Search This Blog

Sunday, September 24, 2017

COOKIE MONSTERS!

I was not ready for work on Monday morning.  Samantha had gone in early, but I had made up my mind to spend the 'wake up' time with the boys.  As there is a giant ocean between us, the opportunity to say 'good morning' to my two grandsons was not going to be missed.

Once in the office, I realised that the phrase 'can't have your cake and eat it too', has never been more apt.  With so much work piling up, I knew that I would have to divide my time in a way I would have preferred not to!  I wanted to go home and play.  However, Ollie had a horse riding lesson planned!  With one man down at the office, Samantha and I were going to take it in turns to help 'cover'.

Having a freezer full of food, I decided to make dinner on Monday night.  We are in Texas.  We eat beef!  I was going to do the traditional thing and grill some steaks.  

Considering we officially entered the beginning of fall, the temperature was hot, and the pool was delightful.  I arrived home a little after four, and met my family down by the water.  Laps are not really a possibility when a three year old is determined to learn to swim.  However, exercise is exercise, and making my way around the pool edge, hands on the sides, and feet parallel with my shoulders, is enough to build muscles somewhere!  I have never had much use for the 'survival' option, but this, apparently, is a crucial aspect of how toddlers are taught to keep their heads above water, literally!

The steaks were cooked, apparently, to perfection, and I was rather pleased with myself.  I had mashed some potatoes, made some macaroni cheese, rice and corn salad and a green salad, just for good measure.  My husband, who is my biggest fan, told me that he could not have had better in any restaurant, whilst my son-in-law, ever my biggest critic, told my husband (in humour, of course...I hope) that he had obviously not been to many good steak restaurants!  A good time was had by all, and whilst the kids had planned to go out for the evening, by the time we finished dinner, they were all a little too tired.

My routines went out of the window, and this did little to improve my organisation.  It did bring me to the conclusion that in order to know what day it is, I have to stick to my roster!  

Days rolled into days, and although I can remember the details, I cannot place them in order!  Ollie 'made' cookies for poppa Dana, and was really rather good at following instructions.  He carefully poured the ingredients into the bowl, a little at a time, despite his propensity to pour everything in at once, under the assumption that it would make the biscuits quicker, including the cooking!  We slopped the blobs onto the prepared trays, and I put them into the oven, turning on the internal light, so that he could watch them rise, which he did. Leaving his watching spot for only seconds at a time, to check on something 'very important', he returned and gave me a full report! Poppa Dana thought they were the best cookies he had ever tasted, which was all the three year old English boy wished to hear!

I did not join them for the visit to the zoo, although I would have dearly loved to do so.  It was, I believe, a very good visit, however, as Ollie got to feed Alan the Giraffe, and a goat, whose name was not remembered.  

One cannot come to Texas and not have fajitas!  The trip to the store was very interesting.  I simply went for some meat (as I realised my purchase over the weekend would not feed six of us. Being programmed for feeding two, I did not think coherently!) and some soured cream.  "Can you get....while you are there...would you mind....", were but a few messages I received.  I did not answer my daughter's text quick enough, and received a call to reiterate her request.  "What do you want now!" I said, rather too loudly, as the check out girl was passing my wares across the conveyor belt.  She looked at me with large eyes, and a big smile.  The aggression and impatience had completely passed her by, and despite my fear that she thought I was being rude to her, she simply said, "Wow, I love your accent.  Where are you from?"  What a blessing!  

The trip to the Olive Garden restaurant was definitely a 'trip'.  The waitress was adorable, and very sensibly, they put us in our own little section, which was like a small bedroom.  Amazingly enough, (although, I am sure this is not new, but there is no need to be too specific,) the children's menu is an 'Ollie' menu.  Obviously, this has no connection to the name of the restaurant!  The fact that their ravioli on the kids menu, is called 'Ricky', was even more of a treat for the little lad!  

Image may contain: tree and outdoorLate night shopping was on the agenda for Thursday evening, and Grandma was on duty again.  Feeding and bathing two children was exhausting, but reminiscent of a bygone age, when I did the same deed every day. However, like 'riding a bicycle', it is something you never forget how to do, and the operation became swift.  Chicken nuggets and fish sticks are two inventions that should have been given an award!  Completely uninterested in their nutritional quality, I fed them to the boys, with my own 'cheesy pasta' for good measure.  

It is interesting, too, how as a mother, I was concerned about the amount, and content, of films and television programmes my children absorbed.  As a grandma, I think that you can't watch too much!  Once again, we watched Moana another dozen times!

The biggest challenge of the week was when Richard took Steph out for their anniversary.  "Do you mind if we stay out for the night?" he asked, before they arrived.  As a married man of 32, I said I did not have a problem with him not coming home.  "Will you be alright with the kids, overnight", was responded with "I have done it before, you know", without thinking.  As the day approached, I wondered if I was really up for the task.  Why I was so worried was beyond me.  

Leaving work at three was probably the biggest challenge, but I managed to get my desk reasonably clear.  Driving downtown was not particularly busy, but the return journey would be quite a different story.  I was very diligent, and decided to attempt the 'back way', which proved to be a much better route, and surprisingly enough I did not get lost!  Keeping parallel to the main highway, I sped along and finally reached home in record time!

Samantha had volunteered to help, as she does not see her nephews very often, and this was a big treat.  We took them to the pool, and swam until thunder stopped play.  Although there was no rain, and the rumbles paled into insignificance, it was probably time to head upstairs.  After bath and supper, and a bedtime story, it was time for me to sit down and have some dinner.  Dana had gone to my favourite fast food Mexican cafe, but it had closed its doors forever. I was rather sad.  Instead, he went to a less preferred one much nearer home, but it was welcomed.

Saturday morning started with the predicted, "Where's my mummy and my daddy".  Bribery is a grand parent's prerogative, and the promise of a cookie was enough to get Ollie to come downstairs to have some breakfast.  "Don't want breakfast", came the next comment, which I had also predicted.  After the 'terrible twos', come the 'negative threes', where everything that is asked is responded to with a very definite, "No!"  However, it can also be said that my grandson now thinks his name is 'don't touch'!  Not particularly bothered by the fact that things might get broken, I am more concerned about the harm he will inflict upon himself.  As I told one of my daughter's friends, as a grandparent, I am a lot more anxious about the children's safety, but will feed them anything!  
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting

Jamie was fed his porridge and Ollie was frowning.  I made some French toast.  "Don't want French toast", was followed by, "Did you just put that in egg", and then "Did you just flip that over", and then, "Can I have some".  Two slices later, he decided he rather liked French toast, and asked if he could have some more.  'Auntie Matnee' arrived shortly after breakfast, and dressed the little boys while I got ready myself.  In Texas Longhorn regalia, they certainly looked the part!

A trip to Costco was followed by lunch at Chic-Fil-A, and then a 'run around' in the restaurants kids' area.  Climbing up steep steps, and sliding down tubes was enough to run out some energy!  "Don't do that!" said another mother to her child.  When she asked if her son could hear her, and asked if she could have a "Yes ma'am", Ollie looked rather confused.  I did not try to explain to a three year old the difference in language!

The pool was once again the saviour of our day on Saturday, when Samantha and Steph went to get their nails manicured.  Samantha had collected her brother and sister-in-law from downtown, and had taken Ollie with her.  Dana came down to 'help' with the boys!  

Image may contain: 2 people, swimming and outdoorThe birthday party on Sunday was very successful.  It as rather disappointing that more children could not attend, but those that did had a great time.  Samantha had invited a few of her friends who had kids, to celebrate, albeit a month late, Ollie's third!  The pool was completely vacant, and the kids, and parents, enjoyed splashing around for a couple of hours.  I had taken my 'prize' grill down, and Edward was in charge of cooking burgers and hot dogs.  We also had cake!  By the time everyone had left, we were almost ready to leave, but two of my neighbours came down to complete a work project that one of them had to complete, which comprised of a photo shoot of people enjoying themselves in a summer setting.  We obliged, and were rewarded with the main content of the promotion, which was champagne. It was a shame that the guest of honour was not old enough to enjoy!

We finished off the evening, Texas style, with a 'take out' from Rudy's Bar-b-q, and ice cream!  

With only a few days left of their holiday, I am feeling quite emotional at having to see them leave.  However, it has been an experience for Dana, and he finally got to meet my grandsons, and become a grandfather.  He has done very well!  Watching Ollie imitate his 'poppa', has been quite the treat.  If Dana lays down to play with the dog, Ollie copies his pose.  If Dana calls the dog, his 'Buddy', so does Ollie.  

I will have a lot of reorganising to do when they leave, but I think I will be rather reluctant to put the house back to normal!  It has been so much fun.  However, all good things come to an end, and I am grateful for the time we have had.  With lots of photos to remind me of fun times, and memories, I shall have trouble keeping dry eyes to write ............. another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment