Search This Blog

Sunday, November 26, 2017

A PILGRIM'S PROGRESS

"Do you have Thanksgiving in England", is a question that is posed every year.  "Do you know the origins of Thanksgiving?", I would like to reply, but I simply shake my head and offer a demure, "No". 

The origins are often not recalled, and the focus becomes something other than what was originally celebrated.  However, I recall going down this road before, so I shall cease preaching and step down from my soapbox to provide my Thanksgiving weekend, which was also not wholly original.  I wonder what the Pilgrims would have made of twenty first century events!

I had decided, once again, to prepare a simple meal on Wednesday night, but when I awoke on Tuesday morning, my head was filled with a novel idea.  I am not sure how many people would awaken on a mid-week morning, thinking, "If I used a cheese pastry to make quiche....", but I would consider that I am in the minority.  

The quiches were (even if I do say so myself) a great success.  I took them to Joe and they were devoured, and then to my nail technician, who enjoyed them, and then on to work, where the rest were eaten very quickly.  My downfall was not making the original batch, but preparing another batch on Wednesday evening and Thursday morning!  I am my own worst enemy.  However, my thought was to add a little bit of home to the American holiday!  Would the Pilgrim's call this progress?
Image may contain: food
Thursday morning started early, with 'big bird' being pulled from his bath, and dried off, 'au natural', in a bucket!  He showed no emotion!  Potatoes had been peeled, and beans topped and tailed, although a list had not yet been made.  I made some pastry cases and meringues to take to Dallas the following day, and then started preparing the rest of the vegetables.  As always, I thought of the Pilgrims, and their probably naivety to broccoli cheese and the addition of modern day marshmallows to the sweet potato!

The trip to Randalls was not on the agenda, but I went with Samantha who needed to buy some items from the dessert, which she was going to make that morning.  I overheard the cashier saying that he was not going anywhere this year, and friends with whom he normally spends the holiday, were going out of town.  "Nobody should be on their own at Thanksgiving", I said to my daughter, who looked at me in horror at the prospect of asking a stranger to dinner.  "It is what they do here!" I said in my defense.  I had already been next door to my three young female neighbours and checked that they had plans, and pondered on whether I would be the same at home during the Christmas period, or any other time of year.  How would my family feel if I asked someone from the supermarket, to come and join us.  I don't think it would happen.  I called Dana to check whether he thought it would be appropriate to ask, and he said he would not be opposed.  It appeared, however, that the gentleman in question did have a female companion with whom he was going to share his repast, and the offer was not given.

Lunch was not so much lunch as an early dinner.  The turkey was inspected at the time it was meant to be ready, and as I stuck the sharp end of a blade into it's now rather toasted leg, the little red 'I am done' button popped out!  Perfect timing!  In went all the trimmings, and by the time Edward arrived home from work at around 4:30, everything was ready!
Image may contain: dessert and food
We feasted, and cleared away.  Eight hours of preparation, (not all dinner,) and one hour expended demolishing the fruits of our labour!  

Samantha and Edward left around six to go and find bargains which they needed not, and Dana and I went to watch the football, and play host to the dog!

Although most days start at five thirty, Friday was a holiday!  However, we were going to Dallas for the day, and the earlier we got on the road, the better it would be!  Coffee was put into travel mugs, the dog was given a quick breakfast and a walk, and then we set off on our travels.  At the usual destination, we gave the dog back to his mum and dad, along with a 'care package' of left over turkey and trimmings, and we received a box full of 'dry ice', and a loaf of bread.  I thought it was rather a good deal!  I had not 'made up' the desserts and had planned to 'pipe' when they were ready to be eaten, ad so put the cream filled pots into the box.

The trip up to Dallas was uneventful.  We stopped in West to pick up some bologna for Dana's brother, and the lady behind the counter engaged me in conversation.  She asked three times if I had a nice Thanksgiving Day, twice if I was visiting family, four times if I was on my way home, or going somewhere, and eventually admitted that she was just wanting to hear me talk!  The accent, apparently, being the reason!  I obliged, as I do!

Dana's 94 year old mother looked very sprightly, despite having to use a walker, and it was wonderful to see his brother, sister and brother-in-law again.  We had coffee, and then I walked around the kitchen from one cupboard to the next, wanting to help prepare dinner, but being told I was a guest!  I asked for a couple of tumblers in which to put my piping bags.  "A couple of what?"  Apparently, 'tumblers' are not a word used in them there parts, and again, after thirteen years, I realised there would always be something that caused confusion!  "Plastic cups or beakers?"  Those they had!  I put my cream and lemon cream into the two bags, which I stood in the tumblers and replaced in the fridge.  When dinner was over, I piped the mixture into the meringue baskets and pastry cups.  I believe they were a success!  

Cindy and I went for a very long walk, discussed family dynamics on both sides of the pond, discussed the similarity between our mothers, despite being ten years apart and quite literally oceans apart, and then sat in the sunshine at a park bench, and chatted some more.  We sympathised, empathised and categorised!  Both having grandchildren miles away was another subject upon which we cogitated, and although her boys are stateside, a vacation is needed to visit!  After a while, we repeated the walk and came back to the house, where we promptly left everyone to continue watching the football and sat in the back garden soaking up the last of the sun!  It was such a nice day and I was pleased that Dana could spend it with his family, although I did monopolise his sister!  

The journey home was quite quick, as the traffic was not too bad.  As we reached Round Rock Samantha called.  "Where are you", she asked.  I told her that we were just going under (what I call the County Line) Spaghetti Junction, and she said that she was just going over the same!  We both waved, despite the fact that neither of us could see each other!  Dallas and back in a day would have been unlikely in the sixteen hundreds, especially as most of Tejas was property of Mexico!
Image may contain: food
"Moaning mother in law day", as my son-in-law has so delightfully named the day, was Saturday.  We left my house at around 9:30 am, and set off in search of anything that took our fancy.  I was sat in the back of the car, with the child locks on, so I could not leave until someone opened the door, and wandered around shops until 5:30 pm.  I did not complain!  We visited Sam's and Costco.  I stood waiting for the couple to buy some pizza and was 'chatted up' by an American, who obviously had time to spare.  The flirting was just that, and I found it quite amusing.  He liked my hat, then my accent, and as I told my husband, 'even my long grey hair!' I bid my new friend farewell, and he went in search of his wife!  

We then went further north and I purchased a coffee maker, and a camera, before taking back my new stylish boots which I had bought a couple of weeks ago, due to them having frayed at the shin!  I must admit, I was all ready for an altercation as the salesman told me that if they were on sale previously, and the price had gone up, I would have to pay the difference.  The accent suddenly got very strong.  If there was a problem, a replacement should be made and the price honoured.  However, I was given a new pair of boots and a refund!  I did not argue with the price having been reduced! Whilst Edward was searching for a new high tech gadget, in the electronics store, I was watching a live football (soccer to those stateside) match, between Chelsea and Liverpool, and being told not to shout by my daughter, as the latter looked like they were about to score a goal.  Instead, I was hopping from one foot to the other, punching my fists in the air.  She was not quite sure which of the two would be less embarrassing!  

Edward left us in the dollar store, and went home to deposit their goods.  We walked across the busy highway, and went to Walmart to pick up a few vital grocery items.  Eggs, cheese and milk were all I needed!  Then he collected us and we headed towards the outlet mall.  Thankfully we did not go in, but instead visited the Western store where Edward tried on several hats before deciding they were all too expensive!  He would continue to wear Samantha's Stetson when the whim arose!  

The only time I made any comment that could be considered slightly 'groaning' was when they said they were going to the 'Outdoor' store.  "You are kidding, right?" I said, quickly followed by, "I don't mind, but I thought you were joking".  They were not! Bass Pro store is quite an adventure!  The foyer is decorated with all kinds of trophies and the first thing you see is the lane that leads from the front of the store to the back, which depicts a scene of farm land and animals, all along a ledge each side, with a beautiful blue, slightly white-clouded sky.  The store itself is an Aladdin's cave for sportsmen and hunters.  I sat in a very comfortable chair, for the duration of the visit!

"You are kidding, right?" was said only once more, when Edward, at 5:30 pm said that we had three more stops.  He laughed and said that I had done very well!

Dana took us all out for dinner and then Samantha took another 'care package' to make, what she called her 'ultimate Thanksgiving Rolls', which apparently crams in all the left overs into a small french loaf!  
Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, christmas tree and outdoor
I am not sure how much 'Thanks' was given, but my legs were thankful to be horizontal today!  The 'holiday' has turned into just that, a 'holiday', and whilst I am sure there are those that keep to the tradition, we are caught up in the festivities. I suppose I could stretch the truth slightly and refer to both Friday and Saturday as a Pilgrimage.  (No offence intended!)

Onwards and upwards, we head into December, and the next round of shopping, preparing and wonder.  I have refused to acknowledge the next round until the twelfth month. Let one holiday be over before another begins is my motto this year!  Otherwise, it is over before it has begun!  A full week is ahead of me, with lots of work and monotony and I am very much looking forward to it!  Perhaps I will have some deviation which will make its way to ...... another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment