were 'double digits' higher than in Austin. I called my mother and told her that we were having another day off.  She did not seem particularly impressed with the severity until the answer to her question, "Did Dana go into work", was answered with a negative, and her response was, "Oh, so it is very bad then".

Snow, hail, sleet coupled with the strong wind, gave us the excuse to stay indoors.  I spent most of the morning in the kitchen, devising new recipes from old, and making a variety of desserts for our neighbour's 'get together' on Thursday, and a few extra bits 'just because'.  

Dana did manage to venture out in the afternoon, but did not stay at the office for too long.  I prepared dinner and we watched and waited for the prognosis as to whether we would be in the office the following day.
Image may contain: textMinus ten was not expected, but happened.  I got ready to leave the house on Wednesday morning, and drove to Joe.  The traffic was very light, and the ice was still stuck to the roads, despite the gritters having been out in force.  It took me less time to get from Joe's to my manicurist, Michele, than it usually does during the school holidays.  It was eerily quiet.  Although I have been guilty of using the sentence, when it snows in England, "everything comes to a standstill", it really does not!  However, many things were circulating around social media claiming, "Texas is closed!"  Opening slowly on Wednesday, the lighter traffic was rather refreshing.  

Not planned, Samantha and I took a walk to the supermarket at lunchtime.  Bundled up in hats, coats and gloves, we braved the cold and headed out.  On our way back we heard some sirens, and two fire engines sped past us.  The occupants of the bank situated along the road from where we work, were exiting the building. Two more engines came from the other direction, and two more were heading off the highway to the building.  "It is nothing more than nosiness", I said to a small crowd who were standing, stamping their feet, to dispel the cold, "but what is going on".  It appeared that there was a smell of smoke and the alarm had been set off.  "Probably someone having a puff on their e-cigarette", said Samantha.  

It took a tub and a half of salt to disperse the ice that were still on my steps on Wednesday evening, when I went to check the post. 

Slightly warmer, Thursday morning started early.  Our walk at lunchtime revealed the truth about the e-cigarette myth.  The bank was closed due to 'fire damage', and the notice gave instructions for customers to go to another location.  

Our neighbours' 'get together' was most enjoyable, and the extra time at home on Tuesday was appreciated!  

By Friday, coats were discarded, and the rain was not freezing.  We had come through the worst and were heading towards spring.  It seemed amusing that a few cold days could cause so much disruption.  

Flip-flops, t-shirts and shorts were seen on Saturday, and Texas was once again 'open'.  People were laughing about the 'snow' day, as if it was a 'blue moon'.  Being 'back in the 60's', referred to both temperature, and attitude.  Everything was 'cool, man', smiles were large, and attitudes were agreeable (not that they were disagreeable during the week, just confused).  

We had our 'annual meeting' of the homeowners association, and the mood was light.  I chatted to my English neighbour, who has now been living Stateside for 57 years, and still says things that causes her American husband to say, "What?"  

Our weekly shopping trip took place at a later time than usual, due to the meeting, and Costco was filled with people.  My daughter had not lost any of her sarcasm in the 'big freeze', and beat me to the punch on more than one occasion.  When offered a healthy snack, totally gluten free, she replied, "Sorry, but I can't function without a bit of gluten!"  

Nothing seemed to deter the locals on Sunday, as the rain poured, because it wasn't cold anymore.  Everyone was slightly, jokingly, apprehensive about having to work a full week, and wondering if we can somehow make the 'one full week, one half week' a precedent!  I am also thinking ahead.  In all the excitement, I think I forgot to mention that I won tickets to see the "Moody Blues"!  I am very much hoping that the concert will be worthy of ............. another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment